1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Side of the road.

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Aug 26, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Mourners placed a white cross and flowers at the intersection. Why do people put flowers and crosses,stuffed animals, and other things on the side of the road were people are killed. Do they think the people that were killed are still there? Before long this stuff will be everywhere.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

dunno to what you're referring, though that practice is common.

People's grieving actions don't always make sense. They want folks to be "remembered."

I've always taken it on myself, as a minister, to make suggestions to folks as to how they can commemorate the life of another, but do so in a way that benefits someone else or truly serves the deceased's memory well...preferably both.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe some of the mourners hope that people like you and I will learn from that tragic end and slow down, look more carefully, whatever.

4. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I am talking about the memorials on the side of the road. Why would you do that. It just looks like litter. When did this start we did not do it 30 years ago. They should be put on the grave. Most places will not let you lay things on the ground it has to be on the tomb stone so it will look neat. So why do people pile stuff on the side of the road?

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of ours was killed by a drunken driver right at Christmas last year. Every time we drive past that spot on the interstate, we see a white wooden cross placed where the crash occured. It always reminds me to say a prayer for the family when we pass it. I don't think of it as clutter, as it's not in the way of anything. His children who died with him are buried out of town near their biological mother. The cross marker is a place where the families and friends can come and pay respects. As long as they take care of that little spot on earth and keep it cleared or updated, I certainly won't object.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Even though such displays are illegal here, they happen. They can become a hazard, and CDOT usually takes them down when they come across them. The state will erect a memorial sign at the spot someone was killed by a drunk driver, though.

7. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Some entersections have 2 or 3 on everycorner. 20 years from now what will it look like on that corner?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Most local entities in Alabama will allow the "stuff" (sorry, don't know of a better term) to stay up for 2-3 weeks...then all is removed except for a small cross. It must not impede vision, and then it can remain.

This isn't "law" in AL, but it's followed fairly consistently. And provided it's not a hazard, I'm fine with it.

Like I say...I try to "re-direct" if it's a situation I have say about.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your point. Although, I've never seen the tractors mowing around them. Where I come from, it's an unwritten rule that the family mow or weed eat around their own markers. Teddy bears, balloons, etc. could become a problem.

After 20 years, sorry, but it's time to take it down. Maybe they should be left up for a few weeks or so or until the DOH mows again, I don't know. Around here, the deer carcuses and other roadkill are a much bigger driving hazard than a little white cross by the roadside.