1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Simple definitionof of Fundamental Baptist

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by WHYME, Nov 4, 2005.

1. WHYME

WHYME New Member

Basically all I can see is that the FB believes the same as an SBC with the exception that they defend their belief more adamently as far as even openly disputing those who in error and actively attack (verbally of course)heresy where as SBC tend to ignore it.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I don't think there is a simple definition....although I know others can give you a good history that might be able to present you with a simple definition.

Im going to present a part from an INDEPENDENT fundamental Baptist, which may or may not be what you intended. But the main difference we have in that regard would be actual independence. FOrming associations and conventions and fellowships, where a group of churches are responsible to a central committee or a head church, is something we don't beleive is Biblical.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There is too wide a spectrum of fundamental Baptist to try and define the term simply.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Much to wide a spectrum, which is why I am also Independent.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BapMom,

You wrote above, "where a group of churches are responsible to a central committee or a head church, is something we don't beleive is Biblical." SBC churches are really just as independent as the IFB churches. There is no "central committee or head church" that controls a single local SBC church.

SBC churches on the Associational (local), State conventions, or National (SBC) convention level have absolutely no binding on the local SBC church.

We are bound together for two reasons and two reasons only: for missons and for eduational purposes. There are a lot of IFB who believe like you have confessed and it is just not true. Each congregation is responsible to hire & call its own pastor (they are independent contractors just like the IFBers pastors), raise their own money, build their own buildings, send messengers to the above annual or monthly meetings, send money to the Co-0perative Program (combined moneys to do the missions and educational programs) and any and everything else. NOTHING DONE AT ANY SBC MEETING IS BINDING UPON THE LOCAL SBC CHURCH. Whatever is done is strickly voluntary.

Food for thought!

sdg!

rd

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thank you Rhet,

but there IS a central committee tying them all together. Obviously its voluntary, part of which makes "baptist" a title rather than a true denomination. ALL Baptist churches are essentially independent, but some have chosen to group themselves together in varying degrees and for varying purposes. Even strictly for the purposes of missions and education we find it to be something we disagree on.

Id also add that Fundamental as a description is so very broad that you find people in all sorts of baptist churches that call themselves fundamentalists.....don't you think thats right for the most part?

I mean you can find Fundamentalists in SBC churches, I guess, too.....right?

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I think being independant is okay and being fundamental is okay. I think it is when you combine them to become an independant fundamental is where you come across the legalistic, KJVO, Westboro church crowd.

Of course this is a general statement and not all inclusive for all IFB.

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, fundamentalism is seen as too broad to be defined. I am almost to the point where I do not believe it exists - most fundamental churches I have seen in my life are not that, they are legalistic.

I know of one church that claims to be IFB that is a really good church. The rest around here go around shouting "heretic" more than they proclaim "Jesus saves!".

I myself am Southern Baptist all the way eventhough I think there is a built in problem in alot of the SB churches because of the CBF having more of an influence on alot of the churches today.

If being fundamentalist was purely standing upon the fundamentals of the faith then you could call me one (and alot of others).

9. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way... I pastor an Independent Baptist Church now. Not IFB though..

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Brother Ian.............

Im having a hard time sitting here and calmly responding to you putting Westboro in ANY legitimate group of Baptists.....

Much less my own!

There is nothing hateful about being independent and Fundamental....and there's nothing hateful about them when you put them together.

untangled,

im curious, why would you say you aren't IFB though? I mean its not a denomination or an association.....

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there really a difference between the North American Mission Board & the International Mission Board (both SBC) and Ind Bap missions such as ABWE, BIMI, BBF and ect. Some say a SBC local church does not have a say how their mission money is used. There are some Ind Bap Mission Boards that REQUIRE the missionary to provide a percentage of his monthy support to the mission board. Several years ago, I started a church in Texas. Soon after we called a missionary pastor from the Galilean Baptist Mission. Their policy was the missionary kept 100% of his support. The local church was to give 10% of its offering to GBM.

Salty

PS Galilean Bap Mission later merged with Fellowship of Baptist for Home Missions and was remamed Baptist Missions of North America. (was trying to find a link for both, but was unable, any help would be appreicated)

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

SaltCity,

no, I would say there's not much of a difference. The only difference would be that the mission boards are not a church, and thus its not one church exerting authority over another church.

HOWEVER, not all independent mission boards are like that. We are still looking for a good one. I quite often wish we could just go without one. The more I hear the more I think they may be alot more trouble than they are worth.

Perhaps thats an idea for another thread?
    Pros and Cons of Mission Boards....

Actually Id like to see thoughts on it.

We are thinking of going with a mission board that is run by a local church.

Ive also heard of one or two mission boards that are not supported by missionaries at all. Instead they are run by volunteers and any support that does come in for them is in the form of money given to the board for the express purpose of running the board. They are run as if they themselves are missionaries as well...so they get their own support that way.