1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Simple Networking

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, Oct 22, 2006.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Just wondering, is it possible to connect two computers over phoneline/modem & the second have the capability to get online from the host computer which has broadband? Or do I HAVE to use a router? I know she can get acess to files & vice-versa but not sure bout internet.
    Any help appreciated!!!

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure you can. Was told you could once but never figured it out with the info I had. Just run the networking wizard and see what it will do.

There used to be a phone line setup called anypoint don't remember the name. It was for dialup not broadband but might work ???

Why not just run the cat5 cable between the two and do network wizard?

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Duh....whats a cat5? Anything like a squirrel2?? Iran the wizard on this one, it set up for "incoming connections" but don't tell me anything helpful. I've NEVER messed with networking at all so all this is new to me. Just trying to see if I could get Agee online on hers without having to buy a wireless router & all.
    Oh also, I use 2000pro & she wants to keep 98se...will that work?

#3 preacher, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what is going on, this is the third attempt to post :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-AnyPoint-Wireless-Home-Network-1-6-Mbps-USB_
    W0QQitemZ290040768838QQihZ019QQcategoryZ45002QQssPage
    NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290040768838

Is a wireless version of the intel anypoint system I mentioned. If you have usb this might work for you.

If you need phone line type they have one with phone line only.

One thing - I think that you have to have the phone line into one unit and to the computer then a phone wire to the other computer. I don't know if you can just plug two puters into two phone jacks in different rooms. You'd want to check on that.

cat 5 is the wire that goes to the network card in your computer or builtin network jack. It is like the phone jack only bigger.

If you don't have builtin or a card you could pick up cards and a router fairly cheap these days. However not all routers will work with dialup. I have a us robotics unit that works fairly well with it, but it took me the best part of a day to get usrobotics to configure it :)

I have three disktops wired and a laptop wireless and the system works well.

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Thanks!
    I'm fixin to go in the sewing/Agees computer room to take two & make one. When finished IT will have ethernet card (is that what ya meant by cat5?), & a modem (if it's working). What I want to try is connect the two directly modem to modem. This is supposed to be possible but don't know how much access she'll have to mine. But I WILL find out!!! If it don't do what we want then I'll bout have to go with a loooong cable, or wireless, which I know ain't real expensive to get....but hey!!! ya ought to know me by now...thats why we still have these antiques. Seems like I always run across old ones & like'm.
    Will have to break down though & buy some more ram for hers!

Well ...there will be no ethernet, built in on the wrong puter! So's if the modems way don't work it'll be parts orderin time!!

#5 preacher, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not the networking expert by any means; but I would not attempt the connection you're trying.

If I understand correctly, you're trying to:

cable modem <--> computer 1 <->modem <-> computer 2

With the hopes that you'll be able to use internet on computer 2, through computer 1.

While theoretically possible, computer 1 would be getting broadband speeds, while computer 2 (if lucky) would get around 50Kbps (if your broadband is a 1 Mb, then computer 2 would be getting approximately 5% of the speed).

Yes, buying a Cat 5 cable could mean getting an insanely long length, depending on the distance between the two computers; further, you can't use just a regular Cat 5 cable. You'll need to get a "cross-over cable." Then you'll have to run the internet wizard to ensure your primary computer allows the second computer to work through it.

I don't know anything about the phone solution y'all have been discussing, so can't make any recommendations there.

If I were to give you a recommendation, and again, I'm not the expert here, I'd advise you to consider a wireless router. Look for a second-hand shop, because what you seem to be looking for doesn't need to be top-of-the-line-latest-technology stuff. I checked out pricewatch.com, and you can find some no-name wireless routers for ~$20. Wireless access points, cards, etc. for the computers run about the same; if the main computer is close to the cable modem, which would attach to the router, you could run a cable between the router and the primary computer, and only need a wireless access point for the second computer, making your cost ~$50.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Yep, looking bout the wirless is the way I'll have to go. But like I said, it was just an idea! You CAN network over the modems, but just to share files & such. If both computers were more powerful it might do more, but have to work with what we have. Thanks to all!!
    Now I gotta finish puttin Agee's computer back together....thanks again!

8. been_around

been_around New Member

If computer #1 has a broadband connection, computer #2 does not need a modem. Computer #1 needs two ethernet cards and computer #2 needs only one. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) needs to be enabled on computer #1.

Another (simpler) option would be to use a router.

9. kubel

kubel New Member

I think you would be better off investing in a router. I'm not sure theres an easy way to set up a 56K network if it's even possible at all.

Running CAT5e or CAT6 cables into your rooms with computers (and having them all merge near your DSL/Cable modem), and then purchasing a router would be a cheaper and more reliable solution than using wireless.

You can get wireless routers with 4 wired ports for a reasonable price just about anywhere. I think this would be the best way to go, since you will get best speeds and reliability with your desktops wired, and also leave some room in the future for a wireless laptop/pda/etc...

Only problem is punching holes in your walls and feeding cables in and terminating the cables. But it's well worth it in the end and adds to the value of a home if it's done right. Not a good idea if you're renting.

Going entirely wireless would be much easier, but it would be a little more expensive (as it would require a wireless card per desktop), would be slower, and would be less reliable than a wired connection. You also have to take into consideration range and signal interference- so make sure you position the AP in a centralized location.

10. preacher

preacher New Member

Been sick a few days so just gettin back around....Thanks again folks . Looks like I will have to go the wireless route though. We rent, so don't want to put too many holes in the walls!! But i just thought of somethin....since the computer I use is also my work computer mabey I can deduct some of the upgrades!!!! Yeah Yeah I know I know!!