1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin and Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Lacy Evans, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

It's just that there are so many other factors than a simple list. A person who has never sown mercy at all is gonna be in a world of hurt at the JSOC for the smallest of sins. But a man who has habitually and bountifully sown mercy will recieve mercy good measure, pressed down and shaken together for whatever sins he has committed.

How much you are given is a factor in how accountable you will be.

The effect you have on God's little ones is a factor.

Your list of particular is way over-simplified. Sin unto death means god kills you. We are not to pray for it because the man cannot repent after death. We are only to pray with his repentance/restoration in mind.

lacy

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your question (if it be one) is to wide-sweeping and general for a simple answer.
    Are you speaking of the unsaved?
    Are you suggesting that there are degrees of punishment in the Lake of Fire, as those verses suggest.
    Are you speaking of the eternity of believers and the loss of reward at the JSOC?
    Are you speaking of the chastening hand of the Lord on this earth?
    I can't answer your question unless you narrow your question down considerably.

Nevertheless sin is sin. God says it is. All sin is a transgression of the law. Breaking the commandment in one point is the same as breaking the entire law. (James 2:10). If you break the law once in your entire your life you are cursed (if you live under the law). Gal.3:110. The law condemns. It shows us our sin. Sin comdemns. God hates sin.

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

All sin is equal in God's sight. It is horrid, evil, abhorrent, and he won't condone it.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

all sin cannot be equal if there is one we are not to pray for.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Salvation in only four easy steps!!!

Sounds like a 'wealth' 'info-mercial'.

"Men and brothers- What must I do to be saved?" "And they said unto him, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house."" (Acts 16:30-31)

Obvioulsy, in your mind, Paul and Silas left out three of these important points.

This is the only place in Scripture, to my knowledge, where this direct question is asked and answered. It seems clear enough to me.

Oh yeah, somebody named Jesus once said, "Truly, truly, I say unto you, He that believes on me has everlasting life." (John 6:47)

Guess Jesus must have missed it, too. :rolleyes:

A little exegesis might help, especially the part about confession, and calling on the name of the Lord.
    And one will never "get it right", until one understands "repentance" for salvation is not about sin, but a change of mind toward God and about the Son!

Ed

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Seem Jesus said a little more.

Matt. 19:
    : And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18: He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19: Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    20: The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21: Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

I sure don't think we should leave this one out.

Jhn 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There's more You wouldn't believe how many of these there are.

Mar 16:16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

#105 Brother Bob, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

DHK; this one scripture blows your all sin are the same out of the water.

1Jo 5:16If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually He said a lot more, but you are confusing "discipleship" with "salvation", again. The passage you bring forth does not say this is to be saved, but if you will enter into life, "keep the commandments". You might notice the 'ruler' asked "Which ones?" Jesus only answered him by quoting those that applied to other people. He never mentioned he first four, nor here did he say, "Thou shall love the Lord, thy God, etc,"

And followed with "One thing you lack! " (Notice this was not enough, and Paul will say the same thing later, as well.) "But if you will be complete, go, etc."

Scripture says he went, alright, - went away sorrowful, for he was very rich. He was confused about the cost of discipleship and free salvation- his idea, no doubt, confused by what he possessed. He was not alone in the confusion, obviously.

Ed

#107 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
  8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Can you become one of His deciples without being "saved"?

And these?

I sure don't think we should leave this one out.

Jhn 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There's more You wouldn't believe how many of these there are.

Mar 16:16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

I can get you 10 or 20 or more.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jesus told some 'Except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish'.

Seems Jesus thought repentance was necessary.

Paul wrote in romans 10:9,10,13 that one must believe, confess and call on the name of the Lord.

All these are necessary, not just belief. The devils believe that Jesus is the Christ, yet they are not, nor can they be, saved.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

When is one going to tell me what exactly is "the sin unto death"? I know there is one, and want to know what it is!

Obviously none of us have done it, yet, for we are still talking on the BB!

AND I don't want to do it, so I need to know what it is, from someone with this 'advanced revelation' or maybe 'improved comprehension' beyond what God has allowed me to grasp, since I can't seem to find it defined in Scripture.

So help me out, and tell me what it is, please!

Ed

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

HBSMN: hope you don't mind my posting this, I think its necessary.

There are only two verses in the Word of God that speak of a 'sin unto death'.

1 John 5:16 (KJV) If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
    Here, 'Thanatos' is used again. Figurative? Literal? Sin, in this verse is not the same as in Romans 6, it is the Greek word 'hamartano'. There are more meanings for this word here. Its meanings are '(as a negative particle) properly, to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize), i.e. (figuratively) to err, especially (morally) to sin:--for your faults, offend, sin, trespass'.

#111 Brother Bob, Feb 20, 2007
  12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I fully have agreed that 'repentance is necessary'. Absolutely! I just don't agree that repentance is directed at sin, and find these words nowhere in Scripture, least of all, having to do with salvation. Repent! i.e., change your mind about Jesus? Absolutely! This is the 'flip side' of believe, in other words. One cannot 'believe' without 'repenting' and cannot 'repent unto salvation' without 'believe'.

BTW, the oft cited verse from James, does not say "the devils (demons) believe that Jesus is the Christ, but that they believe there is one God. Nor does Scripture ever even have a hint that salvation was available to the demons, in any fashion whatsoever, either.

Ed

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I pray you never experience it Ed;

He that walketh after the flesh shall die. There Ed, should get them about all.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Nite all, hope you have a good night.

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

You are right, the verse in James speaks of one God, but the demons in the demoniac knew who Jesus was, and they knew His power. The devils do believe who Jesus is.

As to the repenting, I have already shown in the Hebrew that it means to turn. The scripture says Repent and turn from your transgressions.

#115 His Blood Spoke My Name, Feb 20, 2007
  16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

John uses the word "believe" 99 times in his gospel, alone. And as John wrote the only books said to be written specifically in this manner -, one for salvation and one for assurance, I'd say he had it right.
    Am I the only one who finds it strange, that John never once uses any word for repentance in these books, nor in his other two letters, either, after making these claims? If it were as some are claiming, John and the Holy Spirit were obviously not giving everything that was needed.

No, "repentance" is the 'flip-side' of "faith" (both nouns), just as "repent" is the 'flip-side' of "believe" (both verbs), so to speak, and I say that again, for any who missed it the first time around!

Ed

#116 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
  17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

On the 'repenting' bit, I also showed that you are leaving out the word "AND" in your eisegesis - 'er I mean exegesis - of this verse, and that it should be translated as Darby, ASV, YLT, et. al., render it as "Turn again, AND turn from your transgressions..."

The usual word for repent - "nacham" - is not found here, as you correctly pointed out. But to override the hundreds of uses for "shub", "shuv" or "shuwb", however one likes to transliterate it, of "turn","turn again","return", and/or "convert" (NT "'epistrephO"), with the three uses where the KJV rendered it as "repent" is poor exegesis, at best, IMO.

And there is no way the NT words about repentance, unlike 'convert' ("'epistrephO"), have anything about 'turning' inherent in the words, themselves. But why let Biblical words interfere with some 'perfectly good theology'?

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:, again!

Ed

#117 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
  18. His Blood Spoke My Name

You said it, your opinion.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That may well be a 'wonderul thought', but it still does not answer the question I asked.

BTW, where does Scripture say "walketh after the flesh" at all, in any version"? I know it says one might "live according to the flesh" in Rom. 8:13. (NKJV)

Ed

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, I found me a "closet" KJVO-er! Glad to see you out in the open!

:laugh: :laugh:

Or if not, I found me one that will take a minimum of Scripture over a maximum of Scripture to 'prove' his or her point.

:laugh:, again!
    G'nite, all! :wavey:

Ed