1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin in thought

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ByGracethroughFaith, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

Sin in thought being the root of all other sins, it is something that everyone needs to be acutely aware of. Here is some good instruction on the topic.

From this book
    http://www.gospeltruth.net/sos/sos_titlepage.htm

BGTF

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
    22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Sin is not the physical act, by the time you get to the physical act you have already sinned in your heart.

3. standingfirminChrist

I find it interesting that many, when quoting Matthew 5:21 always leave the 'without a cause' out. They say to be angry is sin. Yet we know this to be a false statement for Paul wrote:

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: (Ephesians 4:26)

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find that interesting, too. The reason behind it is that the phrase "without a cause" is not in the manuscripts. Your Anglican translation add to the Word.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Do you live on an island? "There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" seems to be the watch words of so many on this list. If one cannot help but sin, and anyone that claims they have through the power of the gospel been made free from sin is automatically called a liar, what does this post add to the discussion? If sin is unavoidable, what matters if it happens I the heart or actions, the results are the same for the believer, or so we are told. It is all under the blood before we ever think the though or commit the action, and sin has nothing to do with our standing before the Lord, neither in gaining or keeping our salvation.

Tell me BGTF, what is the import of your post? Are you just trying to add condemnation where it is said that there is none possible?

6. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

Did you ever see one of those gopher pop-up machines? People actually pay money to keep a sharp eye for a gopher to pop up early so they can give it a good whack on the head. They know they are going to keep popping but their objective is to give every one of them a whack on the head.

Since repentance means a change of mind from loving sin to hating it, I figured all those who make a claim of repentance, would like to detect sin’s early risings in themselves and want to give each of them a good whack on the head. Sure others may pop up shortly thereafter, but since the repentant heart hates them so, I want to make sure everyone knows how to spot sins at their very root, and give each of them a good whack before they get too big.

Now because sin keeps arising it does not mean that a man gives up the battle against it (Romans 6), that is to fall into the antinomian error. The real battle with sin is only fought by the Christian. The heathen never battle with sin because they don’t see it as a problem, in fact they enjoy sin, or love it, being yet in an unrepentant state.

Sanctification is to be desired by a repentant heart, so I want to give you a picture for it.

On a scale of 0-100, God’s perfect holiness being 100, and an unconverted man’s holiness is 0. On conversion God does not show the man all of the difference otherwise it could drive the man to despair. He will show the man the first 5%, at which point the man will get working on, and cleaning house (the beginning of sanctification). Some only make it this far and believe they have reached a state of sinless perfection, these are merely self-deceived hypocrites. The real Christian man makes good on the 5% and at that point God shows him 5% more. The man says “This was here all this time? I thought I was done, how come I never noticed it before?” and promptly gets to work at cleaning up the newly found sin. He proceeds further until he gets to 25% at which point God says “The man thinks he is getting a little stronger now, I will now show the man more of the difference that he remain humble”, so God now shows the man 10% more. The man looks at the 10% difference between where he now sits and what God’s perfect holiness is and says “I am going to a wedding (assurance), Lord help me keep me keep shining (sanctification) this rotten old soul (humility) up so I can be the best bride I can be.” And so on…..never reaching perfect holiness, but always striving towards it.

Sometimes a good, honest look at our own hearts can be a scary thing.

BGTF

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Tough hair to split, being angry and turning the other cheek/loving them the despitefull use you.

I find the entire contrast interesting, Jesus compares being mad without a cuase to murder???

Imagine two guys in the prison. What yoiu hear for? Murder Man. Why you here, I got mad without a cuase...