1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin Nature?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Amy.G, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can disagree all you want. From the very beginning I defined my terms. Death in the Bible means separation. Physical death is when the spirit is separated from the body. Spiritual death for an unsaved person is when the spirit is separated from God.

However a believer can experience spiritual death also. It is being separated from God spiritually. He doesn't lose his salvation. The Holy Spirit remains with him. But his fellowship with God is affected. He is separated by his own sin. Say what you will, but sin separates us from God. We no longer have the fellowship that we ought to have with God.

If I regard iniquity in my heart the Lord will not hear me. (Psalm 66:18)
    --That is separation--when the Lord does not hear.
    Separation = death. The two are synonymous as they are defined in the Bible. You simply don't like the definition and can't cope with it.
    There you go on your temper tantrum again making false accusations. Read what I posted.
    I never said a person loses their salvation.
    I never said that the Holy Spirit leaves the believer.
    I said if you sin, until you repent of your sin, you do not have fellowship with God. Sin separates you from God. That is an eternal principle taught throughout all the Bible: OT to the end of NT. Sin separates one from God. Separation is death. Death is defined in the scriptures as separation, thus it is spiritual death. Get right with God and be spiritually alive.

We have many "spiritually dead" Christians" in our churches today. Just look around and see.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

First, I don't have temper tantrums ever. Never had them when I was a kid, don't have them now. I can be sarcastic, and often am.

But we will have to agree to disagree, death means a permanent separation, not temporary. Unless a person believes on Christ, they are permanently separated from God. The use of the word death in the scriptures does have some similarities to physical death. Once your soul and spirit leave your physical body, it is permanent, or at least until the resurrection.

It is not worth fussing over, I understand your view and agree with it.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I cannot believe I'm about to say this....but I'm actually in agreement with Winman

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! :BangHead:

We are spiritually dead until we are alive in Christ. Once we are alive in Christ, we are NEVER spiritually dead.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hey, Dr. Bob agreed with me today, miracles really do happen!

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....be bery bery careful, agreeing with Calvin could be next.....

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus body was a special case.

Were any of us born of a virgin having been overshadowed by the Holy Spirit?

We are not given many details concerning His conception apart from the fact that Mary was a virgin at His conception and that conception was an act of God Himself.

One thing we do know, only males have the Y chromosome which apparently goes back to Adam.

Jesus was not born of a Y chromosome being (God is a Spirit).

So did Jesus have the Y chromosome? ​

If He did, then it was supplied by God and not Adamic DNA/RNA which is worth pondering.​

HankD​

#86 HankD, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's body wasn't special. No more special than Adam's. If Adam had a Y chromosome, then Christ had one.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK then He had a different conception/birth than any one of us.

I didn't exactly say He had no Y chromosome but was presenting the rhetorical case that it was supplied by God.

HankD

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Speculation, but so is the other. We simply do not know the genetic structure of Jesus, not that it would matter anyway.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you Hank. :)

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on this, Adam did not have a Y chromosome.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He also had no sin nature.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True, and he wouldn't have died if sin had never entered the world. Christ's body was under the curse (as ours), hence His pain, suffering and death.

14. quantumfaith

Webdog,

Where are all the scripture references that "death" (physical death) is the result of the fall of man? I am aware of Romans 5, and here (IMO) it could still be meaning "separation" rather than physical death.

Assistance please. Thanks in advance.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said it needs to be pondered.

Luke 2:19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.​

Come to your own conclusion.

My conclusion (apart from the details we are not told) is:

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

HankD​

16. quantumfaith

Hank, I do not know greek, is the greek here emphatic in meaning "physical death"?

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi quantum,

My feeling is that "death" here as in other places is all one package, deliverance from the physical aspect of death to come at the resurrection.

2 Corinthians 1
    9 But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:
    10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

HankD​

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...this is the veil of the curse that is over the entire universe.

19. quantumfaith

I do understand that, the "duble entendre" nature of death. However, in the garden, it seems as though physical death was directly related to being banned from the Tree of Life, perhaps indicating God did not "originally design" us for eternal physical existence. And stating the obvious, the pronouncement of "ye shall surely die" was not immeadiate, but seems to me to be more in line with "spiritual death" separation from fellowship with God.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If man (being made in God's image) was not created to live eternally, how could His creation been deemed "very good"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.