1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin versus Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by El_Guero, Aug 21, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sin versus the timing of one's Salvation is something that I see often today. The question was raised indirectly in a survey on this forum, and I would like to ask what the Theological interpretations of others are?

Is sin before salvation different than sin after salvation?

The proposition has been stated regularly on this board that a divorced man can be a pastor (deacon) if he was divorced before his salvation, but not if he was divorced after his salvation.

What Biblical difference is there in sinning before one's salvation and after?

Yes, I do realize the apparent - we should not sin after salvation, and I pray that you the reader realize the apparent - we do sin after salvation. Yet, what is the Biblical standard about sin before salvation versus after salvation?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I do apologize for the wording of the title - I really couldn't think of a better title.

3. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

After salvation one no longer has a desire to sin.

My little children, these things I write unto you, that ye sin not! And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for our only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1

However:

If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves. and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:6-8

We sin briefly, unwillfully after we are saved but go to Him humbly for forgiveness, actually that He has already given. Though we are disciplined by Him as correction, as teaching, to grow us in grace!

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's still sin but we are not in bondage to sin after salvation, even though we sin. Also, how we live our lives as believers is supposed to be a witness for Christ, so sin matters more, in a sense, after salvation.

I don't think a pastor is a deacon; those are different roles and offices.

As far as a pastor goes, I think that in order to model marriage for his church, a pastor should never have been divorced, either before or after salvation (but especially after). I don't know if the Bible forbids this, but there are things we are free to do that are not necessarily the best thing. A pastor is being looked at by both his congregation and by unbelievers, so his marital status is under scrutiny (as far as divorce or major marital problems go).

5. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Sin before new birth cannot be forgiven, without the new birth.

All sin after the new birth has already been forgiven.