1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Since the stock market is neither Democrat nor Republican...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Feb 20, 2009.

1. targus

targus New Member

Since the stock market is neither Democrat nor Republican what is the continual down spiral saying about the economy and the government's response to it?

Just curious what are you doing with your personal investments in the market?

What are you doing with your 401K ?

I have changed nothing. I believe that my 401K is fairly diverse and balanced and I continue to contribute the maximum that my plan allows.

I figure that I am buying what will prove to be bargains in the five to ten year future.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

That is smart. This is why dollar cost averaging is such smart strategy for personal investing.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Now is not the time for buy and hold. We're heard all our lives because it's true most of the time but not now. After the 1929 crash the stock market did not recover to its pre-crash levels until 1954. That's 25 years. Can you afford to make no return for the next 25 years? I'm not saying that is what will happen but I'm saying that is what can happen.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I guess it depends on what you believe. If you believe we are going to fall into a huge depression, then of course dom/t invest. If however you don't believe that, then why wouldn't you look for opportunities. A lot of money is made after huge drops in the market. Unfortunately for most they are on the sidelines when it occurs.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

It simple says that we are in a world of hurt and there is no 'magic' bullet... nothing more, nothing less...

I personally bought a few stocks today including GM.. I had a little extra money ($150) and though now would be a good time to buy cheap. GM was sold at $1.82 per share. I am hoping it will go up and I will make a little money on it, but if not I haven't lost that much... a risk I know...

Nothing, I am continuing to contribute my 8% for my 403b with a company match of up to 6%.

I agree, but I am only 41, so I can wait another 20 years if needed for it to rebound fully. :)

6. targus

targus New Member

Staying in cash could be just as risky. If we experience the hyper-inflation that I expect with all the deficit spending the the government is doing we'll need a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread.

I prefer to put my faith in the American people - who are the American economy. No matter how bad the government messes up the do'ers in the private market will get it done.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It's not? Isn't buying low today and selling high tomorrow the surest way to make money in the stock market? What strategy are you advocating?

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I cut our mattress and put our money inside. Would have been a good plan if we didn't have a water bed...

My wifes plan has no good place to invest. All the funds in the plan are loosing by the day. Most of them are largely real estate investments. I caled and the guy said her job chose option he wouldn't recommend but it was the only place she could put her money. Sounds like they got a bargain or a kickback...

I sure hate Bush sold us on this 401K idea because to be honest, I have no idea how to invest money so saying I can do better then the government was not factually true. As I ask around, I seem to know more than most people I encounter and I admit I have no clue.

9. targus

targus New Member

If you are referring to social security what is your rate of return for all those years of contributing through your payroll taxes if you die a couple of years after retiring?

At least with my 401k I know that my children will inheirt my unspent savings.

With social security your heir is the government.:tonofbricks:

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

With a couple of hours of reading you can do far better than the government. And for a relatively small fee you can pay someone for advice. The 401K is far better than the government plan.

There are a number of websites and books available that make it pretty simple.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

I got a money guy at Raymond James who has beat the market for the last 20 or so years. I don't tell him his business. Sooner or later he will crash but I hope after I am pushing up daisies.

Doesn't matter, I have Washington State and City of Seattle pension rights. If both the state and city go bankrupt . . . . The old Old-Timers said back during the Big Depression the city salary warrants were no good but the city would cash them for 50 cents on the dollar. I have had a check from another city which had printed on the back something to the effect . . . if this thing bounces it will pay 3% interest until it is good.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am looking at many, many professional investors loosing their shirts in the market. I am not a gambling man and I would prefer not to have to deal with things like stocks. One reason, as you know, I don't appreciate how the executives run companies these days. When I see Meryll Lynch pay their top executives a total of $4 Billion in bonuses then one month later ask for $10 Billion in tarp money, I prefer not to be invested in that scam. Do you know how much in dividends $4 Billion could have paid the investors?