1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Single BIGGEST Biblical Reason Why You Do/Do not believe In TULIP!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then Jehovah's Witnesses are saved.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I hate to be contrary, but regeneration is what we recieve because of salvation. We are made new when we are saved, not before. (though I do believe as someone above who said the events were simultaneous)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we become regenerated because we possess salvation? That is not Biblical Regeneration is new life. Salvation is the benefit of that new life. Salvation is not the cause of new life. If it is, can you show me the Scripture to support that idea?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was actually askin it from your perspective. You claimed to have been a non cal, a cal, a non cal again a couple years back, and returned back to calvinism.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Double post

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't those Spiritual DEAD in their sins have to first be regenerated by God in order to place in a condition then able to become saved by grace of God?

Think that regeneration/faith happen so close together its like same event, than comes the actual saved by faith thru grace....

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been back and forth on the issue, admittedly. I'm not sure I understand what you were asking me initially, though. Could you clarify for me?

8. menageriekeeper

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
    Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Salvation first, belief second, "seal of the Holy Spirit" third. The sealing of the Holy spirit is the regeneration you speak of. Can the Holy Spirit inhabit unregenerated man?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is not what it says. It says they first HEARD. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Second, they believed the gospel. Third, they received the Spirit. This is when a person is regenerated and made spiritually alive. You are not saved, you do not belong to Jesus until you receive the Spirit.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

You do not receive the Spirit until you first hear the Word of God and believe.

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

We do not receive the Spirit until we #1 HEAR, #2 BELIEVE, #3 SEALED BY THE SPIRIT/ RECEIVE THE SPIRIT. Galatians 2:2 proves that faith precedes regeneration, because you cannot receive the Spirit until you first hear and believe. And if you do not have the Spirit, you do not belong to Christ, you are not saved.

#69 Winman, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it was His will. Everyone deserves eternal death. He chose(before the foundation of the world) to have mercy on some and harden the rest.

No Calvinist believes that blasphemy.

I marvel at the twisted minds of those anti-Cals who cannot leave election in the hands of Almighty God without saying that the Lord's selection is random and mercurial.

Well,with the non-Cal spin on 2 Peter 3:9 it's no wonder that some come to Universalistic conclusions.

11. menageriekeeper

Sorry Winman. I wasn't clear. #1. The offer of salvation first.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbs::thumbsup:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, they heard the gospel of salvation - not that they were saved.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's how I see it. A dead man can not respond. He must be quickened first.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lazarus had no problem responding and no mentioning of "quickening" in order to respond either. That is eisegesis.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Thank you for articulating it so clearly.

What you posted is clearly the view of 5 point Calvinists. That God chooses to save some, while choosing to discard others.

And it is that teaching that caused me to cast aside Calvinism forever.

The scriptures are so very clear that everyone who comes into the world, and can understand the gosple, is given revelation that they can understand, and respond positively to...or reject.

God is NOT rejecting people, as Calvinism clearly teaches...PEOPLE are choosing to reject God.

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank you AIC for being so simple, concise, articulate and spot on.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AiC,please go line-by-line in the above post and tell me why you diasagree.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He walked out, didn't he? Was he dead when he walked out? When he was dead, did he hear Christ speak?

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was a bit quirky with my ROSES comment earlier....

but on a more serious note, while some have (rightly) noted John 3:16, my primary biblical reasons for not being Reformed lie in Luke 7:59-62.

Why would Jesus call people who immediately denied Him if Reformed theology is true? Under my reading of The Institutes and other formative documents (I'm thinking Hermann Bavinck also here) when Jesus calls people they must follow Him. Yet here is an example of that not happening. Is this just for show? How does the Reformed position coherently explain this passage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.