1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinless in heaven?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Mar 27, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

he could still be on the earth even if he came from patrolling the earth.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The devil and his angels were cast down from heaven into earth. Read the entire passage. It is obvious that the devil was in heaven.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I guess you disagree with me and Paul. You forget the body has a "carnal" mind and is able to function.

Rom 7:18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

BBob,

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But I don't disagree with Jesus:

Matthew 15:19-20 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Jesus does not refer to the organ that pumps blood.
    The heart is the mind, which I believe also is the soul.
    It is from the mind that these evil thoughts come.
    Where do you think evil thoughts come from Bob?
    Do they come from flesh and bones, or do they come from your mind which is described hear as your heart and in other places as the mind, and yet in other places as the soul.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree, the "carnal" mind, which is not subject to the laws of God and neither indeed can be.

Rom 7:23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Who will deliver us from our bodies of death, and when?

You fail to realize that it is the carnal mind DHK.

BBob,

BBob,

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The mind: the heart, the soul.
    It is the life that God gives us and enables us to operate the rest of our body which is simply made up of chemicals from the periodic table.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You just can not grasp the inner man and the outward man can you DHK; It is the reason you fail to understand several scripture.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

BBob,

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob, what is in an unsaved man?
    How is he different than a saved man?
    What is a man composed of?

According to 1Thes.5:23
    1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

There is a body, entirely apart from the soul and spirit. That body is composed simply of elements from the periodic table and nothing more. It is the soul and spirit that gives one life.
    2Cor.5 speaks of our body as a tabernacle, a tent that will be done away with. It is an outer shell that houses the real person within. It is just a mess of chemicals put together in an orderly fashion by God. The real person is in the soul and in the spirit.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This could probably be illustrated in the fact that Adam was just a body until God breathed life into him.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know he was in Heaven, but not where God is. There are three heavens, you know.

BBob,

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Unsaved man, has a soul in need of a Savior. He must be born again and made alive in Christ Jesus. If not, when he dies, his soul goes to hell.

And Adam sinned and died inwardly and death was pronounced outwardly. He needed a Savior to escape the second death. When we receive our Savior, then we are born again inwardly, Cleansed up, ready for heaven at death. When I die, I am looking for the angels to carry my soul to a rest prepared for me until the resurrection, and then both soul and body will be perfect.

That is why the scripture says, that which is born of God cannot sin, for His seed remaineth in him and he cannot sin. We know the flesh (outward) man can still sin. He also will be made perfect in the resurrection.

If you don't see there is an outward man and an inward man, there are some scripture you will never understand.

Be back in a few days, the wife and I are going to Pigeon Forge, TN for a small vacation. Pray we have a save journey........:wavey:

BBob,

#32 Brother Bob, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Guys, this is really interesting, but I'm still not sure I'm clear with scripture. I'm going to try to restate the question a little differently to see if we can glean a little more clarity. I have to say, I was really surprised at myself to not have a clear, based on scripture, idea of when we humans become "sinless". I appreciate you help in this.

I agree with Brother Bob that these passages are probably the basis for where I/we get the idea of becoming sinless upon reaching heaven. I'm not sure they provide us with an understanding of when or how "sinlessness" is proferred upon us.

I kinda agree with this also. I know we are to be "transformed by the renewing of our minds" and this process is going on now by the power of the Holy Spirit. I also know we are stuck with our fleshly bodies. I'm not so sure we have to wait until the resurrection to obtain a state of "sinlessness" that allows us into heaven/presence of God. I don't think the ressurection will occur in between me dying and stepping into heaven. "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

I'm not sure we can assume that our minds will be renewed by the time we are dead. Lots of folk die suddenly, not long after salvation and it wouldn't seem that they'd have had time for much "renewing of the mind". If our minds can still be tempted to sin and make the decision to sin, when do we loose this ability?

I also agree with the idea that where God is, the very prescence of His being is enough to overcome any sin in us, but I can't prove it from the scriptures and I sure would like to. The passage Amy quoted proves that God has no darkness in Himself, but I'm not sure it proves we won't have any darkness left in us.

This other whole idea that has come up about God not tolorating sin, the ability to sin, or the temptation to sin in His prescence, well, I don't agree with that. Not only do the passages regarding Satan point to the idea that he comes into God's presence on occasion, but one would also have to wonder just where Enoch and Elijah are just now. God translated both of them before death could complete whatever tranformation occurs to complete Christ's work in us(the Holy Spirit's work?).

Edit to say: Have fun in Pigeon Forge, Brother Bob!

#33 menageriekeeper, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Does this help?

1Jo 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

When we enter God's presence, it is after having been born again of God.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah, but this verse is used by some to say that we no longer sin in this life. We don't want to go there.

Now we'd be a long way down the road if we could find scripture to go with this that substantiates the idea that death of this body, gives us "birth" into heaven and upon that "birth" we lose our sin nature.

I'd be fairly happy with scripture that taught that our sin nature is tied to the flesh and with the death of flesh comes the death of that nature. Previously quoted scriptures have come close, but it seems one must "read" this idea into them.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

His soul will live in death. For death is but separation from God, and in this case eternal separation from God (eternal death) Romans 6:23.
    An unsaved man also has a spirit, but it is described as dead according to Eph.2:1. It is inoperable; separated from God. Not until he is born again will it be regenerated and be made spiritually alive.
    At the second resurrection, the resurrection of the unjust, all the unsaved will receive a body and stand before the Lord at the Great White Throne Judgement. Death and Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire. All the unsaved will receive this one final sentence. Where is life. Life is in the soul; in the spirit; not in the body. The body only lives as a result of the soul and spirit, and for no other reason. In the life hereafter God changes it so that it is able to live forever, but the actual life comes from the soul and the spirit--the real person that the body houses.
    I am glad to hear of your testimony.
    The flesh in most of these verses simply refers to our sin nature, not our body. This is where your confusion lies. Your body is a bunch of chemicals. It cannot make you sin. How can your kneecap make you sin Bob?
    Insults will get you nowhere, and do you ever give consideration that it is you that does not understand the above Scripture.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sometimes you take things so personally. It was not an insult, but a fact, for all men, not just you but me also.

1Pe 4:1¶Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

Rom 7:23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

You make no allowance for the "carnal" mind!

If you are led by the Spirit, how could you sin. The Spirit of God will not lead you to sin, but the carnal mind will.

BBob,

#37 Brother Bob, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks, Pigeon Forge was great except for the rain.

BBob, :thumbs:

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What is your point here Bob? You have taken a verse out of context here. Without showing context you don't know the meaning of the verse, do you. The verse says nothing about ceasing from sin or being sinless. But you wouldn't know that any more than you wouldn't know that the Bible says "There is no God," in Psalms 14:1. You can make the Bible say anything that you want it to say.
    1. Just what is that law?
    2. And just what are those members?
    I don't believe that you can rightly define the "carnal mind."
    Bob, you have already admitted on the BB that you are not completely sinless; that is, that you do sin. Consequently you are not always led by the Spirit are you? You still have a carnal mind don't you?

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you now saying the Spirit of God leads us to sin?

Rom 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Rom 8:13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

I can't make the Bible say anything I want it to, I guess you can though.

BBob.

#40 Brother Bob, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008