1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinner's Prayer and the PC Movement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise God I'm glad we can agree on that.
    Knowing this to be true is why I said the whole process is of God. I have known many who I'm sure are saved because they live and breathe the doctrine of Christ who never went forward to pray the sinners prayer that I know of. Again Salvation is of God, and not ritual.
    It does seem many believe that. I remember hearing about people who would not be saved until Billy Graham came to preach so they could go forward to pray that sinners prayer, as if he or praying had anything to do with it.
    The asking doesn't save us Christ does. It may let Christ know that you are hoping He will. We may be so convinced and so convicted that we ask but our faith just doesn't save. If it did Salvation would be of our selves. The verse I quote most often is;
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    A member the other day told me that Christ doesn't have faith stating that the KJV really messed that one up. And then he cited the NASV yet even it says Christ faithfulness. One cannot have faithfulness with out faith. They are the same thing with the exception of being full of faith. Man before Salvation even though he may be convinced still isn't full of faith because he has yet to experience it's results.
    I agree we should strive for perfection though none of us are perfect. I strive to keep what I believe totally biblically based but I'm only human I make mistakes we all do. We all need to stand ready to correct our own imperfections and realize that we see through that dark glass.
    MB

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the seed had no root then the seed didn't take in the ground. The seed sprang up on it's own. Many seeds do this, it isn't uncommon. The cause is temperature and humidity. In many ways a seed is like an egg in that with in it's own self it has what it needs to get started. Even though it needs more to continue.
    Even though she may be choked by the thorns it's because of a lack of faith. The thorns are the cares of this world. Rent and groceries. This bill or, that one. It's a trap any of us can find our selves in.
    You have to see that it isn't enough to just believe we must also submit to Christ. It is Christ that saves. Our faith is tested by God I know you know this if our faith isn't strong enough to trust in God then there is no Salvation. We are a work in progress from the start all the way to the finish. Many believe and you can call that faith but, trusting faith is all that counts. Once we trust, we know Christ has us. Not we have Him.
    If this poor lady came to Christ why doesn't she trust Him? If her faith can be over come by the cares of this world then Salvation never took. I know that sounds hard but it's the truth. If we trust in God I mean really trust in God, God will provide. He has me why not some poor lady. I'm not any better than she is nor more deserving.
    The word "received" only pertains to listening. Don't you see that since the root did not penetrate the ground because it was to hard. That nothing grew in the man. If it had the seed would not have wilted and faded away.
    There simply could not have been any Salvation because the seed's roots couldn't penetrate the ground because of it hardness.
    I disagree because of what the verses actually say;
    Mat 13:5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
    Mat 13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
    If the ground doesn't have root from the seed the word never grows in the heart of the man. I have heard many interpretations of these passages but the seed that fell on stony ground and the seed that fell by the way side, neither were saved. This is the reason.
    Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
    Even the wayside received the word in His heart but he didn't understand it.
    Mat 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
    The word anon here means he received it very quickly. Remember we are talking about the word and not necessarily the Holy Spirit.
    Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
    Notice that the persecution was because of the word not the Spirit. Because the word was all he had he had no strength which in this case would have been roots. The Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ.
    Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful
    All three were lost because none ever received the Spirit none had any strength of faith which comes from Christ and the indwelling. The seed that fell among thorns was choked out of the man long before he had the time to be saved
    No farmer plants with out preparation of the soil. It has to be tilled and broken up to receive the seed.
    MB

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We've had some discussion of Romans 10:9-10, regarding "confessing with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, etc......'

One view is that the confession needs to be made TO the Lord Jesus; the other is that it needs to be made before believers.

To those who hold the first view, why should it be that way? It is not to tell God (or Jesus) something they don't already know. Your confession comes as no sujrprise to God as "Whoa, he just confessed my Son as Lord, Whoop! Hey, angels, is party time!"

Nor does one's confession before believers surprise God, nor is it a revelation to the Creator of the Universe.

So, for whose benefit is the confession made? I submit that it is for believers. I can think of no other rational reason for such confessions to be made with the mouth.

This sounds like nit-picking and in a way it is. God is not hampered. I doubt if God would say to someone "He, don't make your confession to me, I already know about it. Go tell someone else." Nor, "hey, you need to couch your confession of faith in my Son in the form of a prayer--to me, of course.

So if it's nitpicking, you say, why bring it up. Two reasons: one, this is a debate forum; and two.........um......uh.......I forget. This is place to pick at nits.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter how you look at it , it does seem to be a requirement. It says
    " and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. "
    Is it for the benefit of God? Hardly, it's for the benefit of the man who confesses. His confession is made unto Salvation The very next verse says;
    Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

This confession of Christ shows the man isn't ashamed. Shame is a terrible thing it keeps people from witnessing. The first time we confess we believe in Him can be difficult for someone who really isn't serious.
    I don't believe it's for God or other people even but for the man who confesses Christ. At least He seems to be the one most likely to benefit from it. Especially since it's unto his Salvation.
    LOL:laugh: !!!
    Another way to think about God's foreknowledge is to know If we don't follow through with it He never knew it would happen. Which means No confession of Christ, we have no Salvation. There are a lot of things in the Bible I've wondered why about. I just accept them knowing I'll know someday either here or on the other side..... I know!!! that leaves the nit's to them selves.
    MB

5. RalphIII

RalphIII New Member

Hello Tom,
    I hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for the post.

I would like to touch upon a few of your statements.

A) In regards to denominations or Church doctrine, as I was addressing in my previous post, which is the specific belief system or teachings of a given Church.

Again, I have had the honor of visiting various Christian congregations. Each Church varies in their Church teachings, or doctrine; as each may interpret certain Scriptures or topics differently. I gave examples in regards to Baptism and drinking but could add Church membership, Separation of Church/State, Sabbath day, holy communion etc.
    My point was I have found each to offer some good points with their teachings; these based upon the Bible of course, but also flaws in each. Again, based upon the Bible.

I love Churches and Preachers, but I would never say they are infallible because it is after all men’s interpretation of the Word of God. This would include the Baptist Church also, as only God is infallible. Otherwise, start a thread inquiring of fellow Baptists whether they believe the Baptist Church to be completely flawless in their interpretations or practices, of the Bible. You can agree we should always strive to be correct in the Word of God.

B) I humbly attempted to correct a statement you made in regards to Scripture and –yes- I originally gave specific Chapter and Verse(1 Tim 1:15). I again referenced this Scripture in my last, and follow up post, which should have been adequate. My original post, void paraphrasing, suffices in regards to this argument.

I then gave Scripture which should have sufficed or encouraged research to clarify for one’s self. You originally stated, and apparently still adhere, to the notion we are never called to “accept” Christ as Savior or the sacrifice He made.

1 Timothy 1:15
    While your paraphrase is fair your original comment was that the Bible never calls for us to “accept” any of the above. Your statement was that acceptance was solely associated with God accepting us. “The Bible never speaks of…..” when in fact it does. In addition, Paul is reaffirming the truth that Jesus came to save sinners, and that such “deserves full acceptance…”.

It is my fault that I did not give additional Scripture but offer such now.

John 3:31
    John 5:41

John 12:48

John 13:20
    Take care,
    In Christ
    Ralph:wavey:

#105 RalphIII, May 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, I stand corrected.

#106 Tom Butler, May 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  7. RalphIII

RalphIII New Member

God Bless You Tom,
    Have a great week.

Ralph:godisgood:

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In no way do I have a problem with Romans 10:9, which clearly says "confess with mouth that Jesus is Lord." My concern is the corruption of those scriptures. The ground of our salvation the person and work of the Lord Jesus, involving our repentance and faith, not the words we say in expressing them.

The words do not change our hearts. The words are an expression of a changed heart. One does not confess Christ aloud unless that change has already taken place in his mind and heart. An unrepentant and unbelieving man cannot and will not confess Christ as Lord.

And, New believers do not remain silent, nor can they.

Oh, but you say, wait a minute. Romans 10:10 clearly says "with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Yes it does.

Oh, I gotcha now, you say. You're one of those Calvinists who separates regeneration and salvation. My answer is that Calviniism has nothing to do with it. My view springs from the proposition that when we say something, we have already thought it first. Oh, we all know folks who we say engage their mouths before engaging their brains. But the principle is still sound. When we confessed Christ as Lord, aloud, we had already thought it in our minds and believed it in our hearts. It would be inconsistent to insist that we say "Christ is Lord" when we didn't actually believe it first.

I doubt if anybody on the BB believes that the words of the Sinner's Prayer carries any magic power. But when we say "pray this prayer," or "pray something like this," we are unwittingly sending the message that they do. That's why we must say specifically and clearly that they don't.

Then we may be asked to explain why, if they don't, why pray it at all.

#108 Tom Butler, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008