1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinners Prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MB, Apr 9, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are talking to an unregenerated person as if you were talking to a regenerated one. A lost person doesn't know much of the terminology you speak. You can't expect an unregenerated person to know what "persecution", "perseverance", "walk in the dark", etc. mean.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's odd, nobody's ever told me they didn't understand my presentation of the Gospel. They might tell me they disagree with it or thank me and say that it's not their cup of tea, and one person even threw a bottle at me once (fortunately, he couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn), but nobody's ever not understood it.

Just because somebody isn't saved doesn't mean they're stupid.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought a "dead" person can't understand anything...they're dead afterall, right?

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the statement concerned a person who was inquiring about "how to be saved".

If the person is asking, it could be and we should assume they are under conviction of Holy Spirit. That is the best time, therefore, to present the truth of salvation as presented in scripture.

If they aren't under conviction of Holy Spirit, which we can't know, we should still present the truth of of salvation as presented in scripture.

We should never offer a false hope of salvation to the unregenerate by telling them that salvation is about saying a prayer..."repeat after me...now you're saved...don't let anyone tell you otherwise." It is unbiblical.

peace to you:praying:

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

When did you ever get the impression that I thought the free-will teaching of Jacobus Arminius wasn't heresy? And modern Arminianism? Why would I call that anything but a perversion of the Gospel?

Have I compromised somewhere in the past? lol

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Learn what true heresy is...and come back.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BE CAREFUL - it is against the BB rules to call things "heresies" simply because they don't fit into our thinking. Or people that hold such "heretics". Remember many of our Baptist forefathers were martyred, being condemned for heresy.

Use alternative words to keep me from having a snipping party.

Same with "cult". Use "sect" or "group" rather than throw labels that may not be fitting or appropriate.

8. ReformedBaptist

Bob, it is false teaching because it doesn't square with the Scripture. If it is preferrable to be referred to as false teaching, rather than heresy, that is fine.

#28 ReformedBaptist, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  9. ReformedBaptist

I have said nothing differently than what agrees with historic Christianity. If it makes people feel better, I will simply call it false teaching, and those who propound it, false teachers.

#29 ReformedBaptist, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then you will still be making personal attacks. Been nice knowing you here :wavey:

Whatever happened to that grace you used to exhibit here?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since when has your opinion become fact? The fact is, my position claims teaching that squares with Scripture, and this debate has continued for hundreds of years without one side resorting to calling the other side "heresy". I can very well state the same thing about your view, that it doesn't line with the WHOLE of Scripture.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, you have presented only one side of history. Go back into your history of Baptists in England. What is the difference between General Baptists and Particular Baptists?

13. ReformedBaptist

In my thread I was asking for clarification on wording. Can you provide that. There are some it seems who would like to see me banned. hahahaha...says something in and of itself.

So, for clarification: heresy cannot be used to reference teaching that is contrary to Scripture, but "false teaching" can?

Also, to say someone who is teaching falsely, or misleading people by their false teaching, is not against the rules right? We refrain from saying, "You are a false teacher, or you are a heretic."

But to say, "That teaching is false and misleading, and therefore you are acting in a way that is false and misleading people." is not against the rules.