1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sins a Christian cannot commit...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rbell, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an interesting thread and I wondered what you all would have to say about this verse.
    1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Do we sin after being born of God?
    MB

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Great question. Could it be that God sees the righteousness of Christ rather than our sin?

Important disclaimer: We are not given a license to sin (Romans 6:1-2); and if there is habitual, entrenched rebellion, that would call into question one's salvation.

But do Christians sin? Of course.

3. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Now if you go over and look at the foot washing someone over there said something about what you just said but it was with drunkeness. So you believe if you are in the middle of adultery being a christain and have a heart actack and die right then and there you will go to heaven. I will tell you and everyone else that believe this you will go to hell. Christ said if you die IN YOUR SINS where I am ye cannot come. What are you going to say to God at judgement. I was washed and clean in the blood of the lamb. Lu 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; DEPART from me, all ye workers of iniquity. What does iniquity mean?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Your position is more Catholic than Baptist.

So....you must believe in last rites, correct?

Because otherwise, your death becomes an issue of timing. "Did I ask forgiveness for that sin I committed 30 seconds before dying?"

Also, this means...You don not believe in eternal security.

I am still waiting for that list of sins that it is impossible for Christians to commit.

Why can you not give that to us? What's the holdup?

Do you realize what you're saying in all this, Charles....there's one of three possibilities here:

1. You are saying you are sinless; or
    2. You have to get "re-saved" if you commit one of the "big sins;" or
    3. There are sins a Christian cannot commit. However, no one seems to be able to give me a list of them, or a reference.

The best near-miss appears to be 1 Cor. 6 and Rev. 21...but even there, we only wanted to dwell on the "bad sins" such as adultery and homosexuality...we wouldn't tackle the idea that coveting or fearfulness was just as big a sin in God's eyes.

Still waiting....

5. charles_creech78

I am saying you never was saved if you commit a act like that.that under the Law, they indeed had a written list that was read ever Sabbath.
    Under the Grace Covenant, that list does not have to be read, for Jesus said, I will put my laws in their heart and write them in their mind.

Therefore seems to me if someone continues to ask for a list, they do not have it in their heart or their minds and something must be wrong.

6. charles_creech78

So you are saying the rightessness of Christ is sin. Christ has never sin which you say you are born of.

#46 charles_creech78, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  7. charles_creech78

The only way he is going to see the rightessness of Jesus Christ in you is when you do what he has done. Christ did not sin.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So much for David, a man after God's own heart.
    With the adultery committed with Bathsheba, and the murder of Uriah the Hittite, he would surely be in Hell today (according to your standard).

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

So in other words, we all just "know" what that list is, without there having to be one?
    Hmmmmmmm.....methinks I have a problem with that.

First of all, I'm not into the "conditional forgiveness" thing. God doesn't say to us, "I'll save you...but here's a list of sins that you must never commit again." Now...if someone goes to God with a list of conditions (read: Rich young ruler), then of course there's a problem. But that's an issue with a person's commitment, not the "size" of the sin. All sin separates us from God...not just the "big sins."
    Secondly, I believe in eternal security. Your argument strikes at the heart of it.

Here's my translation of your first quote above:

I'm going to answer, "Jesus will tell you" because I don't know...primarily because there's no Scriptural backing for my position.

Furthermore...you keep going back to the adultery issue, because you get an emotional reaction from it. How many times must I say it...If you're gonna apply the Scripture for adultery, then it's also true for coveting or fearfulness! Why do you keep ignoring that?

That sounds an awful lot like you're questioning my salvation. You shouldn't do that.

I'm asking, because I am seeking to expose theological error. And I feel this is an erroneous belief (and I think Scripture bears me out).

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

THE ABOVE QUOTE IS HERETICAL.

"There is none righteous; no, not one." -Romans 3:10

Your quote makes a mockery of Ephesians 2:8-9...

11. charles_creech78

if David had of lived under the Grace Covenant and not repented, that he surely would be in Hell.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Exactly right. It is a slap in the face to the grace of God and the finished work of Christ on the Cross!

13. charles_creech78

Jer 31:33But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

If he does not have those laws in his heart, something is wrong and that is scripture.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Christ is the only one that is sinless, the only one that is just. We (you and the rest of us) are the unjust. Christ died for us.
    What you have presented is a works-based salvation, which is heresy. It is based on entire sanctification--that man can be perfectly sanctified; without any sin in this world. That also is based on a misunderstanding of the Scripture that you have been referring to you.

If you are honest with yourself, and honest before God, you will admit that you cannot even live up to your own standards, much less the standards that God has demanded of us. "Be ye holy, for I am holy."

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is true that David repented. But that is because Nathan the prophet came and pointed out his sin. Suppose for a minute that David had a sudden heart attack before Nathan got there, and David didn't have that chance to repent. What then?

16. charles_creech78

Rom 8:4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

If the laws in his heart are not there and fulfilled, something is wrong.

17. charles_creech78

I don't want to live up to my standards. I want to live up to Gods.

18. charles_creech78

Lu 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye REPENT, ye shall all likewise perish.

19. charles_creech78

Again, if David had of lived under the Grace Covenant and not repented, then he would of died in his sins and hell would be his home.

20. charles_creech78

Cr 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.