1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sitting Pastors ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles H. Spurgeon was in a lot of physical pain especially in the last decade or so of his oral ministry . He used to prop one of his knees on a cushioned stool . He probably alternated knees . C.H.S. could not stand upright for the length of an entire sermon .

Robert Hall Jr. had to put his body into wierd contortions behind the pulpit in order to deliver his messages .

I imagine there are a number of men who are physically disabled , yet still gifted by the Lord to preach . Do any of you know men who sit to preach ?

Don't tell me : "I wouldn't stand for it !"

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Billy Graham has done this when absolutely necessary.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was to speak in a church far from home - sneezed and threw my back out - sat in one of those large ornated podium chairs the entire service. Worked well. One of the men in the church said that he read of a man that was laid on top of his pulpit because he could not stand.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of Jesus' best sermons came reclined at the dinner table, sitting in a boat or on a hillsided :)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband crushed his foot during a fall from the roof 3 years ago and it hurts him to be on his feet too long. Last time he preached (we have 9 pastors and he's not one of the main preachers), he sat on a stool for part of the sermon. He also usually leads worship from a stool (playing keyboards and guitar).

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I leave a chair that is about as high as a bar chair near the high topped table when I deliver I'll sit for a bit every now and then and then stand and walk.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with it. It was traditional to sit down when teaching in the synagogue.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The condition of one's body has nothing to with the preaching of God's Word.

My parent's pastor has MS and walks with a walker and sometimes sits to preach. My own pastor has a severe injury to his back a few years ago and had to sit on a barstool for several weeks.

There are preachers with cerebral palsy (David Ring) and preachers with many other disabilities.

Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. And God will call whom he chooses and equip them accordingly.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We have a local pastor that is in a wheel chair. He was shot in his early 20's and has no use of his legs.

10. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Mine and my husband's very dear friend Evangelist Bobby Bolin was born with cerebral palsy and he preaches while seated behind a table. He's one of the most annointed preachers I have been blessed to hear and get to know.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

about once a month (on average) I'm in too much pain to stand, so I sit.

Spinal injection coming in 5 weeks...then I'll have a good month or two! Yipee!

12. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Off on a slight tangent ... my late father-in-law was not keen on the churchly custom of standing to sing every hymn. He would announce, "We shall now sit and sing hymn ...."

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the last two pastors of the church I attended in the Philippines liked to take the pastors' seat on the right hand side and a little at the back of the pulpit (on the platform) every now and then. Nobody had a problem with that.

One pastor I know liked to walk from the pulpit and around the listeners in the church, and sometimes stand at the back for a good part of his sermon.

You can actually see people trying not to look around back to him.

But then, he was a lawyer, so I guess.....

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Our pastor doesn't exactly sit, but he's not exactly standing -- he's got a stool he's kind of propped on.

I don't care! I want him teaching us!

15. A2J

A2J New Member

I suppose it would take some getting used to, but if I started attending a church where that pastor sat, or the pastor of the church I currently attend had to sit, I could get used to it in time. Would just seem a little weird at first is all.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Tim Lee lost both of his legs in Viet Nam. Naturally, he sits in a wheel chair when he preaches.

He is not a pastor, but a dynamic speaker and evangelist.

As long as someone is preaching the gospel, I don't care if they are standing, sitting, or laying down...

17. AAA

AAA New Member

80 year old pastor

I know of a SBC/independnet BAPTIST preacher who sits while preaching, that is because he is 80 years old...