1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Situation at Penn St.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I'd like to do a poll, there really ain't enough time before Saturday's game. But the coverup of the particular crime has now been made public, and the president and coach Joe Paterno are fired-- "JoePa" dismissed less than a week after winning the game that made him the winningest Div. 1 coach of all time. He attained something of a quasi-divine status many years ago in Happy Valley; which means, to many football fanatics, that he had full authority to do as he wished and to leave when he wished under his own terms. Now, as we know, there were quickly riots when his firing was announced; students overturned a news van and police had to be called from neighboring towns to deal with the mobs, having to use mace to disperse them.

Is this a dangerous situation for game week, senior day at PSU this Saturday against Nebraska?

The continued presence (so far) of Mike McQueary as wide receiver's coach and recruiting coordinator, when he was one who reportedly witnessed one or more of the illegal acts and reported to Paterno is a controversial part of this. Should he resign and/or not be at the stadium for the game Saturday?

Do you expect crowd control to be a problem (or how much of one?) on Saturday? As Nebraska fans are known to be among the best traveling fans, spending huge amounts for tickets to get into the host team's seating, is this dangerous for them? NU and their fans may not be the object of current anger, but with mob anger among sports fans, anyone or anything, especially those not of the same mindset resulting in their actions-- security and the police, the press, and fans wearing the opposing team's colors-- can be targets.

Did Paterno overplay his hand so much that something like this was too likely to come about? He has had injuries and health problems in recent years, coaching from the press box, head resting on his hand, so that many people think he has just been waiting for the big win that would make the winningest. Are these revelations at this time really a coincidence? [I don't ask this as if any of us actually know; but the timing is something that is likely to be remembered.]

Finally, is this an example of the complete overimportance of, and thus overreaction to, big time sports in America? Why are thousands rioting because Paterno got fired for not reporting a crime to the police? He is defended with the excuse that he did report to university authorities. But no one riots for the president who was fired. As I mentioned, he had attained quasi-divine status, so thus, in the minds of many fans he pleased with winning teams, no one has authority over his actions but himself. Is this really a form of idolatry? Up there with O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson-- figures who please fans, who give them a place in their minds such that a 'part of them' goes to prison, dies, or is fired in disgrace when it happens?

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

This should remind all churches, we do not mess with abuse. If you are a Pastor, you should report such in your church if it occurs.

My next question, I wonder how many people will stop watching football because of all the immorality in football... or is this excuse only good enough for not going to church?

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is, if Paterno was fired for being told of the incident and then merely reporting it to his superiors and not the authorities, why is the man who saw the incident and merely reported it to his superior and not the authorities still employed there?

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

This is a senerio that is opon us today and one of Satans greatest snares. Sadly this PSU episode is played out every day in Catholic, Evangelical (including Baptist) and most all main line denominations. The frightful thing is it is most time completly ignored and not reported and the predators move on to another church with out any confrontation or ever reported to the proper authorities. I still believe the SBC needs a data base of these perverts.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts exactaly-
    In addition, Joe only had "hearsay". Sure the cops could investigate on that info, but what they really needed was the actual eye witness

Why should the SBC or any other organzation have a list, when you can acces the National Dep of Justice Sexual Offender List

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have been wondering the same thing. He, as an eye witness, was certainly obliged to report the incident to the police.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good question!

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase "Morally Bankrupt" comes to mind regarding this whole mess. and I was a big Joe Pa & Penn State fan....the operative word is "WAS". Had these guys gone on record for doing the right thing & calling the police (thus exposing the whole sin-filled actions of one very sick staff member), then the University would have been applauded as a bastion of "RIGHT VALUES" vs being now considered oblivious.