1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Six Sixty Six

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Has anyone else given thought or entertained the idea that the computer may play a part in the end time prophecy .....no one able to buy or sell without the number...... ?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The regulation of trade is no more easy with a computer than without one. Just look at how trade and business is regulated now. A man may choose not to hire women because he believes men should be the providers. He may choose not to hire muslims because he doesn't want to support false religion.

But can he do business based on his conscience? Nope. He must offer the proper prostrations to the gods of the market place. The 1964 Civil Rights Act made certain of that.

My point is that commerce can be regulated with or without a computer.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The number directs us to wisdom.

Note that the sum of the number is 18. Is it coincidental that this shows up as the 18th verse? Now read everything that John wrote from every chapter beginning with the 18th verse. In some cases you will need to determine the the context of the chapter that you are in.

Let's look at John 13:18;
    The context is totally abut Judas Iscariot. The original "son of perdition."

Now look into this.

Peter representative of the Church is warming himself with the world as Christ is being tried. I think that this indicate that the Church will be in a worldly state when this incarnation of the spirit of perdition come upon the world.

There is more that i will bring later.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you serious?

When the bible was written, it didn't contain verse numbers, or even chapters.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Correct Amy.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Jesus seeks Peter's reconciliation. He will not leave His Church in apostasy. :godisgood:

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I know that but the evidence is very compelling. And there is nothing written that says Thou shalt not study by verses because they did not come until later.

Look at this.

Note that Judas went out from the Last Supper. The Antichrist will come out of the Church.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Below are three views on the number 666 presented by dispensationalists writers. It is not often that I agree with a dispensationalist on anything to do with eschatology. I believe the views presented by Darby and Gaebelein are exceptional. These views are taken ftom the book Revelation, Four Views by Steve Gregg.

John Nelson Darby, the father of dispensationalism, page 305:

I confess my ignorance as to the number six hundred and sixty-six. I cannot present you with anything satisfactory to myself. We find, answering to the number six hundred and sixty six, the words apostasy and tradition; but I cannot say anything positive on the point.

Arno C. Gaebelein, a prominent dispensational writer early in the 20th century, page 306:

But what does the number 666 mean? If we were to state all the different views on this number and the different applications we would have to fill many pages and then we would not know what is right and wrong. ..... The number 666 signifies man’s day and man’s defiance of God under Satan’s power in its culmination.

A currently popular view among futurist-dispensationalist of the mark of the beast, page 303:

Many see in this passage a prediction of a cashless, worldwide economy in which credit/debit numbers assigned to individuals around the world replace the use of actual currency. Modern innovations in the banking industry may be leading in this direction. Eventually this number will be placed on the body of its possessor, possibly as an implanted computer chip or a laser-tattoo, in order to eliminate the possibility of theft or credit card fraud. Ryrie offers the basis for this literal view: “The word ‘mark’ means an impress made by a stamp, like a brand used on slaves and animals.”

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Then they were void of the wisdom verse 18 of the 13th chapter of Revelation offers us.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so.

The whole world system (cosmos) is currently under the control of the evil one and therefore all its technology:

We are in the world but not of the world. We should not love the world
    We use not abuse what it has because we love our Father and one day it will all go up in smoke.

Goodbye to computers, automobiles, cell phones, blackberries, televisions, ipods, etc, etc...ad infinitum (well not quite).

1 Corinthians 7
    29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
    30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
    31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

2 Peter 3
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.​

KJV 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

The following translations have this:

ASV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in the evil one.

NIV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

NIB 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

NAS 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

NAU 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

RSV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the power of the evil one.

NRS 1 John 5:19 We know that we are God's children, and that the whole world lies under the power of the evil one.

NKJ 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

RWB 1 John 5:19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

DBY 1 John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies in the wicked one.

NAB 1 John 5:19 We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the evil one.

NLT 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the power and control of the evil one.

NJB 1 John 5:19 We are well aware that we are from God, and the whole world is in the power of the Evil One.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Now note the rest of John's writings;

There is no need to fear that number. And here is why.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And aren't they in context to verse 18 of the same chapter?

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's only 18 if you believe in numerology. God doesn't.

And actually, in most numerology, 666 would be a 9, not 18 (1+8=9). But numerology is a despicable occult practice. I used to do it along with astrology.

#13 Marcia, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The number isn't six-six-six or six-sixty-six.

It's six-hundred sixty-six.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Not at all in context with what I tried to show you.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sure it is. Numerology is numerlogy. Why do you say 666 is 18? That is the way numerology would add those up and then add 1 and 8 together to make 9 if they were reducing it further. Just because you are using a number from the Bible doesn't make it biblical. Believe me, I've seen my share of Christians trying to use numerology on the Bible and think it's biblical.

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Harold Camping uses prime factorization to come up with 2011 as the date of the end of the world. Maybe he's right. It's so mysterious, ain't it? Tantalizing indeed! It's a lot more interesting than that old "nobody knows" business. (this was sarcasm)

By the way there's nothing wrong with biblical numerology. Numbers really do have meanings in the scripture. But unfortunately people can't leave well enough alone so they start adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying/factoring/square rooting until they know things that nobody else knows.

Even some reputable men have fallen for theories like "mystery codes" in the Bible (every third letter in 1 John 3 spells "kennedy" or some such nonsense)(I made that example up).

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Give me an example of biblical numerology that is biblical.

I know the Lord repeats certain numbers but He does not tell us what they mean - any meaning we get is a guess. So this is not really numerology.

Numerology is a system of using numbers to discern hidden meanings in words and/or numbers.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Right. Numerology imposes a pagan system on a holy book.

Bad idea.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

For example, it becomes quite obvious, after reading several texts scattered throughout both testaments, that "forty" seems to have some kind of significant meaning. They wondered 40 years, it rained forty days and forty nights, Jesus fasted 40 days, etc. A common theme emerges - a period of extended trial before a judgmental or decisive event. There are others.