1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skipping church - Is it a sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 22, 2011.

?
  1. Whenever you miss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. execpt for being providentially hindered

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. If you work - at your own choice

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. If you work - and you have no say

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. If you are really sick

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. If you are just a little sick (using it as an excuse not to attend)

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. When on vacation

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Other answer

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. When you stop attending church for good

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  10. It is NOT a sin if you do not attend church

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

edit............

#21 Alive in Christ, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Tom Butler...

ituttut posted...

You responded...

Anywhere 2 or more are gathered together

Anywhere. I find that standing on a beach taking in the oceon and roaring waves to be incredibly worshipfull.

Anytime you are with brothers and sisters in Christ.

Any time you we generously give of our resources for something God aproves of.

And you know what is really neat?

We can also get to do all of these things at out local church! :wavey:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

1(800)Bad-Advise :D :wavey: :love2:

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Why, just give them to me. I will make sure they are taken care of.

*wink* *winK *wink*

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have to miss it on occasion (on a cruise that covers a Sunday) but even so I have a "service" for believers.

Even if just the bride and myself, if we find ourselves forced to not be in church, we make "church". After all, where two or three are gathered . .

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But do you have authority from a church to hold services???
    (see post # 48 )

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Alive in Christ posted:

Who are the pastor and deacons of your church on the beach? Who's preaching this Sunday. Do you have a worship leader? Or do you have elders? Who gets your tithes and offerings?

#27 Tom Butler, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Where does Scripture clearly state that we are to hold "services" by the authority of a church? And by church, I assume you mean a brick & mortar religious institution. Which member of a local church has the authority to give & deny permission to assemble? The one who gives permission has the authority to deny it. Hmmmm, only Christ has that authority & He said "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." So many baptists have become Catholic-lite in their beliefs that authority comes from the church instead of from the Covenant.

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen brother Butler to all points, but going to church is not the beginning, or ending of our salvation.

Assembly worship and fellowship yes, but we know God always has a remnant not recognized by others. I know quite a few, and I am one of them, that are not into giving all my offerings into my church coffers for various reasons. So much of many churches offerings are spent on brick, and wood structures that could be put to better use, but that's just my way of looking at it.

We know the Body of Christ has many parts in it, so If God is in our hearts, so I believe we give what we find in our hearts. We give, not by commandment, but out of love, hopefully to our own, but also more than a piddlingling to go beyond our church to the poor, the suffering, and of course the great number of lost in this evil world.

I believe the environment, and experiences we take notice of sets us on a path that each of us will determine. Beyond first fearing God, not even knowing what a sin might be, the most impressionable thing I remember at a young age was at a Wednesday night prayer meeting. Afterwards all members were asked to stay for a great celebration. I was about 15 or so years of age at that time. The Calibration? To witness the burning of the debt note that had been paid off that month. Now said the preacher, Budget committee, deacons and all. We are free of debt, and now devote all our efforts to winning the lost, going about the business of God.

It was not much longer than a year that the church found out what the business of God was. After that prayer meeting, all members there (then others later) were asked to approve a loan for a good amount of money to build a new building, for NOW WE HAD ENOUGH SAVED UP FOR THE DOWN PAYMENT??? It always does not happen, but somewhere around twenty years after I left that church was no more a Baptist church, becoming buildings for another faith.

I know you and I are, in a way, of the same ilk in some of our beliefs, but not all. In our individual entrance into the Body of Christ, we came the same way, but not being bound and gagged by the law, rituals, and ordinances of Israel, we are free to do what God has appointed each of us to do. Temple worship of the covenant people is no more, for if it were I would be reading a lot more of James, and what applied only to God's people, and their proselytes.

I'm all for those who preach the gospel of believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for your salvation. Jesus said His Father gave to him a Kingdom. There are Kingdoms to come, and I believe you and I know which Kingdom we are in.

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Is our conversation to be in heave every day? I attend an earthly church and have conversation with others. This is good, but I really do enjoy my daily conversations with Him.

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

But where is the clerk to write these things down for the church's minutes?
    Where is the fried chicken at after the service is over?
    Who prays the prayer of dismission at the end of the service?
    Where is the preacher who we give our money to?
    Who gives the altar call at the conclusion?
    Who sings the song "Just as I am" during this call?

BTW, I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with you. I ask these questions in levity only, and not malice.

12. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Where is the building that God uses to meet with us?
    How do you hear from God without the priestly human mediator?
    How will the Holy Spirit convict you without hellfire & brimstone preaching?
    How will you know the difference between right & wrong or what to believe if you only have God's Word & the Holy Spirit?
    What about all of the blessings & honor the preacher claims you will not receive if you are not in your place under his authority every time the church doors are open?

#32 michael-acts17:11, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011