1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Skirts/ Dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sminasian, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

I just don't feel feminine in them. And I want to maintain as much of my femininity as I possible can. Its a personal choice.

Let me say this regarding the music. If the music is " contemporary" to the point where the praise band is rocking and rolling, and with all the multi media, the " casual" approach to the worship, it is NATURAL for people to take a more casual approach to dress and behavior. That is what I have observed. If it is different where you go to church, then PTL for you. Its very easy to dress like you are going to a rock concert when you are going to a rock concert.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, sister. I suppose that I see a personal choice based on preference and a conviction by God to stop doing something as two different motivations.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not enjoying that image! :eek:

Keep your drawers on buddy!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps if I wish to be frumpish I will switch to the jumper wardrobe.:tonofbricks:

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Sister, I think I "see" it much the same way. I personally prefer not to wear blue jeans to worship service. Personal preference is either a suit or "business casual". For me to do so is to elevate worship of our Lord above, jean wearing, work or pleasure activities. That said, I'd rather see a man wearing clean, faded, overalls humble in his faith than one proudly strutting in his fine 3 piece suit on Sunday morning.

That said -- personal opinion -- glory to God is given when a construction worker hurries to Bible study even though he's still wearing his grubby work clothes. Same thing applies whether it's hospital scrubs, or any other work related "uniform" - male or female.

"I would have come to Bible study, but I didn't have time to change clothes after I got off work." Conviction to study His word or personal preference for what hangs on his/her body?

Jesus hung his body on the cross.

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Not always, dear Scarlett. We sometimes have to make our personal choice BASED upon our conviction from God. I truly understand where this sister is coming from. A few years ago the Lord convicted my heart of my clothing choices and was convicted to wear only dresses. So much so that I went to physical therapy in a dress (until the therapist told me I needed to wear something else.....so I had one pair of crop pants for that only and felt badly wearing them). I wore nothing but dresses....modest, ultra modest at times, dresses for about two years. Finally the Lord released me from that conviction. He did it to teach me that the clothing I was wearing was not modest at all and that a Christian woman needed to be conservative in her attire, not attracting attention to her body. I can wear slacks again, without conviction, but I keep my attire very modest.

I applaud this sister for taking a stand to be modest in her attire and for following the Lord's conviction. It's not easy in a day and age where modest clothing is difficult to find and where those who choose to be conservative and modest in their dress are ridiculed and made to feel badly for their choices.

7. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Try Blair, National Clothing...both mail order companies with very modest clothing at modest prices. There's also http://katiesmercantile.com/index.html they make to order and do very nice work. There's also http://www.ringgerclothing.com./ and http://www.achristianhome.org/ModestFeminine/A_Christian_Home_Modest_Clothing.htm has a whole page of websites that offer modest attire.

8. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

Yes Diamond lady Blair was first on my list. When the Lord convicts me of something, there is NOTHING anyone can say to try to ridicule me.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The way I look at this issue is that for the Christian woman especially, she has common sense and a Holy Spirit guiding her, and whatever she chooses to wear is her business, and no one else's. That especially goes for the local church gossip with the ten inch nose.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I once read that a female's clothes should be tight enough to show that she's a woman, and loose enough to show that she's a lady.

No need to try to pick this apart. I just threw this in as a lighthearted break in the discussion.

Now back to the serious stuff.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My wife Janice just added:
    A woman's dress or skirt should be short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Now that's a great witness. Laughing at people who are different than you want them to be.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can tell you that not one skirt will ever be as comfortable as my yoga pants and I will never give them up. You can take my husband and my kids, take all my money and all I own. Just don't take my yoga pants! (as I sit here in said yoga pants and an oversized sweatshirt - LOL)

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the same way about my Adidas sweat pants, Puma sneakers & myriad tee shirts, sweatshirts & sweaters. :thumbs:

Oh & as far as drawers are concerned... I like the Old Navy Boxers.... especially under the kilt! :laugh:

#34 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I learned to never say never, because when GOD convicts you of it there's no getting around it unless you want to live in deliberate sin. For a period of time it was sin for me to wear pants, period. It was a time of testing, of training, and of change.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What church would have abused Christ's church to ever impose an unbiblical ordinence that it was a "Sin to wear pants" ? Why, are pants to be considered immodest & the devils tools to take a woman to hell? Wow, what an insult to women in particular to manipulate them into believing such a thing....when a pants suit covers more of the flesh. Unfortunately Ive seen it, dont wear pants, men must wear suits & ties, no sandals or shoes with open toes, no jewelry, no makeup or painting nails, hair must be cut in a certain fashion, must conduct yourself this way or that, no association with anyone outside your church politic, no pierced ears, Etc. Thank goodness this nonsense is going away & a woman like Ann can operate at a much higher level (and a more comfortable one ) for the Lord. I'm all for it.

17. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I think you misunderstand completely. My church does not advocate that women wear only dresses or any of these other things you've listed. GOD impressed upon MY heart that for ME during THAT TIME PERIOD it was sinful for me to be wearing anything other than a modest dress. It was a learning time for me. I'd been wearing VERY immodest clothing, and it was a time that I needed. I don't believe GOD manipulated me, it was a deep impression on my heart. GOD uses many methods of teaching and training...for me it was giving up tight jeans, shorts, low cut tops and replacing them for a time with very modest dresses and skirts.

If you can't understand this I'm sorry for you. P.S. I have pierced ears, wear lots of jewelry, wear make-up, etc.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you in turn, misunderstood my post so there you go......and Ive got a kilt & I wear a watch and two rings. Thats all Im disclosing! :laugh:

19. Gabi

Gabi New Member

I am a Baptist Youth and after my Baptism a few weeks ago I felt a strong conviction to wear skirts and dresses as well. I do however wear pants in moderation like when hiking or working out. I find in some circumstances pants are more modest. I love modest clothing and I understand how frustrating it can be to find it affordably priced. I know Cato's, Walmart, JC Penny, Belk, Target, sometimes K-Mart all sell very nice skirts for affordable prices. Try ordering online you'll get better deals that way. I hope this helps!!! :)

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

Isn't it nice that BB has become the flash point for Christian fashion and style the last few weeks? :laugh:

Really, folks, we can't find something of more substance to discuss than skirts, dresses and strapless gowns? :rolleyes: