1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Skirts/ Dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sminasian, Mar 30, 2013.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gabi - If you feel a conviction towards skirts and dresses, that's wonderful. Just be sure it is from the Spirit and not from the world - even the Christian world. I've seen so many who measure their holiness by the "modest dresses" and yet their behavior and thought life is far from modest. I'd rather see a young woman in jeans and a blouse who has a heart for the Lord and acts accordingly than have her in a long dress yet has an angry heart. :)

2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well don't want to pull the thread off topic or argue since this seems to be a more casual topic. And I'm not going to deny your experience. But would point out there's any number of factors involved and blaming the music is rather an assumption. I'd say--but this is based on my experience as well, and I'm not going to claim it to be universal--that traditional churches that encourage more traditional clothing (even if only as a sign of respect in the house of God) are also more likely to look down on modern styles of music.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you DL. ALWAYS a Lady.:thumbsup:

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ann, I think yoga pants are fine if you're at home or you're wearing a shirt or top that's long enough to cover your derriere.

But I see parents dropping their daughters off at Wednesday night church in those things and the little short shorts.

The yoga pants seem to be really popular at high schools too. And it's not just the unchurched girls wearing them to school. My Godson told me that he doesn't think the girls know (I think they do) that when the sun or light hits these certain type of yoga pants fabric, that you can see right through them.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I'm going to be really honest here. You know JLo and the stereotype of her bottom? Let's just say I'm the polar opposite of that. Plus the fact that my yoga pants are looser fitting anyway and I don't have the issue of the leggings-look yoga pants. Mine are more like sweatpants but better because of the comfy waistband. :) I've actually worn them to church at times as well because I was in a cast for my foot and it was easiest to get them over that and with a nice sweater, no one knew. :) They are a good quality and thick so no worries about being able to see through them.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

And ... ? They're little girls. So what? :rolleyes: :sleep:

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

These "little girls" just happen to be high school aged. And I don't care if they were in pre-school, it's inappropriate.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that you tend to hang out in all of them and post several times right?

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good while back I started a thread called "P.O.W."(P ants O n W omen) And in it I told this story: We have a pentecostal in-law whom we love dearly despitre her aberrant religion. When she stopped at our home, she chided my wife for wearing pants. (rose-colored jeans, embroidered with flowers, she made herself) My in-law cited Deut. 22:5, as many pentecostals, etc. do. My wife replied, "These aren't mens' pants. They were made by me to fit MY figure, not a man's. And also, wouldn't any man look silly wearing pants THIS color, embroidered with flowers, even if he were a hippie?" of course my in-law was unmoved, but so was my wife!

MY view? Same as my wife's. In the time/place Deut. 22:5 was written, NO ONE wore pants. The Israelis of that time dressed much-more "unisex' than most Jews or Americans of today. I simply do NOT pay any attention to MAN-MADE rules of worship.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I cannot afford to buy many clothes new...I do buy undergarments new, but all else is usually purchased at thrift stores. It is the land of opportunity, and you get what is there.....

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, mainly because you can guarantee that she's saying the same thing about you.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My parents owned a dairy farm with cows and manure around. I cannot imagine for one second my sister working on top of a hay stack or shoveling manure with a dress on.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Working on top of a hay stack with a skirt would be quite "prickly"! When I have to haul hay in shorts, I end up with the worst rashes and cuts. Pants are totally the way to go. I could shovel manure in my pajamas, however. (Not that I have first hand experience or anything......)

14. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

I was raised skirts and culottes only, but now I wear pants also. I don't like tight pants, and I really don't like calling attention to my behind lol...so I usually wear longer tops. But I don't wear pants to church.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but who is RIGHT ?

MAN invented pants, and MAN invented prohibitions against women wearing them.