1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slandering God

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You must be a "dooms-day" preacher of sorts!:laugh: (like which sort of translation this week?/ sort

Because we don't usually print things in the Gutenburg text type.

We don't want anyone confused about the context of Scripture. Enough said?

"Revison" is another detouring word from the truth. "Editing" would be an honest claim.

Besides, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" or like an old black mechanic I used to sell alternators and starters to, "If it ain't broke, I CAN'T fix it!!!"

2. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi franklinmonroe

I will respond to your questions, in order.

You asked......
    Although I am rather handsome, I am not “all knowing”;
    But I will try to anser this question.

To begin with, one of the reasons, that I trust that the LORD has preserved His Word for me, is because He said that he would.......
    But here is some more of my favorite passages, in this area.......
    --------------------------------------------------

I hope that this answered your question, for now.

Next you responded to something that I said.

I said.......
    I also said.......
    Then you said......
    The differences that I was talking about, are the differences that you find in the NIV, & the KJV, (for instance:)
    Many of the English translations that are available today, are missing “words”, “verses” and “entire passages”, when compared to the KJV.

I dare to say, that the Wycliffe and Tyndale Bible’s, are not different from the KJV, in this way.
    (Therefore I said, “To my understanding, the KJV, was made up of all these Bibles”.)

What I was saying, is that the KJV, was a new translation, that took all the Bible’s before it, in consideration.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

And most of the translations after 1611 took other avenues differing from the "old texts and former translations" and diligently tried their best to ALTER the wording into something unfamiliar and even indifferent to the ear.

I like your example from your experience in the hospital, that has to be the most undeniable truth to having the KJB as our standard!

4. stilllearning

Hi C4K

You first said........
    You are right.
    The copyright for the KJV, is said to be held by “the crown”.
    But you also said......
    This is also true.

But, think about it.
    All those Bible’s which do have a copyright: (Who is protected by that copyright?)
    It is the people who published it.

This is what makes all truly “copyrighted Bibles” so untrustworthy;
    (Because the people who own the copyright to them, are in the business of making money, and therefore want to make there Bibles as attractive as possible.)
    A perfect example of this, was the first edition of the NIV(I think):
    When it first came out, in Isaiah 7:14, where the Bible says “Behold, a virgin shall conceive”, it said something like, “a young maiden shall conceive”.

Well God’s people heard about this, they had a fit, and were talking about how terrible it was.

Well the following editions, put the word “virgin”, back in this verse.
    This aspect of making money off of selling Bibles, is the source of all kinds of trouble.

The next thing that happened, were Bible publishers started treating Church leaders, like the pharmaceutical companies treat doctors.
    (Just to get there foot in the door!)

5. stilllearning

Hello again franklinmonroe

You put your finger on the problem.

You said........
    What you and I are talking about is “information”, about ancient Greek manuscripts.

I don’t know how many you have at your house, but I don’t have any at my house.
    The point that I am making, is that(given enough time), I can collect a lot of “experts”, that will verify that what I am saying is right.
    And you, might be able to come up with a lot of “experts”, that will verify what you are saying.

It is kind of like the Iraq war.
    Some people(a lot of people), are saying that we invaded this peaceful country and have done nothing but killed and raped it people, just to get it’s oil.
    While other people(a lot of them), will say the exact opposit.

The only way that you or I could know the truth for sure, would be to visit Iraq.
    I have said all of this, because Satan is a liar, and he hates God and His Bible.

And the internet, is filled with people, that can say anything that they want to say, and call it the truth..

This is a decision, that you have to come to on your own.
    I believe, the things that I have written, to be the truth.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

stilllearning, let's look at Matthew 24:34-35 (KJV) --
    Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
    Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.​
    God-the-Son said these words during His life on Earth, and Jesus spoke many words during His lifetime here (Jesus is God, so Jesus' words then are also God's words). Do we have all the words Jesus spoke during His 33 years here on Earth? No. Do we have all of God's words written down? No. Now consider John 21:25 (KJV) --
    And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one,
    I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. ​
    This would also probably be true if all of Jesus' words had been written down. We only know one thing He said before His ministry years (Luke 2:49); so we know He wasn't mute. Then did any of Jesus' literal spoken words "pass away". Yes, for us it seems so.

Does this mean that Jesus told a lie in Matthew? NO! It means that He meant something else when He said "my words shall not pass away". What did He mean? Look at the verse in context and you will see that He meant that His prophecy would be fulfilled. This verse is not about literal spoken words (or written words).

BTW, that is a great list of verses (but none individually nor collectively satisfy the question I had asked).

#86 franklinmonroe, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - I have had to pay money for several of mu KJV Bibles. You don't think KJV publishers make money?

8. stilllearning

Hi Tom Butler

With EdSutton’s permission, I will respond to what you have said.

You said.......
    I have dealt with this peace of “mis-information” before.
    First of all the word "immerse" means......
    1.To cover completely in a liquid; submerge. See Synonyms at DIP.
    2.To baptize by submerging in water.
    3.To engage wholly or deeply; absorb: scholars who immerse themselves in their subjects.
    [From Middle English immersed, embedded deeply, from Latin immersus, past participle of immergere, to immerse : in-, in. See IN-2 + mergere, to dip.

It has never meant to “sprinkle”.
    The Greek word, that was translated “Baptize”.......
    ++++
    This fairytale, that the translators of the KJV, had somehow been pressured by the powers that be, to wrongly translate certain words, is a lie.

But I am glad that you brought it up, so that I could set the record straight.

9. franklinmonroe

Hi stilllearning,

Gathering "experts" to support a position already held accomplishes nothing. This not about a war of experts. You would not find any genuine experts to confirm the factual errors you have presented. I'm not talking about the subjective opinions, I'm talking about hard basic facts.

I don't get all my information from the Internet; I've read several books on this subject by different credible authors, taken classes, listened to sermons, many discussions, etc. But just check some encylopedias for starters. You may still hold with your current belief in the end (others have), but you need to have based it upon solid facts.

10. stilllearning

Hi C4K

You asked.......
    Not very much. In fact, the KJV, is one Bible, that you can get free, from a lot of places.
    Earlier you said........
    Any publisher of the KJV, that changes “one” word, will be put on my list, and I will never buy anything from them again.
    (And they know that I am not alone!)

Of course, people who publish the KJV, do sell their Bibles, but they don’t sell very many of them now days.

11. franklinmonroe

stilllearning, you left a critical word off the beginning of Tom Butler's quote ("had" is missing). It should be "had the KJ translators..."

12. franklinmonroe

Go back and look at EdSutton's post #40 on page 4.
    Try reading and closely compare some passages between them.

#92 franklinmonroe, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow....I have more than one KJV Bible. None of them are ugly or free.

What gives?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Didn't you know??

Nelson, Zondervan, Kirkbride, Cambridge, ect.........all print KJV's and give them away! They don't make one cent on them. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

15. stilllearning

Hi rbell

You asked.......
    The “attractive” part, was talking about Bibles like the NIV, that have to be attractive, by keeping people happy. (Being as politically correct as they can.)

But the free part is true.
    (Here are some links, that I found in 10 seconds:)

http://christianity.about.com/od/practicaltools/ht/freebible/

http://www.e-sword.net/

http://bibledatabase.com/index.php

There are lots more!
    Note: I overlooked the Mormon sites.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Did you know the Gideons give away FREE NKJV's? :eek:

17. stilllearning

Hi Amy.G

You asked.......

Yes I did.

I collect their New Testaments, when ever I can find them(at yard sales, etc), because I always carry one, in my back pocket.

And after 2 or 3 years, they need to be replaced.

I have several, that are something other than KJV.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not even going to pretend I'm following your logic. The best I can tell...all versions but KJV are inferior because they cost money and look better. (in a politically correct sense).

Did I get it right?

Gee...does that mean my nice, leather, expensive KJV is somehow inferior to my beat-up, harcover, cheap (and unattractive green) NIV? I'm confused...

19. stilllearning

Hi rbell

I apologize, for not making my self more clear.

When I talk about people, making the Bible more attractive, what I mean is changing it’s wording, so as not to make it sound so demanding.

-This makes it more attractive!-
    As for the “all versions but KJV” part, this is what I was talking about.

There is no money to be made, is selling KJV Bibles, because for all intents and purposes, it is public domain.

But every other English Bible that is being published today, has an active copyright;
    (Which means, that if someone wants to use it, they have to pay royalties to the person who holds the copyright.)
    Now all that I am saying, is that this is dangerous.

Because if a person has a vested interest in selling his Bible, then this give him a motive to change the wording of his Bible(as society changes), so as to get more people to buy it.

This is one thing I like about the KJV.
    (Now that it’s spelling errors have been fixed, it words will not change.)

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Scripture Cited Is From The NLTse

For your consideration :

Job 20:28 : ...God's anger will descend on them in torrents

Job 21:20 : ...Let them drink deeply of the anger of the Almighty

Luke 3:7 : ...Who warned you to flee God's coming wrath?

Ro. 2:5 ...For a day of anger is coming,when God's righteous judgment will be revealed.

Rev. 14:19 : So the angel swung his sickle over the earth and loaded the grapes into the great winepress of God's wrath.

Rev. 15:7 : ...a gold bowl filled with the wrath of God,who lives forever and ever.

Rev.16:19 : ...and he made her drink the cup that was filled with the wine of his fierce wrath.

Rev. 19:15 : ...He will release the fierce wrath of God,the Almighty,like juice flowing from a winepress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.