1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slave Labor: Made in the U.S.A.

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by poncho, Feb 2, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Government Last Updated: Jan 30th, 2006 - 09:39:29

Slave Labor: Made in the U.S.A. (Excerpt)
    by William Norman Grigg
    February 6, 2006

Under the influence of disgraced super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff, former House Majority Whip Tom DeLay became an apologist for slave labor camps — on American soil.

Deep in a humid tropical island jungle, in poorly ventilated buildings ringed with barbed wire and patrolled by armed guards, impoverished Asian women — most of them Chinese — toil for 80 hours a week making brand-name apparel for export to the United States.

The female garment workers were lured to the labor camps, which are run by members of the Chinese Communist Party, with promises of wages extravagant by their standards, up to 60 percent of what their counterparts in the U.S. earn. But before they were hired, the women had to sign “shadow contracts” that effectively made them slaves to the company. Their activities are strictly regimented, and since they depend on the company store for most of their necessities, what they earn is recycled back into company hands. Furthermore, most of the workers had to borrow huge sums of money, at extortionate rates of interest, to pay, up front, the human traffickers responsible for transporting them to the island.

As is the case wherever the Chinese Communist Party claims jurisdiction, the female garment workers are subject to the regime’s repulsive one-child policy. They are forbidden to marry or have boyfriends. Those who become pregnant are forced to have their children aborted.

Despite being produced from Chinese fabric by Chinese laborers who labor under Chinese law, the designer clothing that emerges from those island factories is labeled “Made in the USA.” This is actually a case of truth in labeling, since these Chinese labor camps were established on Saipan, a territorial possession of the United States. Thanks to the efforts of super-lobbyist and confessed felon Jack Abramoff, this squalid arrangement has enjoyed political protection from, and been effusively praised by, many “conservative” Republican politicians, including disgraced former House GOP leader Tom DeLay.

SOURCE

2. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

Corruption is not a Democrat or Republican issue: It is a bipartisan problem. We should condemn and eradicate wherever it is found. Reforming our budget process would be a good start; so would removing the lock on districts that congressman from both sides of the aisle use to remain in office, term after term.

My own Republican congressman, who I see often in the church I belong to, "brings home the bacon." I don't want anymore bacon: I want reduced public spending.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I agree.

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

The "Made in the USA" label hasn't meant anything for years, in the garment industry.