1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slavery, Submission, and God's Sovreignty

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Tanker

Tanker New Member

>>>>>>And that God was wrong about his view on slavery?<<<<

There is no clear verdict about what God thought about slavery, at least none that does not admit of a dispute about it. I have posted on another thread about how slavery contradicts the Golden Rule. If you will show me how slavery is compatible with the Golden Rule, then and only then will I admit that God approved of Slavery. Can you state categorically that God approved of slavery?

2. Tanker

Tanker New Member

>>>>And you believe that God is not the supreme authority in all situations?<<<<<<

There is no contending against the will of God. But there is substantial difficulty in determining what that is in particular situations. You may say that God authorizes slavery in the Bible. I may say that the Golden Rule clearly consigns slavery to the dustbin of history. We may not agree but both of us may fight a war for our version of the will of God.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

God doesn't care about human concepts of class, status and caste including slavery.
    some of his humble servants (that would include me :D ) however do....

So Mark unless you want to be pelted with rotten tomatoes, I suggest you refrain from campaigning for the reïnstatement of slavery [​IMG]

4. Kent Witcher

Kent Witcher New Member

Mioque said:

"God doesn't care about human concepts of class, status and caste including slavery.
    some of his humble servants (that would include me ) however do....

So Mark unless you want to be pelted with rotten tomatoes, I suggest you refrain from campaigning for the reïnstatement of slavery"

I'm not sure where you're going with the rotten tomatoes thing but...

Mark is not and has not and will not campaign for the reinstatement of slavery. The issue is about whether the Bible is the standard for all things in this case what the Bible says about slaves submitting to their masters happens to be one thing the Bible says that many have tried ever which way to say it doesn't or some have even said that even if it does say it they wouldn't do it.

Focus people, Focus.... :rolleyes:

5. Karen

Karen Active Member

I Tim. 1:9-10 is one place where Paul condemns it.
    Still interested in your interpretation of "enslavers", the sin listed right after homosexuality. ;)

I am also interested in your rationale as to why a slave should be content in brutal conditions, if need be, but that you would take up arms in defense of your freedom.

By the way, Tanker, I appreciate your great contributions. I think, though, that I come at it from a different perspective than you. I think that the Bible does condemn slavery but not in easy prooftext form (except for I Tim.) In the same manner as abortion and infanticide. There are no prooftexts to not commit infanticide. Yet the Bible is against it.

Karen

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

This is the issue of the matter. No one doubts what Paul said in the letter to Philemon but the disagreement is in the meaning and application of the letter to Philemon. I don't believe the letter condones nor condemns slavery nor does it give biblical approval for someone to own slaves. Paul doesn't address the philosphical issues of whether a person has the right to own another. Paul is addressing an issue of a person who already is a slave.

7. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Mioque,

I am not campaigning for the reinstatement of slavery. I'm campaigning for men to acknowledge and heartily consent to what the Scripture says about slavery.

Mark Osgatharp

8. Tanker

Tanker New Member

>>>>>>Mioque,

I am not campaigning for the reinstatement of slavery. I'm campaigning for men to acknowledge and heartily consent to what the Scripture says about slavery.

Mark Osgatharp<<<<<<<<<<

During the Civil War both sides found support in the bible for their respective attitudes about slavery, so I doubt that you will be able to convince anyone that your interpretation is correct. It is rather surprising to find that anyone presently living subscribes to such an interpretation that favors slavery as it seems to be sort of a fossil from another era.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you understand the historical significance of the very common term "black republican" that has NOTHING to do with racism. Any student with a class or two on Civil War understands that.

And the phrase "yankeescum" was ONE WORD in the CSA. As an active Civil War reenactor and 30+ credits in graduate work on Civil War history, I try to use the terms and embrace the attitudes of that era.

It's called living history. We do it all the time in schools, and large or small events.

(BTW, I am chaplain of the 3rd US Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company I, and wear blue. I can argue THAT side of all these issues just as you have.

Spent many a great evening around a campfire with many just like you. We draw straws on who will take which side! Feel like old times with you on these debates.)

And Mark, hold their feet to the fire with your clear presentations of Scripture. Holding a slave is NEVER condemned in the Bible; "manstealing" is. VAST difference.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Mark
    "I am not campaigning for the reinstatement of slavery. I'm campaigning for men to acknowledge and heartily consent to what the Scripture says about slavery."
    Mark I acknowledge and consent to what the Scripture says about slavery. [​IMG]
    Just not not heartily. :(
    Having said that, personally I despise slavers :mad: !
    The good news for folks like me is that opposing slavery is a perfectly normal thing to do for a Christian. Because slavery leads to things God despises all the time.

KENT
    "I'm not sure where you're going with the rotten tomatoes thing"
    In my young and stupid period during the 1980's I participated in most of the bigger squatters riots of the era
    ( :rolleyes: what can I say, except that I was an idiot with the wrong friends). One thing I did learn in those days is that I am king David's worthy heir when it comes to using the sling (in my case it was actually a catapult, I'm waxing poetic here). I can hit any target I want in a 40 meter radius round me in the middle of a frenzied skirmish.
    I am (and was even in those days) basically a pacifist, so I use fruit instead of stones or lead balls.
    That's where those tomatoes come in :D .

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just one question for those who advocate or condone slavery on Biblical grounds: the prooftexts cited refer also to submission to governments. Aside from the obvious points already made by other posters, what does this say about the unlawful act of rebellion against His Majesty King George III's government by the American colonies that continues to this day; never mind the CSA - all you Yankees and Dixies need to swear your allegiance to Her Majesty [​IMG]

So come on , you rebels, find out what life is really like with Bliar as Prime Minister!

Yours in Christ

Matt