1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slidell Baptist Seminary Amends

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rustynail, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustynail

rustynail New Member

I owe an amend concerning my negative comments concerning Slidell Baptist Seminary. I am currently a proud student of this seminary, however a few weeks ago I started a discussion about this seminary in order to voice my opinions during a period of anger. Any negative statements that I made about SBS I retract and I owe an apology to any students of Slidell Baptist Seminary (past or present) and to it's founder and President, Dr. Paul O. Dabdoub. I feel that Slidell Baptist Seminary is a fine seminary with a few minor flaws, but we all have certain flaws in our lives. I would personally recommend Slidell Baptist Seminary to anyone who wants to prepare for the ministry. I hope that you all can forgive me for my actions, and for the sin of the anger and missuse of the tongue that I displayed.
    Rustynail

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So what caused the repentance?

4. Nord

Nord New Member

Just out of curiosity, does Mr. Dabdoub have any accredited degrees? I notice that both of his graduate degrees come from Andersonville (accredited by ACI).

Also, his web site for Slidell notes that it is fully accredited. What is not said is that this accreditation agency is not a recognized accreditation agency.....not recognized by CHEA or the US Dept of Ed. This means severely limited utility.

Do Slidell's Masters degrees qualify one for admission to an accredited seminary. Maybe you could point to some of them. Are Slidell's doctoral graduates working as fully faculty at accredited seminaries (in positions requiring a doctrate). Again, this might be helfpul information for us to determine the quality.

Let me give you an example in this regard...even though Bob Jones is unaccredited (at the moment) their graduates regulary are admitted to top graduate schools in the US. Some of their doctoral graduates are teaching in accredited seminaries.

Glad you found a program acceptable to you. You might help others by providing the above information.

Nord

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Rustynail,

I won't begin to guess what's going on in your own being, and maybe you made your charges out of ill will. As simply a bystander, I checked out Slidell's website and saw nothing but what has become a pervasive problem in higher education: unqualified persons erecting substandard institutions using unqualified professors teaching students who graduate with credentials but without the education they assumed they were obtaining.

I mean you no ill will, rest assured. I just want you to get the best training available.

Blessings,
    Bill

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I retract and I owe an apology to any students of Slidell Baptist Seminary (past or present) and to it's founder and President, Dr. Paul O. Dabdoub. I feel that Slidell Baptist Seminary is a fine seminary with a few minor flaws"

==I am sorry, and I don't mean to come off as being rude or anything, but since when did claiming accreditation when a school does not actually hold accreditation become a "minor flaw"? Mainly a so called "christian" school? Dr Dabdoud was very, very rude to me in several emails. After telling me of the many schools that accepted credits from Slidell I asked for a list of said schools (ie...schools that accept graduate degrees/credits from Slidell). In response Dr Dabdoud was very friendly and nice, however he did not provide any such list. The correspondence ended there. I was not impressed.

"I would personally recommend Slidell Baptist Seminary to anyone who wants to prepare for the ministry."

==Anyone who is called into the ministry can attend the seminary God has called them to. If that be Slidell then so be it. After my email exchange with the president, I would never attend that school. Again they claim to be accredited when they are not. That is no minor flaw that can be over-looked, that is a major flaw.

Also I seem to recall you saying that you found the teaching tapes quality to be low. What happened? Are you "personally recommending" a school that has low quality teaching tapes? I hope not. While I admire your attitude of repentence over anger, I have to wonder about your 180 on the quality of the school itself. Why the turn around?

What about the fact that one can get a "doctorate" degree from Slidell Baptist Seminary without any written thesis, or any text books. What about that? Is that a "minor flaw"? I certainly think not.

Martin.

ps...I just checked Slidell's web page. They still claim to be "fully accredited" (which they are not) and that no thesis is required for a doctorate degree. Purely amazing!

I wonder what schools, schools that are really fully accredited, accept graduate transfer credits or degrees from Slidell? I wonder what presidents of "major Baptist seminaries" are graduates of Slidell (a reference to a claim made by Dabdoub)? I await the list from anyone who can provide me with one.

7. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I know a guy that used this school and somehow he earned a doctorate in just maybe a year or two and was 2nd semester Freshmen or 1st semester Soph. before that. Something doesn't add up.

8. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Let me see if I understand your statement. This "guy" was a 1st semester sophomore, does an additional year of study (which would theoretically place him as a 1st year junior), and walks with a doctorate?

Ummmm, sounds like this guy is one smart cookie......... [​IMG]

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I know a guy that...earned a doctorate in just maybe a year or two and was 2nd semester Freshmen or 1st semester Soph. before that. Something doesn't add up."

==Correct, that does not add up. That is, in fact, not a doctorate degree at all. There are no short-cuts to a real education. One cannot skip from being a sophmore/freshman in college to a doctorate degree and expect that to be taken seriously. This should not be happening among any institutions of higher education. In the area of theology one must have a masters (usually with greek, hebrew, and latin hours) before one can become a ThD or a PhD. Anything short of that is not a real doctorate degree.

Martin.

10. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

My plan Lord willing is a PhD in New Testament Interpretation, so I realize it's going to take a while [​IMG]

11. Nord

Nord New Member

I assume, not from Slidell.

Nord

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Yes, sorry for not clarifying. From Bob Jones University (www.bju.edu)
    [​IMG]

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yea, I am sure that will take much longer. We seem to be headed in the same direction. I want to get a PhD in New Testament as well. Right now I am focusing on finishing my MAR at Liberty. After that I will either get a MDiv from Liberty or a MA/New Testament from Regent. Either way my focus is on New Testament studies/backgrounds and Christology (mainly the historical Jesus). I pray that the Lord blesses your studies at Bob Jones.

In Christ,
    Martin.

14. Nord

Nord New Member

Good luck Spoudazo. I have a lot of respect for BJU. What is remarkable is that the quality of their education was so well respected that even without accreditation their grads got into good graduate schools etc. Even on a secular education board, BJU is mentioned as an exemple of education that meets quality standards even though it is not accredited.

I also imagine that BJU will not be unaccredited for long. I have no doubt that they will be successful in their pursuit of TRACS accreditation and this will benefit the students who graduate from BJU.

Good luck!

Nord

15. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Now to clarify, once (Lord willing) they get done with the TRACS will that affect the amount of scholarships we can get, in a positive fashion? And does it go into affect for all who have graduated from there or all who will graduate *after* it is done? I'm still working through college, so that's why I'm curious [​IMG]

16. Nord

Nord New Member

Technically, those that graduated with a degree from a school before the school achieved accreditation still have an unaccredited degree. In a practical sense though, folks usually do not check beyond the fact of whether the school is accredited. Add to that the fact that BJU is well respected without accreditation, it should be no problem. The accrediation will just add to utility.

Someone has to graduate from a school before it gets accreditation as it is on its way, otherwise it would never make it (has to have students moving through as it goes through accreditation). Charles Stanley & Spiro Zodhiates both graduated from Luther Rice prior to them becoming accredited.

As to the question of loans. Technically, having TRACS accreditation will mean that BJU could apply for the ability of students to use federal loans and VA benefits. One of the things that kept me from going to graduate school there was the issue of the use of VA benefits.

What TRACS accreditation should mean in addition to that is that there will be more utility. For instance, where I work (large employer) we will accept Regional or National accreditation but not unaccredited degrees. This means the ability to apply for jobs with us and many other organizations. May mean more acceptance for certifications, etc.

Good luck!

Nord

17. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Wow, thanks for that helpful advice! [​IMG]

18. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Slidell is "FINE" ??

PLEASE!

WHY do you think that the study of our God and how to serve Him deserves so much less in substance and rigor than do secular studies?

WHY do you think that Slidell and its ilk , who are very different from the normal rigor and substance of Christian schools , are so "fine" ? They are not "fine" ; they are fraudulent!

PLEASE: Let's bring to our God the best of our effort and do for Him educationally only that which is credible ;IF we elect to get academic degrees, then let's make sure that the work for those degrees is the equivalent of that which is normally expected for those degrees.

Of course we all as individuals have flaws. Is THAT your best reason to support Slidell? It should as a Christian graduate school of "higher" learning exist and go on awarding advanced degrees for retarded expectations because "we all have flaws"?

Imagine that: a school "accredited" and recommended by reason of general Christian sinfulness not by reason of the individual school's scholarliness .

Just think of all the error and incompetency in so many contexts that we can overlook by using that argument.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "They are not "fine" ; they are fraudulent....Let's bring to our God the best of our effort and do for Him educationally only that which is credible ;IF we elect to get academic degrees, then let's make sure that the work for those degrees is the equivalent of that which is normally expected for those degrees."

All I can say is,,,,AMEN!

20. Nord

Nord New Member

Yes....brother Bill did not use tact but I think he said what we were all thinking and alluding to in various posts.

Nord

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.