1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Small businesses generate the most minimum wage jobs

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Aug 25, 2011.

1. targus

targus New Member

I would guess that workers usually have little to do with increased productivity.

My guess would be that increased productivity comes more often from improved technology - technology that the company owners had to invest money into to get that improved productivity.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

This is just incorrect.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is truth in it. Targus might have stated it, "unions generally push to keep productivity at the status quo".

Unions rarely want to increase productivity because they've got a wide spectrum of workers with various skill levels. Years ago, when I was a young man and worked in a union, I was beating the piece per hour production rate (assembling smoke detectors.) The union floor manager explained that I shouldn't exceed the hourly per unit rate or else management would be allowed to do a time study which could possibly force the piece per hour rate higher, which would be tough for the older ladies to meet. I was definitely told not to raise productivity.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Your single experience does not give room to pain all unions that way. I too was union at one time. My union pushed for a good days work. Just because your union was corrupt does not mean they all are as a whole.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see, so my experience with a union is dismissed, but your experience is valid. Nice.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Your reading comprehension was lacing this time. What I said was the broad brush being used to paint all unions is not correct. Your single experience is not support that gives room for the use of a broad brush. No one has dismissed your experience. But I do argue that you have misapplied it.