1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking and Beer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[​IMG]

I don't know if you miss JJ kingdom over that or not. I am sure there would be a meeting to decide.:)

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

NOW that is exactly what should be in the men's forum :laugh:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: :applause:

4. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Ga 5:21 Envyings, murders, DRUNKENNESS, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of GOD. I do not drink. I don't like the tast of it. And if I did I still would not do it. I would not but myself into that dead end to get drunk. what is the point in doing it but to get drunk . I have been drunk before and it was along time ago. The only reason I drunk was to get drunk.It does not tast good so why do you do it. Because it is good for you. No the only thing good for you is God. If someone told you it is good for you it was the devil. There is alot of good things for the body that we can do. I do not thank drinking is one of them.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since you quoted that verse, how come on the BB, in a year and a half, I have yet to see a single long, drawn out thread on "envyings". And it is at the head of the list, of these things, but have seen a bunch on alcohol?? Anyone got an answer for this one?? Doesn't "envyings", i.e. "covetousness" reach at least the same level as drinking?

Last time I checked, 'to covet' was one of the "Big Ten" 'Thou shalt nots'! But somehow I do not recall anything in the Ten Commandments about alcohol.

Did I somehow miss it??

Ed

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ed Sutton:
    You missed it because you were too busy

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. charles_creech78

Go ahead and post it and see what people thank.

8. charles_creech78

First of all let me give you the hole scripture Ga 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, whish are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Ga 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft,hatred,variance,emulations, wrath, strife, seditions,heresies, Ga 5:21 Envying, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Charles, I think that would make for a good thread. I was kidding Ed, of course, but he's right. I have never seen a discussion about covetousness either. And I think all kinds of other sins can spring up from coveting.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thank God.

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't drink anymore. Well, very rarely, anyway.

It's a matter of liberty. I have the liberty in Christ to drink alcohol in moderation, but my liberty ends where somebody else's potential stumbling block begins.

Because of my position in our church, I realize that I'm held to a different standard than I was before and I have a greater chance of being that stumbling block that causes a weaker brother to fall.

Much as I love my Yeungleung, it's not worth hurting a brother or sister in Christ so I gave it up. Of course, as little as I drank anyway, it wasn't that much of a sacrifice.

In all fairness, I did have four beers a couple of weeks ago at a concert (it was over the course of an entire day).

Those four beers were probably as much as I've had in the previous two years.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I understand your position even though I do not agree, it certainly makes sense. One question though, if you do not drink while teaching Sunday School for the sake of the students, don't you think to be totally honest they have the right to know how you feel about the situation, otherwise, it seems there is something to hide.

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I lost all interest in alchoholic beverages when I was born again. *Just like that* I lost all interest. The reefer, acid and magic mushrooms and all of it. It just disappeared in one day.

I did however smoke cigarettes for a while after being born again. I even witnessed as a smoker. Sometimes smoking as I witnessed. Effectively. People seemed to have "ears to hear" and were impacted.

But in time the cigarettes disappeared as well. Without any kind of "nicotine withdrawl" fits, either. (Praise God!)

But I dont make a big stink out of christians who smoke cigarettes or drink a beer or something like that in moderation, mainly because I would be going beyond scripture to do so. The scripture speaks strongly about drunkeness, not the occasional beer or smoking cigs.

We all know that Christ turned water into wine...not grape juice...for the wedding. Smoking is bad for your health, but so is all the high cholesteral fried chicken, and deserts at the typical church fellowship suppers.

But I'll tell anyone that God can give you victory over cigarettes if you'll let Him. And he can make a Canada Dry Ginger Ale taste better than any beer!

Mike

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AmyG's post #86 gave me a great laugh!!!

One of the best I've had for a while on these boards!

Blessings,

Mike

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't your neighbor, here, that gave her the opportunity get any credit for the humorous posts?? :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I had to delete two of your "laughs" to get two of my own to 'post'!

Ed

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We also need one on uncleaness, too. How many time a week are we supposed to shower? Do you use hand sanitizer on a daily basis? Don't you even DARE not wash your hands after using a public restroom! The lightning bolts will come-a-flyin!

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Drinking does seem to get an undue amount of attention.

I've got to tell you the thing I see being misused more than most is that old loving your neighbor as yourself . . . AND yet, we rarely see it addressed.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Drunkeness has no taste.
    Drunkeness is good for you? :confused:
    I knew it! All those years as a child my mom tried to make me eat all of those nasty vegetables telling me they were good for me! Ha!
    Hey now...my mom may have had a mean side, but them are fightin words!
    ...but you just said the ONLY thing good for you is God! Do I have to call mom to apologize? ;)
    ...then you would be disagreeing with many nutritionists and scientists.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

"What's that red stain on your shirt? Have you been drinking WINE!?!?!"

"No no no!! It's only blood, honest!!"

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed