1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SMOKING AND GAMBLING??? SINFUL??

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SAVED4LIFE, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Brian,

Yes, I would substitute testimony for witness, to a point.

Testimony is the recounting of events that have happened which you have witnessed.

"Witness" as it's commonly used by fundies implies that you are behaving in a certain way in order to convince non-Christians that they should convert to Christianity.

The problem with the idea of having "a witness" is that it takes the focus off of Jesus and puts it on your behavior.

First of all, I'm not convinced that smoking is a sin. Bad judgement, certainly, but sin? I don't think so.

If you're talking about non-Christians, they don't consider smoking a sin in the first place so it's not likely that they're going to judge you too harshly for smoking.

Most people realize that Christianity is a day to day process and that we are works in progress.

If you are someone who smokes and is having a hard time quitting, there is no problem at all in explaining that you feel that it's a habit that God wants you to break and that He is helping you to break.

2. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smoke_Eater:
    Brian,

"Witness" as it's commonly used by fundies implies that you are behaving in a certain way in order to convince non-Christians that they should convert to Christianity.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to say it's simply living the life of an obedient Christian, so as to be a light to the world. It is not to we can convince the lost to convert to Christianity, but to show the lost that what we have is real and that we live what we preach.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The problem with the idea of having "a witness" is that it takes the focus off of Jesus and puts it on your behavior.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so. People look at a Christian's life either way. Hypocrisy puts a bad taste in the mouth of an unbeliever. Righteous living reinforces what the Christian teaches.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you're talking about non-Christians, they don't consider smoking a sin in the first place so it's not likely that they're going to judge you too harshly for smoking.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to agree with you there. But I cannot. I've heard many unbelievers refer to the hypocrisy of Christians who smoke. When my pastor was first saved, he still smoked. As he was talking to a lost man about the Lord, telling him how Jesus could save his soul and change his life, the man pointed to the cigarettes in his pocket and said, "What about them? Can't He deliver you from them?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Most people realize that Christianity is a day to day process and that we are works in progress.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put. They also realize that a work in progress must progress. I wonder whether you'd take the "work in progress" position for a man involved in fornication.

-Brian C

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Brian,

I would certainly make a distinction between someone who lives a life of unrepentant sin and someone who "stumbles", recognizes his sin, repents and grows.

I'm not sure that your analogy works since we know beyond any doubt that the Bible condemns fornication. We still haven't established that smoking is a sin.

I still say that if someone is judging your Christianity by whether or not you smoke, they have misunderstood Christianity and if you believe that smoking or not smoking makes you more or less fo a Christian, you have misunderstood Christianity.

Does this mean that we have to toss out C.S. Lewis because he smoked (and drank quite a bit, as well)?

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

4. SAVED4LIFE

SAVED4LIFE New Member

I am a Christian and I smoke. I do feel God would prefer I not smoke, but I have no convictions about quitting right now. When God feels it's time for me to stop, he'll let me know. And with the help of God, I can quit. I will quit. I have quit smoking each time I was pregnant with no problems at all.

Yes, there are non-Christians and Christians who look at a saved person who smokes and thinks all sorts of things or assumes all sorts of things. If someone came up to me and said, if you wanna get saved you have to quit drinking, quit cussing, quit smoking, quit this and quit that, etc., I may have never gotten saved. My witness to my non-saved friends and family is that what I was before I got saved compared to what I am now is a miracle. I have quit drinking, gotten better at the cussing, and yes, I still smoke, and in GOD's timing, I'll quit that, too.

Being saved means "born again" which means this is all a growing process. There may be Christians who are never convicted of smoking. Who are we to judge others based on their "bad habits"....God is the judge.

5. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smoke_Eater:
    Brian,

I would certainly make a distinction between someone who lives a life of unrepentant sin and someone who "stumbles", recognizes his sin, repents and grows.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly. There is a vast difference there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure that your analogy works since we know beyond any doubt that the Bible condemns fornication. We still haven't established that smoking is a sin.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may not have established it to your satisfaction, but I believe it is a sin based on the damage it does to the body, its effects on your perception as a Christian, and the fact that it controls the user.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I still say that if someone is judging your Christianity by whether or not you smoke, they have misunderstood Christianity and if you believe that smoking or not smoking makes you more or less fo a Christian, you have misunderstood Christianity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smoking makes nobody more or less saved, nor does any sin. Nonetheless, smoking affects how people perceive us.

Is there a scriptual admonition not to roam the land naked?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does this mean that we have to toss out C.S. Lewis because he smoked (and drank quite a bit, as well)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally don't read him, but not for that reason. But to answer your question - God uses people many times in spite of their faults. Matthew Henry had hair like a woman (condemned in 1 Cor 11) but wrote a great commentary.

--B C

6. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAVED4LIFE:
    I am a Christian and I smoke. I do feel God would prefer I not smoke, but I have no convictions about quitting right now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How odd that you feel God is displeased with something about you but you also feel He doesn't particularly care that you continue in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I will quit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why quit if God doesn't seem to mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Who are we to judge others based on their "bad habits"....God is the judge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you judge me for going naked in public? How about for whoremongering? Where do we draw the line?

--B C

7. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAVED4LIFE:
    I am a Christian and I smoke. I do feel God would prefer I not smoke . . . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then Saved4Life, that is God's convicting power in your life! I say this in love as a sister in Christ . . . if you know that it is something God would rather you not do, then you better listen! Conviction doesn't always jump up and kick you in the rear end! Know what I mean? If you're waiting for a knock-me-down sort of feeling, then you might be waiting a while. That's not necessarily how the Holy Spirit works. However, if you do know in your heart it's not what God wants, it may not be a smack-me-in-the-face kind of thing . . . but it is God dealing with you nonetheless.

BTW, smoking won't send you to hell . . . it'll just make you smell like you've alredy been there. :D