1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Smoking gun emails reveal Blair's 'deal in blood' with George Bush over Iraq war

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by poncho, Oct 18, 2015.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What did I just say? Look Rev I don't want to get into a knock down drag out fight over this.

You believe whatever you want and I'll believe the mass of evidence ok? Having this same argument again isn't going to change either of our minds.

#21 poncho, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok so you are going to go back to the arguing in circles. I will leave you to it.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You can call it what you will but it's still arguing from evidence. And there's a lot of it to argue from these days.

Thank you for not resorting to the usual pejoratives to support your position this time. Mighty considerate of you old buddy. ;)

I still have to wonder how much better off this country and the world would be if "party loyalty" was never invented.

#23 poncho, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

It's since come out that the government at the time thought that Libya was a greater threat, and that it was highly unlikely that Iraq had WMD, and that was the only reason they would agree to participate in a war against Iraq.

At the time, from what I can remember, we was told that that it was highly likely that Iraq DID have WMD so we therefore HAD to intervene and support the war on Iraq. Hearing that they did have those capabilities les the UK people to agree that we didn't have any other option.

That's one of the lies that we were told. At the time, there was probably a 50/50 split in peoples opinions but hearing that they did pose a threat to the UK and the world, tipped the balance in favour of the government and they did get the support of the British people.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me the crux of this lying allegation is whether or not the intelligence at the time indicated WMD in Iraq or whether the intelligence showing WMD in Iraq was deliberately falsified by the Bush administration.

In one case it's not a lie, but rather was erroneous intelligence. In the latter case it was a lie.

So which do you think it was?

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I don't suppose the Rev would consider Bush using a non existent IAEA report to drum up support for the Iraq war was dishonest. Or painting a spy plane in UN colors and flying it low over Iraq hoping Saddam would shoot it down so Bush and Blair could use the incident as a pretext (Downing Street memos) would be dishonest. Or using forged "yellow cake" documents to claim Saddam was trying to build a nuke, or Colin Powell's speech to the UN or all the scare mongering Rice did or all the scare mongering the media did.

I won't even get into the constitutional responsibility of congress to declare war before we destroy a country and over throw it's government because following the constitution only seems important to "conservatives" when there is a democrat in office.

Yeah, I know Rev that's all "off topic".

If we were to make war on every nation that may pose a threat to this country or their neighbors or the big bank's and big corporation's interests abroad we'd be in perpetual war all over the world.

Oh wait, we are in perpetual war all over the world.

Saddam predicted the US would be fighting the "mother of all battles" if we did the "regime change boogey" on him and everyone laughed about it. Look what's happening in the middle east and north Africa now. Look at Syria.

#26 poncho, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015