1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking on Church Property

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by brackinja, Jun 13, 2007.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

No problem here. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I can't imagine even the most ardent smoker here thinking it was right to "light up" in a church building.

Yet when the legislation banning smoking in all public places in England comes into force on 1st July, even churches will be required to display a sign in their buildings displaying the international "no smoking" icon, and the words:

NO SMOKING.
    It is against the law to
    smoke in these premises

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I remember as a little boy---the men who smoked would all be gathered around after Sunday School at the front door of the church all of um would have one "fired up"----taking a few drags before "sangin' & preachin" time!!!!

You don't see much of that anymore, though---a sprinklin' few who still smoke before church

Nowadays---The worst problem times are at church weddings and funerals! The smokers will congregate outside the buildings(in Wintertime of the year they'll huddle around each other to help block off the North wind)----they'll thump the butts out into the flowerbeds, on the pavements

I encourage smokers to quit---I'm not gonna condemn anyone to hell for smoking---I've just seen too many people who smoke who later contract cancer---emphsema---etc, then want the church to "pray for their healing!!"

If you smoke---try your best to quit!!!

#42 blackbird, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well said.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely you jest ?

Then we shouldn't have toilets and outhouses on church property either, should we ?

(edited by pb)

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What a silly statement. That is up to the local church.

6. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I remember standing outside of a little country church where many a cigarette had been smoked and the butts discarded on the ground around the front steps. We were doing some work on the sanctuary when a person I had never saw before pulled up and got out of the car. He was new to the area and was looking for a church to attend. He noticed all of the butts on the ground and was shocked he could not believe that anyone would be that disrespectful. He left as soon as he came. That might have costed us one of the best church members we ever had. Was it worth it? No way. If one person is turned off because of our bad habits and lack of self control its not worth it. What means more to us a person or pleasing the flesh?

7. Conservative Christian

Surely YOU jest.

What we do in restrooms are natural body functions, the Lord having designed our bodies to do just that.

Compare that with a plant that contains carcinogenic substances, both natural and man-made, that is PROVEN to have killed millions worldwide.

Our bodies belong to the Lord, he instructs us to take good care of them. Using the restroom is not harmful, smoking is.

By the way, I don't know of any U.S. churches with "outhouses". That must be a Philippines thing. :laugh:

Churches are private institutions that have the legal right to set their own rules in this type of matter. If whiney smokers feel they are being "opressed" and made to feel like "outcasts", there are MANY other churches in this country.

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

Shouldn't it be up to God?

9. Conservative Christian

I don't recall God saying anything in regard to smoking cigarettes at church. Perhaps you could point us to a relevant verse?

God hasn't stated anything in the Bible pertaining to that issue, and I sincerely doubt he's going to appear in the near future to instruct us as to what we should do. So I believe it will HAVE to be left up to the judgement of the individual churches.

If anyone disagrees with the particular decision their current church makes, they are always free to find another church that agrees with their take on the issue.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I'm sure we could make an argument that smoking is mentioned in the bible.

Smoke went up from his nostrils
    2 Samuel 22:9

and the sanctuary was filled with smoke
    Revelation 15:8

Rob

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is a nasty habit. I would prefer that it not be done out front of the doors and it would be nice if there weren't cigarette butts in the bushes by the doors.

I would really prefer we not go to designated smoking areas.

I live in the heart of the tobacco industry. Lots of my friends work for that industry. But it's still a nasty habit. It's not good for the smoker. It's not good for anyone around the smoker.

12. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Don't smoke in the building or on the property. Cigarettes cause more fires than anything else.

Don't smoke. <----period.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we would become as serious about alcohol consumption as we have become about cigarettes? Wow! Alcohol consumption is a national nightmare, on highways and off.