1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by benz, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Not trying to get on your case, Jon-Marc, but rhetoric such as yours is just what smokers don't need. Please don't be so judgmental. Maybe you never smoked, but there are plenty of us who have. Such condemnation of smoking, using words like "putrid, foul stench" and "filthy habit," often has the effect that it sets the smoker's mind to keep on smoking rather than to quit. The condemnaion of something like smoking often does more harm than good.

As for your "lame excuse" condemnation, it's not nearly as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be. My wife and I really wanted to quit, but we were hooked on cigarettes. When we really had the incentive to quit it was one of the easiest things we ever did, even though one of us still occasionally has a desire for a cigarette after eleven years off them. I am sure that will never go away completely. Please don't be so judgmental of those who don't quit when they try. You have never been through it and therefore you don't have a clue what others are going through.

I know you likely meant well by posting what you did, but the manner in which you attacked smokers and smoking was not at all necessary. I also thank God that you never went through it, but you don't need to condemn others who have.

Jon-Marc, I did not mean to single you out when there are others who have also condemned smoking and smokers in this thread. All of you should step back and consider the things you said. Many of them are false, although not intentionally false. It is often the case that those who intend to be helpful are more damaging to their cause than those who say nothing.

#21 Keith M, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  2. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I doubt you will go to Hell for smoking, but you will distance yourself from God because smoking DOES HARN the body. Your body is GODS temple, no easier than that. It would be the same as overeating, obesity will kill you also, Gluttony is a sin. I am a Paramedic so I can preach the pitfalls of smoking. It will come back to haunt you in your older years. You can quit with Gods help. God Bless Tou.

3. benz

benz New Member

Genesis 24:64 (KJV) And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.

LOL thats funny I dont think God was talking about camel cigarettes. Well I quit cold turkey for about a week but while we have breaks in school my friends smoke and I hang out with them and feel tempted to smoke especially If I had a hard day in class. I do think God wants me to quit because its bad for your health and also is a waste of your money. I just want to give it up not because I am pressured but because I want to. I am just going to believe if I die smoking then I wont go to hell. I will make attempt to quit smoking this monday.

Thanks for all your replies,
    Ben

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Look to God for strength, Ben. I'll be praying for you.

:thumbs: :thumbsup: :wavey: :)

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everybody struggles.....everybody. And each with his/her own demons. Just keep going, brother. Just keep going. Consider yourself under an umbrella of God's love and grace and start over each morning if needs be.

Lamentations 3:22-23 - "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness."

:laugh: Maybe you shouldn't have said that. You see, I am going to be praying for you on Monday.....really hard. I'm going to be praying that you be convicted deeply and that the taste and aroma of the cigarettes make you cringe!

6. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. standingfirminChrist

I smoked for 23 years before giving them up on November 6, 1990. At that time, I was smoking 2 packs a day. I asked the Lord to take the desire away. After praying that prayer, I can truly say God did take that desire, but I found myself still smoking for about 10 days. Each time I would light up, I would question myself why I was smoking. I had asked God to take the desire.

Then, I saw a TV show that said nicotine was an addictive drug. And that many are smoking because of not just desire for the drug, but also because of habit. Many have to smoke after a meal or other activities.

I again went to the Lord and asked Him to take away the habit. I have not smoked since November 16, 1990. God took that desire and the habit away.

I disagree with those that say smoking is not a sin. James does say that if we know to do good and don't do it, we sin. Smoking causes too many ailments to say it is wise to smoke. And if it is not wise to smoke, then the opposite would be 'it is wise to not smoke'.

We are to be faithful stewards of all that God has given us, that includes our bodies.

Use wisdom.

8. standingfirminChrist

I forgot to say...

I had an uncle who smoked and his brother became a preacher. One day, my preacher uncle told my smoking uncle that he was going to pray that the next time he 'lit up' God would cause him to choke to death. LOL

But it worked! My smoking uncle was so convinced that my preaching uncle could pray and that prayer would be answered, he quit cold turkey right on the spot!

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, the second one might be a little harsh :laugh: maybe we could pray that he coughs out something very strange instead, ideas?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Smokers don't realize this. Its only after you have quit for some time that you begin to notice those that smoke.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Long ago in a land far away, my parents had a book on their shelf called The Amazing World of Kreskin in which the author, a magician, told of hypnotizing a lady who wanted to quit smoking. He told her that cigarette smoke would become loathsome to her. He heard a few days later that she was still smoking, but wondered why she couldn't keep food down.

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I had a long time friend who committed suicide. He died.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That would do it.

I was raised in a smoke free home and never saw a reason to start.
    It amazes me with all the real sins people commit as defined in the Bible, people make such a big deal about smoking.
    It seems we follow the worldly influence of popular opinion.

It is a stretch at best to call smoking a sin.
    The closest thing that i can see is that, All things are lawful but not all things are expedient.
    For me, I don't see it being expedient.
    If a brother in Christ chooses to smoke, who am I to stop him? That is unless he does it close enough to bother me or my family.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ben

I don't need to use scripture if you are worried you will die and go to Hell.

You already have all the reason that you need to quit.

It is just a matter of when.

God bless.