1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Osgatharp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Where does the Bible remotely suggest that smoking is a sin?

Is it not Pharisaism of the grossest sort to equate smoking with drunkeness or other crimes against God, as in the oft heard cliche' "the smokers and the drinkers."

When people use I Corinthians chapter 6 to "prove" that smoking is a sin, do they not equate smoking with horrid sin of fornication and thus make a scurrilous slander on otherwise decent people who happen to smoke?

I recently heard a young Calvinist student from the Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville preach that if you smoke cigarettes it might be an indication you aren't saved. I want someone to tell me where in the word of God it remotely indicates that smoking might be an indication of a non-regenerate condition.

For the record, I am not a smoker. I simply an fed up to my eyeballs with hearing Baptists preach Holy Roller Pharisaism on the subject of smoking. If you don't want to smoke don't, but don't tell another man he is sinning against God by doing so.

Mark Osgatharp

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It does not. It does, hwoever, warn agains abuse. Much of the time, smoking results in an addictive behavior which results in abuse. That abuse is a sin.

To use an extreme: Smoking a pack a day is likely a sin. Hitting up a hookah bar once a month is likely not.

BTW, I'm a nonsmoker, but I'm a slave to caffiene, and battle that addiction often.

3. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Pure human philosphy, void of Biblical basis.

By the way, what does "hitting up a hookah bar" mean?

Mark Osgatharp

4. whatever

whatever New Member

1Co 6:12 "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.

5. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Many use 1 Corinthians 6:19 to teach that we shouldn't abuse our bodies in any form. I think this is fair to say, because we all know what tobacco does to our bodies.

I don't believe that we should use this to determine who is saved or not. If that is what that young preacher said, then he was out of line. Everyone has a weakness.

It does indicate who needs help defeating this addiction, but pounding on them won't do the trick.

I personally believe smoking is a sin. If it isn't a sin, then it's safe to say that it is not the smartest way to pass the time!!!!!

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I do agree that it tends to be a "pet" sin that some constantly harp on. As if the inward sins were not as filthy just because they can't be seen.

Smoking hurts you grievously, but so do many other things we do to ourselves. We've got to remember that that person might be struggling with smoking but what direction is he going in? If he's trying to do what's right, and trying to get ahold of the addictions in his life, and trying to get to know God better, than God is more pleased with him than with the person who is just looking for an excuse to get out of church, never reads his Bible or prays, and doesn't have a kind word to say about anyone.

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

In my opinion smoking is a health issue, not a question of sin. If you want to call it a sin, then...

Swimming pools are sin - (Drowning is the seventh leading cause of unintentional injury deaths for all ages and the second leading cause of all injury deaths in children aged 1-14 years.)...

Using fireworks is a sin - ( In 2003, emergency departments treated 9,300 people for fireworks-related injuries in the United States, and 4 people died from their injuries.)...

Having poisonous substances in your home is a sin - (There are 26,000 accidental poisoning deaths annually in the US)...

Driving is a sin - (There are 44,000 deaths annually related to traffic accidents)...

Obesity is a sin - (Increases the risk of hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke, osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, etc)...

You get my meaning. Smoking is poor judgement, and it is a health risk, but a SIN? I don't believe so.

* Statistics are from CDC

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The addiction is the sin.

Most people don't get addicted to their swimming pool or to driving, and most do not live their lives under bondage to the Draino under their sink.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Smoking is the only thing on your list that when used properly will kill you. It also injures those around you if you choose to smoke around others.

However, to relate it to a salvation issue is tying works to the issue.

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Semantics. People can be addicted to caffeine, to chocolate, to watching TV, whatever. You can get somebody killed by not using your turn signals.

11. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I smoked for 28 years and it was tuff to quit but I'm sure glad I did.

As for the question is smoking a sin I really can't believe that you think it's ok. :rolleyes:

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

yes, I know people can have a sort of addiction to caffeine. Its not on the same par with nicotene though, which is a drug.

A true addiction overtakes a person's life, it is not just something they like an awful lot.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I rarely find an issue I agree with you about Mark, but I think we've found one. [​IMG]

I am not a smoker either and I live in a culture that is strongly anti-smoking. I consider smoking nicotine to be sinful when it becomes an addiction like another commonly addictive drug, caffeine. Of course neither is an indication of salvation.

I have never smoked a cigarette before but do drink coffee every once in a while.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Lately Ive heard more and more about several different addictions programs being started in churches.

The one we are involved in helping with here in Milwaukee is Reformer's Unanimous. It is not a 12-step program, and it actually could be compared in style somewhat to AWANA. There are several books of challenges that you work through, such as Bible memory, various service-oriented things, church attendance, and daily devotions goals.
    They also provide alot of helpful materials, and each week we meet for preaching and counselling time.

Its proven to be very effective all over the country, because its Bible pointing to Jesus, and the Bible always works where it's "tried."

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Caffeine fits under every english definition of the word drug that nicotine fits under.

16. princessJJ

princessJJ New Member

I am not a smoker, and I dont know think that just because you smoke you aren't saved.
    However, in Romans 12 we are called to present our bodies as living sacrafices, holy and acceptable to the Lord. I see smoking as destroying the body you have been given, however there are lots of other things that do the same. I think that it is really something between you and God.

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Ok, you can use the buzzword addiction and say that smokers are sinners if you want.
    But you cannot find any example of cigarette smokers robbing and stealing to support the habit. No one ever came in late from a night of smoking and beat up their wife or kids. No one ever had too many cigarettes and killed somebody on the highway because they were impaired. No one ever had one smoke too many and pulled a gun or got into a fight.
    Tobacco has become a social taboo among many groups of people, simple as that.

18. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Does the social taboo or the way the lost perceive smoking by a believer toss it into the category of a stumblingblock? Paul said he would not allow his liberty to `cause another to stumble.

Christians may have liberty to smoke because smoking is not a sin, but, can it harm the testimony?

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Possibly so. Similar to a person who has body odor, dandruff, food on their chin, or is loud and annoying.

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is that we don't preach something as sin when the Bible doesn't outright call it sin.
    That is stretching the point too far.
    Preach smoking as a bad habit, an example not to be followed. But don't preach it as sin, because it is addiction, when you yourself (not pointing to anyone in particular) may either be overweight, addicted to caffeine, sweets, or anything else that can lead or cause addiction.
    Addiction programs in churches like Bapmom's are good steps to take to help those suffering from addiction within the church community and is commendable, but if the purpose is to rid the addicted of 'besetting sin' then I don't think even Paul would agree with that.