1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PhatCat, May 22, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

smoke, smoke that cirgarette, puff puff puff yourself to death.

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Filling one's lungs with poison can never be good. Just because some have done it for many many years and got away with it does not equate that it did no harm. I've seen too much of the effects of cigarette smoke in my own family to ever believe it does no harm. I can't believe anyone would assume that smoking can be done to the glory of God...isnt that the standard for believers?

Bro Tony

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor does anybody else.

You think it's a bad thing that he had to have a jaw removed? [​IMG]

Okay, if you want to tell people to smoke, that's your business.

If the reasoning is that smoking increases the probability of health problems or early death, so does being a firefighter or law enforcement officer, eating meat or sugar, or being a missionary to a 'third world' country.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am not telling people to smoke, read the whole thing puff yourself to death. You read something into it that is not there.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

These gray areas that the Bible does not directly address are always debated. That is why we have the Holy Spirit in us. To me, besides the health issues, it is the witness. I find it hard to picture spreading the Gospel to a lost person with a cigarette in my hand.

6. SOGOSINGER

SOGOSINGER New Member

Amen! [​IMG]

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "smoke that cigarette" is in 'there.' Did you say that, or did you not?

8. standingfirminChrist

alcott,

I believe Brother Bob said it in jest... just as Elijah mocked the prophets of Ba'al

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this issue is in the category of "meat offered to idols" If you feel it's a sin, don't do it. If you believe it might make your bro or sis stumble, don't do it. If you believe it's harming you or anyone around you, don't do it.

I don't use tobacco, period, but that's by PERSONAL CHOICE, and not from legislation. In my younger days, I was an athlete, & I knew smoking would cut my wind. Besides, smoke just plain STANK! And I saw more than one ole man with a beard full of chaw flakes & juice, which looked so filthy I never wanted to do it.

But I'm not parochial about tobacco use. I believe it's every American's RIGHT to choose to use tobacco or not. As for the CHRISTIAN view, one must take all the above factors into consideration, and, if one chooses to remain tobacco-free, to NEVER diss anyone for using it!

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Of course he said it in jest. I was checking if he is honest enough to admit he's sarcastic.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It is a song ding ding ding let the muddy water out. (still singing, can't you hear it and surely you don't think little ole me is sarcastic? I just a good ole boy, never did no wrong. ) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Brother Bob,
    You are a poet and dont know it but your feet show it, Longfellows.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[​IMG] you have to humor some just to get along. Why he called that sarcastic I will never know. I thought I was just one of the group. [​IMG]

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

looks like Bro. Bob is the butt of some smoking jokes.

(get it?? Butt?? Cigarette??)

:D

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He don't know how to joke but butt hmmmmm, cigarette?

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am well aware that portion of a song is from a play, and that it was used in the late 60's or 1970 in some of the anti-smoking ads on television which networks had to put on as part of the "fairness doctrine", since they still carried cigarette ads. And it's of note that when cigarette ads were legislated off television the "fairness doctrine" no longer applied to cig smoking, so they (free of air time, anyway) were pulled, and smoking increased for the first few years of the ad ban; showing that good intentions are capable of producing the opposite of the desired effect.

Nevertheless, saying the opposite of what you mean is sarcasm, be it for humor, spite, or for any reason.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am sorry Alcott if it offended you I sure did not mean it that way and for it to be sarcasm I would of have to known I was doing it and I didn't. I was just making a joke and seems it didn't turn out very well, I hope you all will forgive me for I was just joining in and guess I shouldn't have. Sorry again,

Blessings,

BBob

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no apology in order for either of us.

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Who says there's anything wrong with sarcasm in and of itself?

Where would we be without hypothetical questions?

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Philippians 1:9-10
    9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
    10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ;

I don't know that I could call the marketing of a substance that causes so many deaths a year excellent. It may be a choice, but it is a stupid one. I smoked for over 15 years, and finally quit about 2 years ago. I still have trouble breathing freely, although I feel much better than I did. At the very least, Christians ought to be cognizent of the high cost of healthcare they are likely to incurr upon their family, and the emotional cost of losing loved ones to preventable diseases.