1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Snake handling

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 15, 2010.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree 100%, very good book. :thumbs:

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to call me KJVO feel free.

#43 Revmitchell, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
  4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Jerry Clower and Clovis Ledbetter walked into a church service in the backwoods of Tennessee----where one of the deacons had a burlap sack full of Rattlers he let loose on the floor!!!

Says Jerry to Clovis---"Clovis!!! They ain't no back door in this joint!!"

Says Clovis back to Jerry---"JAAAAAREEEEE!!! RECKON WHERE THEY WANT ONE????"

Sorry, Salty----couldn't resist that one!!!

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

......heheh, I couldn't resist post #19..... :D

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think this is bogus. FBC Baton Rouge is not that kind of church, in the least. Never heard of this Wittner guy, either.

Methinks we've got us an urban legend.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Double post

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's a spoof, satire. I was actually doing a search to see IF there were any Baptist snake handlers and ran across this. The hillarity of it overcome me at the moment and I immediately posted it, and thought better of it later not wanting to sound sacreligious. Perhaps I should have included some smilewinkgrins instead of the smileys at the bottom. My apologies if I caused any confusion; I have a sick sense of humor sometimes. :D

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Reads like something from larknews.com. Parody can be made to look very real.

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand and appreciate that type of humor. However, I never came accross baptist snake handlers. I have however ran accross pentecostal ones. A split off from the church of god of prophesy while I was in Tennessee. Very disturbing these folk. They also drank arsnic. It was in essence how they challenged their faith.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, we have some of the same folks in E. KY, Pentacostal & Holiness mostly. KY has outlawed religious snake handling.

I had some when they find out that I'm PRIMITIVE Baptist ask me if we handle snakes.

12. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I've never understood why people hold the "oldest" manuscripts in such high regard. On one hand you have a few copies that are physically older. On the other hand you have thousands of copies that agree fairly well with one another. The oldest copies weren't used by Christians for centuries. The more numerous ones were, which is why there are so many of them. All it takes is common sense to figure out which ones are trustworthy.

Also, the argument for the so-called "older and better" are actually saying that God left His people without the most reliable texts for centuries. Too bad all those Christians were believing the end of Mark falsely, and were practicing believer's baptism based off a text that shouldn't be in the bible. If only they had the older and better back then, eh. It's pretty easy to see the ridiculous position that so many modern critics have taken.

13. RAdam

RAdam New Member

It's sad to me that Christians refuse to believe that God has preserved His word. Jesus said man would live by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Too bad we can't tell which words actually proceeded out of His mouth and which were added by a reviser. What a sad view of scripture so many Christians today have.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Diatribe. So I take it you have a problem with textual criticism?

15. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I have a problem with people arguing that the bible Christians used for centuries has whole sections that shouldn't be in there. I have a problem with scholars telling Christians that they can't trust particular passages in their bible.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In essence isn't that the argument against using a latin vulgate english translation? And note the Byzantine text was used to support Eastern churches liturgies and added a fluidity not originally there? And if verses were added by a scribe isn't that problematic?

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

More bad news for you: http://www.theopedia.com/Johannine_Comma

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Yep, gotta love the old 1 John 5:7 argument. Clearest teaching of the Trinity in the scriptures so let's take it out. Textual criticism is the greatest example of the dangers of walking by sight and not by faith. It also shows the dangers of trusting in one's natural intelligence verses trusting in God by faith to preserve His word.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You know what a great example of walking faith and not by sight. Wako, Heaven's Gate, and Jim Jones to name a few. I think there is a place for both faith and textual Criticism.

20. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Not when textual criticism throws doubt on scripture. Either one believes God has preserved His word and He promised, or one doesn't.