1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"So blessed"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

An acquaintance brought to my attention that the word "blessed" in certain contexts are upsetting to her. Her example, someone who says to her, "The Lord has blessed me with three beautiful children." You see, she suffers infertility. Does this mean that because she doesn't have three beautiful children she's not blessed? That's how she takes it. Of course, she's very sensitive to those kinds of conversations anyway because of her lack of children.

How would you respond to my acquaintance?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a fact that she is not blessed with three beautiful children. But she may be blessed in other ways. Blessings come in many forms

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It is often difficult to not be jealous when we see other blessed with things we are not blessed with. We should rejoice in what God is doing for them, but often we don't.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your acquaintance should say, "I've been blessed with none, for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD."

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's blessings come in different packages. I think your friend is just hyper-sensitive about the terminology and no matter what is said along the lines of motherhood, she'll probably get upset.

I would repond that we should rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. If someone praises God for his blessings in a certain area, we should be happy for them and thank him for what he has done for us as well. When someone shares the "blessing" with her, she should not take it as an offense, but as an opportunity to rejoice with a friend. There may be much sorrow and pain in that mother's past or future that your friend knows nothing about.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be sensitive to her plight and distress

7. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

It must be terrible to want children and not be able to have them. Sometimes God uses situations like that for His glory by opening up other areas for us to serve Him. I will remember this person in my prayers.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

we do not all get the same blessings

9. Servent

Servent Member

Maybe you could share with her about adoption, It may be that would be even a bigger blessing.