1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So what is Baptist Board about?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I'm new to this site. I joined it because I have a desire for fellowship, a thirst for knowlege and a drive to test my own beliefs and thinking and consequently the thinking of others.
    I believe debate and discussion concerning the things we hold to is both good and necessary. We should have good reasons why believe what we believe. The strength of that reasoning can only tested properly in an environment where poeple differ from us. It's in that place of disagreement that we grow the most.

People also have a perception, and so do I to some degree, that Baptists are narrow minded and resistant to change.

The few topics I have posted on this site have been met with suspicion and negativity by a lot of members. It has been a minority who have responded in a positive way and been willing to exchange ideas and opinions.

I would really like to interact with like-minded people who are not afraid to examine the integrity of the core of their belief systems. If this site has such people please let me know so that I can fellowship with you in personally challenging way. If I have misunderstood and this site is a place where your posts are simply static statements of opinion, then please tell me forthrightly so that I can move on.
    I will rock the boat so if you prefer an uneventful ride tell me now so I can get off. If that is the case, hoonestly, there will be no hard feelings... :laugh:

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your attitude is quite healthy for this board. People need their world turned upside down. I think you will find that the majority of what you call "narrow minded Baptists" are a distinct minority, and usually base their dos and donts on tradition on a Pharisee type mindset and not commands from the Lord. The one that drives me nuts are those who think they know for 100% who is saved and who is not.

You stick around, stir up debate, and welcome to BB.

3. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

:laugh: its good to hear that.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Onlybygrace, stick around for a while and get to know us more in the fellowship forums. People are more apt to debate and discuss once they have gotten to know you better. Just be yourself, and don't get upset if others don't want to discuss or debate. Some of us are here just for fellowship, some for debate, many for both. There are days I'll just state my opinion, and there are days I'll actually debate. Depends on my mood. Everybody's personality is different and each of us have different needs and reasons for being here. There's nothing wrong with that.:wavey:

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No one should be surprised the many of us Baptists are narrow-minded and resistant to change. When you're right, people will think of you that way.

Since most of us are Baptist, we will be pretty narrow-minded about:

Salvation by grace through repentance and faith
    Security of the believer
    Baptism by immersion of believers only, non-sacramental.
    The Lord's Supper for baptized believers only, non-sacramental
    The certain return of Christ and final redemption of believers and judgment of unbelievers.

Try to argue against those and you will meet plenty of resistance.

I have some pretty strong views on some other doctrines and practices. But I'll discuss and debate, not necessarily because I'm open-minded, but because my brilliant reasoning and use of scripture might change your mind.

I always try to do it, but often get humbled by folks who are lot smarter and more scripture-proficient than I am. No matter. Tough my hot buttons and I'm right back in there.

You'll find few will convert to your point of view. The best you can hope for is something like "hmmm, let me think about that."

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

...about ten years old, I think.

:D

Ed

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a good site with some great people...give it some time. This coming from another "boat rocker" :)

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.

Welcome, Onlybygrace!

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have. I'm not much of a debater.

I usually come here with questions and I always appreciate the advice and support I get here with my fellow baptists.

If you have an open mind, you'll get along here just fine. However, if you think that you're 100% right 100% of the time and that God Himself hath commissioned YOU to come in here and correct us all, then you will not last long here.

And just remember something about the written word: be careful what you type! I tend to be a sarcastic type person and people who know me personally understand that 85% of the time, I'm joking around. But I don't type like that in here since the written word cannot convey voice inflection, facial gestures and whatnot....OR JUST USE THE SMILEYS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!

:laugh:

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you will find Baptist to be a general term which includes a wide variety of attitudes and some doctrines. That includes the very mature to the very immature, the brainwashed to those who are secure in being challenged in their faith knowing they will come up stronger than before, and those who are so shaky that once their faith is challenged their world comes down and they fall so they put up a mask to cover themselves and thewir world as a disguise to cover the real person.

10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Hoonest is always the best poolicy! Hah! (that is my substitute for a smiley, feel free to use smiley when I do a bloooper!)

Narrow minded? I am as narrow as the book, but the book is a lot broader than many who have posted here...

Resistant to change? The only one who likes change is a wet baby! And even they often cry about it, not only that, but in the process of change, they sometimes wet on you!

If your views cannot stand a challenge either you do not know it well enough, are wrong, or just cannot articulate well. In my personal estimation, sacred cows make the best tasting burgers! That said there is still an important distinction to be maintained between having an open mind and a hole in your head. I know a few people who are so open minded that they have let their brain roll right out...