1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So Where Do those Who hold To Arminianism Receive Their Assurance From?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically, mid-Acts dispensationalists believe in at least 7 dispensations for salvation--only the "Age of Grace" is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone:

1. Dispensation of Innocence (Adam and Eve in Eden)
    2. Dispensation of Conscience (The Fall through the Flood)
    3. Dispensation of Human Government (Post-Flood Noah through Abram)
    4. Dispensation of Promise (Abraham through pre-Law Exodus)
    5. Dispensation of Law (Law given to Moses until conversion of Paul)
    6. Dispensation of Grace (Conversion of Paul until Rapture)
    7. Dispensation of the Kingdom (Tribulation and Millennial Kingdom)

The idea is that in all but the sixth dispensation, works were part and parcel to one's salvation. In other words, when Jesus was on earth, He taught a Jewish "kingdom gospel" of salvation that included works (The Law) as a requirement for justification. Also, the Great Commission was actually part of the Jewish "kingdom gospel" and has nothing to do with "The Body of Christ."

This also means that from Pentecost until Paul's conversion, salvation supposedly still required works (water baptism and the Law). Jesus, Peter, James, and other Apostles taught faith + works salvation. Only with the conversion of Paul did "The Age of Grace" begin where salvation is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone. Therefore, the early church had to deal with the wrinkles of having, for a time, two legitimate gospels ("the gospel of the circumcision" and "the gospel of the uncircumcision") being preached to two different groups--the "Church of Israel" and "the Church, which is His Body."

The Church of Israel is those Jews (and Gentile proselytes) who were saved under the "kingdom gospel" who will rule and reign with Christ during the Millennial Kingdom.
    The Body of Christ is those saved under the "Age of Grace" (the "mystery" revealed specially to Paul) wherein Jew and Gentile are equal. These will be raptured before the seven-year tribulation and will remain in heaven forever (they will not reign with Christ on earth).

-------------------

I am NOT a mid-Acts dispensationalist, but I have family members who are. Mid-Acts'ers call their theology and their church "Pauline." Because you kept emphasizing that you primarily followed Paul's epistles, I assumed you were mid-Acts dispensationalist.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Divinely
    Accepted
    With
    Grace

There you go!!

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Awriiiight! I knew somebody would come up with it. Thanks.

I read your idea to my wife and she offered the negative interpretation
    Doing
    Awful
    Without
    Grace

#64 Tom Butler, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He shoots, and he scores! :type:

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You're welcome, Bro. Tom. This came from a non-cal mind you. Since May, 2008 , I have went down from 305 to 215...with a few pounds to go. But the quickest weight loss I ever got, was when He removed a mountain of sin from me, and set me free by His Grace! You talk of feeling lighter than ever!!

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The 7 dispensations I hold you listed.
    1. Dispensation of Innocence (Adam and Eve in Eden) No salvation needed only obedience don't eaqt of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

2. Dispensation of Conscience (The Fall through the Flood)
    3. Dispensation of Human Government (Post-Flood Noah through Abram)
    4. Dispensation of Promise (Abraham through pre-Law Exodus)
    5. Dispensation of Law (Law given to Moses until conversion of Paul)
    This group salvation was by believing in the saviour who was to come and counted that faith in a saviour to come as righteousness. God promised the saviour to Adam and Eve and they believed the promise. Noah and His family believed God and because of that faith found Grace in the eyes of the Lord. The law given to Moses never saved them, instead the law showed God's standard and belief in the Messiah to come was required. Belief that he would pay for their sins.

6. Dispensation of Grace (Conversion of Paul until Rapture)
    7. Dispensation of the Kingdom (Tribulation and Millennial Kingdom)
    Our Age of Grace required believing on the Saviour who has come and in the Tribulation it will be in the same saviour who has come. In the Millinium it will be in the SAviour who is reigning on earth.
    Never by works and never anything added to it. Always by grace are ye saved through faith not of works. Salvation has always been based on Grace through faith and always will.

So I guess no I am not a Mid-Acts dispesationalist.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That's a powerful metaphor, and a great testimony to God's grace.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Or ..

Delimited (to limit)
    Atoning
    Work
    -of-
    Grace

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I guess I get lumped into the "A" camp, seeing that I hold their view closer than I would DoG/Calvinism. But I do believe in OSAS. I am fully persuaded that He is able to keep that which I committed into His hands against that day. On May 24, 2007, I committed my life into His hands, and He has kept me thus far, and will continue to do so, until He takes me home to glory.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

good!

you have placed the confidence in God to keep you, and that is the best place to go!

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non-Cals must rest on God's work in not allowing them to choose to leave, but I can't imagine how they can have any assurance that their first work, which on its own must meet with God's conditions, actually did.

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Since God based His election upon their faith/response made to Jesus, would they be the ones keeping themselves in the faith?

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Both Cals and non-Cals affirm the work of God in regeneration, so both of us should be resting in God's work to sanctify and adopt us.

Well, since non-Cals deny that believing in Christ is a "work" and would certainly never affirm that it's something we do "on our own," you've once again managed to erect a straw-man with which to attack.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not speaking for Arminians or Calvinist. Hebrews says;
    Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
    MB

16. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fortunately, Aaron, we don't rest on your imagination for assurance. We rest on God's Word, the same as Calvinists do.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Boo! Boo! Hiss! Hiss!! :laugh:

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, where did I put those box of matches??