1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura vs Sola Scriptura

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JFS, Aug 10, 2003.

1. JFS

JFS New Member

I hope that we can keep this thread going. MikeS tried to start this topic but I guess there was a word used in it that the moderators thought was better discussed in another forum.

Ok. What we have here is two completely different interpretations of what I believe to be an essential of faith. We have Rev. Joshua who applauds the recent appointment of a certain Bishop in the Episcopal Church and indeed agrees that, Biblically, it was the correct choice. He feels that the Holy Spirit lead him to this truth through reading the Bible. On the other side we have Yelsew et al that disagree. They disagree because through reading the Bible and being lead by the Holy Spirit that it is an abomination that the Episcopal Church appointed this Bishop. (I hope this is right) And in between we have the Catholics asking, “What gives Guys?” We have an essential of faith here and yet two Protestants can’t agree on it.

I hope we can have a good discussion.

God Bless

John

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Not every spirit is of God. By its fruits a spirit is discerned.

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Under the doctrine of the authority of the believer Rev. Josh and Yeslew are both right unto themselves.

4. JFS

JFS New Member

Brother Adam
    If this is the case which interpretation agrees with God then? Surely in this case one interpretaion agrees with God and the other does not. Or is this issue, in your mind, not an essential one and thus does not concern God?

God Bless

John

5. JFS

JFS New Member

Tour
    So is which one is the spirti of God?

God Bless You

John

6. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Doesn't the bible say something about heresies appearing in the church...I think this is a perfect example of good doctrine being twisted to create one.

Bryan
    SDG

7. Bugman

Bugman New Member

And just for arguemnt sake, there are many Catholics who believe that the decision was not wrong. They are not submitting to Papal authority jsut as the Protestants who believe this decision is right are not submitting to Sola Scripture but reading their own interperation into the texts.

Bryan
    SDG

8. MikeS

MikeS New Member

But the key difference is that the interpretations of dissenting Catholics are in no way considered authoritative. It is clear to everybody that they are dissenting from Church teaching, as opposed to holding to another, equally legitimate interpretation. If I drive 90 in a 65 zone, I am clearly dissenting from the authoritative interpretation of the traffic code text. I am not simply following my own equally legitimate interpretation of the text.

With sola Scriptura there can never be authoritative teaching, because the underpinnings of any commonly-accepted interpretation can always be challenged, exactly as is happening in this instance. There is no authority involved in sS interpretations, only persuasion.

The question eventually comes back to who, today, has the power to bind and loose, and who, today, has the promise of being guided into all truth.

9. Eladar

Eladar New Member

The one that is in accord with the gospel message.

Which gospel message is correct? All we can do is agree with the people we agree with. There are those who unkowingly call good evil and evil good.

In the end, God will let us know. Until then all we can do is have confidence that we are correct.
    Which is a load of hooey according to the Bible.

10. JFS

JFS New Member

If I read your statement correctly you seem to be saying that Sola Scripture is an authority unto itself. Is this correct? Who decides what is what then?

God Bless

John

11. JFS

JFS New Member

Tour wrote:
    By this statement so seem to be implying that "Truth" is subjective and not objective. With this line of thinking you are saying that "I am correct because I believe I am correct and to prove it here are some Bible quoetes that if you interpret them this way back me up". I cannot agree with this line of thinking. God is constant. God is Truth. Therefore Truth is constant. My God is not a god of Confusion.

God bless

John

12. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I am not saying that at all. I am saying truth is objective. I am just saying that most people follow a lie.
    If this is true, then why did Jesus teach in parables?

If this is true, then why is there so much disagreement?

13. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"Which is a load of hooey according to the Bible."

I wholeheartedly agree.

14. JFS

JFS New Member

What does Jesus teaching parables have to do with anything we are discussing?

Disagreement and confusion come about as a result of PRIDE . The Protestants approach to faith is why should I have to rely on someone else telling me what the Bible says when God gave me a good brain to figure things out for myself.

The Cathlolics approach is "Jesus gave us an authoritative teaching body to preserve and teach the faith". In daily practice a faithful Cathoilc humbles him/her self and subjects themselves to the authority of the Church.

I would submit that "catholics" that disagree with the teachings of the Church are not faithful ones and thus are not really Catholic.

God Bless

John

15. Eladar

Eladar New Member

You said that God did not mean to confuse people. It seems to me that teaching in parables is very confusing. If God did not want things to be confusing, then Jesus should not have taught in parables. He should have just said thing plainly.
    This isn't exactly what Jesus said. Jesus said that there are things in our hearts that lead us. What is in our hearts needs to be tested.

I'm not saying that pride is not an issue, but it is not the only issue.

I see, you believe in the inerrancy of the human institution known as the Catholic Church. Go ahead and trust in man.
    I would submit that "Christians" that disagree with the teachings of the Bible are not really Christians. [​IMG]

16. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"I would submit that "Christians" that disagree with the teachings of the Bible are not really Christians. [​IMG] "

What a statement! Who wants to point the finger first? How about a Catholic telling a Baptist that they don't believe what the Bible teaches, or a Methodist telling a Catholic that they don't believe what the Bible teaches, or a Lutheran to a Angelican, or a RC to a Eastern Orth., and so on and so on and so on and so on.

17. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Paul had no problem making that statement and neither should we. False teachers are not Christians.

Sure, there are debatable matters, but sexual immorality is not one of them.

18. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

No folks, it comes down to what man is willing to accept as God's truth!

God established that certain activities fit in the SIN category and others do not. God informed man through his elect representatives, the authors of portions of what we call the bible, just what it is that is NOT acceptable practice for man. God gave many examples over time of activities that constitute sexual immorality, and those basically are anything that is destructive to the sexual activity that God intended for his creation to engage in. He also gave pretty specific examples of sexual activity that He established as Acceptable for his Created man to engage in and established the purposes for it. And He, GOD, called all other sexual activity IMMORAL (SIN).

It just so happens that God established that All sexual activity outside the bounds of monogamous marriage between one man and one woman falls into the category of sin, making those who engage in those activities sinners. Now I am not the authority who says that, God ALONE is the Authority, I am merely a warning sign that God called to duty to remind people of what God established for man.

I am like a law book, the book is not the authority, neither is the law contained in the book. The one who established the Law is the Authority.

Who established that Homosexual activity is immoral sexuality? God did by defining what constitutes acceptable sexual activity in man. All other sexual activity is immoral, and is thus sin. God says so, Not Yelsew.

Now God also established His church among men. God is Holy and in Him there is no sin. Sin and Holiness cannot occupy the same point in time and space". Therefore, if God is to be with man, in His church, established so that man can experience God's presence here in this natural realm, then man must not bring sin into the church else God will not be present there in the church. Only fools think in their hearts that Holy God brings his holiness where man brings his sin.

19. JFS

JFS New Member

No. I believe in the inerrancy of a Godly institution set up by Jesus himself and guided by the Holoy Spirit know as the Catholic Church. Because you are full of pride and refuse to see this is your problem. You make statements like the following:
    yet you do not provide us with a teaching authority to let us know what the Bible teaches.
    To say that the writen word is self evident is akin to saying that the constitution of the United States is self evident and we don't need lawyers to interpret it for us. Rediculous.

With a teaching authority things like parrables are not very confusing. And when they are read with the light of faith they seem abundantly clear to me.

God bless

John

20. JFS

JFS New Member

Hi Yelsew,

This thread is not about sin it is about who's interpretation of the bible is correct. An earlier thread was closed because the content of the tread seemed to focus on the sin rather than on sola scripture. Could we please keep it on topic. I would not like to see it close down because of the content was contrary to the board rules. Thank you.

God Bless