1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 18, 2010.

?
  1. It is an error and/or heretical to use anything other than God's Word.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I use only God's Word alone.

9.1%
  3. I use God's Word and other resources.

81.8%
  4. Using other works means you accept these as inerrant.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It can actually be dangerous to only use His Word on ones own.

27.3%
  6. People fall into error with the "Scripture only" mentality.

22.7%
  7. I am closer to God using only His Word.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I have found greater revelation of truth using others works.

27.3%
  9. Scripture necessitates using others works to help us understand Scripture.

40.9%
  10. Using others works means you equate them as equal to Scripture.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I cannot answer the poll, for it is full of loaded options. The choices are akin to asking someone the question, "Does your wife like it when you beat her?" In other words, the fallacy, "begging the question."

You do not offer the option, "Other works magnify and add to the study of God's Word, but are neither inspired nor on the same level as the revealed Word." That would be my preferred choice.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Unless we invoke path integral formulation into the equation... Then pi may indeed be square and cornbread round. :laugh:

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This OP is concerning what?

Your topic is a straw man, signify that you're losing.

:wavey:

Yep, I have expressed a belief in it. You're right there. Then your fingers get ahead of facts on the rest of your accusations. I never laid ANY claim to all you accuse of about Calvinism and my beliefs. Yet this is the norm for you.

Many on here would testify my limited and balanced acceptance of some points of Calvinism. I'm not thematic on it. Go take a gander at "What's at Stake?" and see in the OP just how strong my beliefs in Calvinism are.

Anyhow, this OP has to do with whether or not we believe in using other methods and extrabiblical works to understand the Scriptures. Something you are against, and which can be cleary seen on the thread this OP came from.

It's unfortunate that you resort to fairy tails and outright mistruths as a comeback. Anyone can take a look at this OP and see where you made up nonsense based on my statement: "Certainly salvation is easy to understand as a babe. But it becomes more complex as we grow. We have more questions. Thus the many volumes of theological works". From this you derived that I use mens works as to grow in grace....as inerrant, and further drivel and lies coming from you in response.

I mean, this is really sad that a believer resorts to lying.

Pull out your Scriptures and read in Exodus 20, the 9th commandment, about bearing false witness. If you can't comprehend the 9th commandment, grab a commentary to help you. This is exactly what you have done, you bear false witness against me. That you can't admit it tells me more about the person you truly are.

Then, after you humbly admit that you have misrepresented me on here, twice, go take a look at my post "What's at Stake?" and figure it out concerning my stance on Calvinism. My reason for being here is to learn and fellowship. Yours has been to slander, accuse, make false statements and accusations completely unfounded.

I'm here to learn. Not accuse. Nor allow someone who lies, as you do, to deter me from it.

:wavey:

#23 preacher4truth, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  4. preacher4truth

Why does there need to be a disclaimer that other works don't do the above things? This poll was generated due to the facts on the original poll, wherein I was accused of being wrong for not using the Word of God only for study, and that using the words of man is wrong.

Although I enjoyed your illustration above, it falls short of describing what this poll is about or akin to. Instead it just shows your lack of understanding on a rather simplistic thread, or that you're on perhaps another agenda.

I'll bet on the latter.

#24 preacher4truth, Dec 19, 2010
  5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Because I (we) hold only Scripture to be the revealed Word of God. All other work is good, decent, and informative -- very helpful, indispensable, perhaps -- for the study, but not God's Specific Revelation.

6. preacher4truth

Revelation doesn't always mean special, general, or natural.

I use it in its general, secular sense.

#26 preacher4truth, Dec 19, 2010
  7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Smiling.....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

8. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There are types of revelation, equally valid, as all come from God, but differentiation between the types is important. Only one is "specific" in detail and type, "inspired" by God, and "inerrant".

The other revelations, general, etc., are all VERY valuable, but have a higher degree of interpretation involved in understanding what we see (if we can indeed interpret those accurately).

Plato, for instance, did a remarkable job -- perhaps the best of any natural man, using the general revelation observed from living on this planet -- to give us a picture of "god" and "god's actions" and philosophy. But, he missed the boat on several critical issues because he did not have specific details, prophecies, etc., that have given us the direct mind of God.

Can we use Plato's insights into the world around us? Absolutely. Do they trump Scripture? Not a chance. Same with human logic, reason, observation, etc. All very valuable, but not in the same league with Scripture.

10. preacher4truth

My only point in the thread is that other works are good for study helps, but are not Scripture, and other men help assist our learning the Scriptures. For that to be twisted into what it was (as seen in the OP) is utter foolishness and inflammatory nonsense. I agree with all you said above. Perhaps my choices in the poll aren't clear, but the length of each question is limited to so many characters, and makes it somewhat difficult to express them fully.

#30 preacher4truth, Dec 19, 2010
  11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Yup... Point made. We're on the same page. :thumbs:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

TOOOOO funny!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I haven't voted, because there is not a choice that states my view in a way that is not open to misinterpretation. (I'm not blaming preacher4truth for this - I realise the difficulties of composing a poll).

I don't think it's wrong to use things like concordances, bible dictionaries, commentaries, but (as others have said) it would be wrong to do so if we were to elevate such extra-biblical works, and consider them in any way as inspired or inerrant.

14. preacher4truth

My apologies for the difficulties understanding the poll questions. Here they are, further expressed:

It is an error and/or heretical to use anything other than God's Word. Using other works to help understand and interpret Scripture is plain wrong.

Thus, the next choice:

I use only God's Word alone. Using other sources to help understand the Bible is wrong.

I use God's Word and other resources. When studying Scripture, I use other resources to assist me in interpretation.

Using other works means you accept these as inerrant Simply using these means you see them on the same level as Scripture, as inspired, theos pnuestos.

It can actually be dangerous to only use His Word on ones own. I have personally witnessed persons who refuse to seek other resources dangerously interpret passages way out of context and application. So, can this be dangerous? Yes or no?

People fall into error with the "Scripture only" mentality. Self-explanatory. Can this happen or is it impossible?

I am closer to God using only His Word. Since I only ever have used the Bible to understand the Bible, I am holier that thou.

I have found greater revelation of truth using others works. In other words, by studying Biblical culture, theology, commentaries &c, I have been able to have more enligthening Bible studies. Revelation here does not mean a divine revelation from God.

Scripture necessitates using others works to help us understand Scripture. Some of the sayings in Scriptures require an understanding of the cultural context in order to understand them.

Using others works means you equate them as equal to Scripture. You believe if others seek extra-biblical works to study the Bible, other than the Bible alone, this means that said persons believe those works are inspired like the Bible.

* The poll was written in reaction to one on here who accused me of believing that other works are inspired, that using them means I have placed my faith in other men, that I in fact believe them to be inspired, and other absurd accusations ensued.

#34 preacher4truth, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Alas, cosmologists and physicists wrestle with those issues every day. They are actual mathematical constructs used to describe the workings of our universe.

Weirdly, we've been taught, based in Euclidean geometry that certain formulas are always true -- that the sum of the angles of a triangle always equal 180 degrees for instance. But in non-Euclidean geometry, a triangle may be less than or more than 180 degrees depending on hyperbolic or elliptic geometry. That means that we can no longer (nor could we ever) actually "prove" anything based on numbers for they are not always as they seem.

We hold number theory to be true based on axioms -- logical propositions that are deemed true because they are self-evident, but are not proven. Thus things are not always as they seem, nor is there any satisfaction derived from numbers, as they only point to an uncertain cosmos.

Of course, we CAN be certain of one thing -- by faith -- that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that He is the only SURE thing (if we dare call God a "thing").

16. quantumfaith

Good post glfredrick.

Mathematics is "man made", although even that is debated by scientific philosophers. When we(science community) have found conditions in which current mathematical models and systems do not "work", we then set about to create new ones to "solve" the problem. Case in point, the advent of quantum physics in the 20th century. As you are most likely aware, it was a "difficult pill to swallow" even by some of the greatest science and math minds, and yet it enjoys almost a century of accurate predictions. Aside from knowledge of God, to me, understanding (attempting to) and modeling God's infinite and awesome creation is as they say "the bomb".

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

We're getting far afield from the OP. Perhaps a new thread.

But, have you considered information as the key and source of all things? At the core of everything is nothing more than information. That information is structured by God into what appears to us as solid entities, but from the basis of Science, we rightly understand that what we perceive as "solid" is in fact nothing more than positive and negative charges cleverly arranged to have properties in keeping with the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons (not to mention the building blocks of such).

18. quantumfaith

I have only done cursory reading on the "information thingy", as I recall it relates to string theory and super string theory. This is mentioned in a book called "The Hidden Face of God, by Dr. Gerald Schroeder. (One of my favorite science/faith integration writers)

19. quantumfaith

Is the following logic deficient?

P: All systematic theologies are created by man
    P: All men are fallible
    C: All systematic theologies are fallible

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Yup... equivocation and begging the question.

But that doesn't mean that, pragmatically, it doesn't work out that way. I know of no systematics that are infallible. I'd say that the flaw in your logic comes in the first statement and if I were to defeat the proposition that is where I would start. Systematic theology SHOULD be an expression of biblical truth, not something created by man.