1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soldiers Corner: How do you deal with killing the enemy?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Brownbelt, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Brownbelt

Brownbelt New Member

I have several friends serving in Irag. It would not surprize me if some have had to kill. What methods and scripture would you use to counsel these soldiers when they return?

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Brownbelt:

There is no 'magic bullet' verse you can share with someone and make them feal better. Unless you have been extremely close with these people they will probably not want to talk about it with you. I know from my experience there are things that I can share with other veterans that I cannot talk about with any other pastors or even my wife. I would recommend:

1. Don't treat them any different. They are still the same people. Don't push them to talk about things they feal uncomfortable with but at the same time if they do want to talk, listen. The worst thing you could do is avoid and ignore them. Try not to act like it is big deal.

2. Talking to other people who have been in similar situations will be the biggest help to them. For them to know that they are not alone in their feelings. There is comfort in shared sufferings. If you have never been through anything like that then they will have trouble explaining it.

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi Brownbelt,
    I'd agree with NC Tentmaker in that if one hasn't been there it is (I believe) impossible to fully understand/empathize with a combat vet.
    I personally came to Christ while a senior NCO in a rifle battalion of the 82d Abn, just prior to the first Gulf War. I already had two tours of combat, and I found peace through Jesus Christ. After reading the old testament accounts of the wars that Israel fought, and seeing that David (a man of war) was refered to as a man after God's own heart; I came to understand that I was not condemned by the blood on my hands. After reading Romans 13, I realized that being a soldier in the service of my country was part of God's plan of earthly government. The absolute key verse that helped me personally though was Romans 8:1. May God give you discernment and comforting words to speak.

4. Brownbelt

Brownbelt New Member

I appreciate both of your comments. I have served 8 years active duty Air Force and now I have been selected for active duty again as an Army Chaplain.

I would appreciate your prayers!

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

You have it Brownbelt, you have a tough job ahead of you. So many military chaplains are poor theologically and personally. The Army chaplains I knew when I was in were all a complete waste of time. I have met a couple of chaplains since I got out that were real Christians but my experience is that they are few and far between.

Many soldiers have a twisted view of God’s word and God himself that has come from modern ‘love everybody’ theology. They think that they have nothing in common with Biblical characters. God’s word is full of warriors, but many soldiers have no idea. Once I shared the story of Abraham rescuing the king of Sodom and Lot and the response was bewilderment. My guys could not believe that Abraham was actually a pretty fierce guy. My favorite story to share with soldiers was that of Jonathan when he and his armor bearer infiltrate the Philistine camp (I Sam 14).

When they realize that the Bible applies to them your job will get a lot easier. I agree with Mcgyver’s comments also. Let the Spirit guide you, God has been doing this for a while.