1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

solemness or joy during worship

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by myfavoritmartin, Apr 7, 2006.

1. myfavoritmartin

myfavoritmartin New Member

pain 22 o.t.
    3 n.t.
    sorrow 52 ot
    23 nt
    sad 7 ot
    3 nt
    I think we are seeing a pattern here.

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I think we are seeing a pattern here.

Yep... there is more joy and positive in the Word than sad and negative.

Grab the electric guitars, the drums, and the ecectronic keyboard and.....
    Everything that has life Praise the Lord!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Daughter

Daughter New Member

I feel exactly the same way! There's a time for joy or solemnity in any given season.

4. Daughter

Daughter New Member

what you've describes (sometimes)sounds like the church I'm a member of, and we're pentecostal! Ritualism or mundane routine can be found anywhere if we're not watchful to be truly reverent and transparent in worship.

5. Daughter

Daughter New Member

Amen!!! "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name"!!!"

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I believe most churches are spiritually dead and dont have the Holy Spirit and so they try and cover that up by introducing the rock and roll and dancing down the isles and generally acting like idiots so that everybody will mistake that for having the Holy Spirit.

Holy true Joy isnt involved in that.

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Rv:3:20: Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
    the solution to a dead church is to let Jesus in.. not a bunch of manufactured happiness

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Claudia,

That's a broad brush you paint with. I think "rock and roll" churches are still in the minority. Most churches still worship in more traditional methods.

I will agree that manufactured emotionalism cannot substitute for God's presence, no matter how hard one tries.

I'm not willing to go along with your assertion, though, that "most churches are spiritually dead and don't have the Holy Spirit." There are "dead folks" and "living folks" in most churches.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Now I have to wonder with all these people who are picking on the OT because of word frequency, do they discount the OT as authoritative?

It someways it seems that way cause it cuts in on their rockin' and rollin'.

To losely paraphrase Ecclesiastes, there is a time and a place for everything.

10. myfavoritmartin

What could you possibly mean by this?
    You've not heard where two or more are gathered...
    Have you ever truly been moved by the holy spirit I wonder?

Are you saying people being moved by the holy spirit are actually deceiving ie. satan?

11. myfavoritmartin

You know as well as I, that the old testament is authorative, but the new testament brought about the good news. This is the cause for jubulance and joy. Rejoice in the resurrection.

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Yes it a cause for joy but that doesn't override the need for solemness in services.

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

myfavoritemartian,

NO Im saying they are deceived and dont really have the Holy Spirit, for if they did they wouldnt be jumping around acting like fruitcakes.

did JESUS act that way in the sanctuary? did He have the Holy Spirit?

I mean, some of these idiots actually start barking like dogs and having sex in church, seriously, and they claim they are being possessed by the "Holy Spirit".

all it is is Satan's way of helping them cover up for their lack of true spirituality.

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Many churches are reporting spontaneous, uncontrollable laughter erupting from their congregations, even during times of solemn ceremony or messages from the pulpit. some report uncontrollable weeping, falling to the floor in ecstatic trances, and animal noises such as barking like dogs and roaring like lions. Some stagger and reel like drunken people, unable to walk a straight line. For simplicity's sake, all these have come to be called "holy laughter," since laughter is the preeminent phenomenon displayed. In simple terms, it is physical manifestations in the form of virtually any expression attributed to absolute control by the Holy Spirit. Holy laughter has received the endorsements of Oral and Richard Roberts, Marilyn Hickey, Paul and Jan Crouch, Karl Strader, Larry Tomszak, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, John Wimber and many other media luminaries. Media Spotlight, by Albert James Dager, page 1.

Note: The evidence of the Holy Spirit does not include barking or laughter.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit (evidence) of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Note: Sound doctrine does not call for out-of-control barking or laughing.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Note: When the Holy Spirit truly comes upon people, they will be witnesses for Jesus Christ.

Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."

15. myfavoritmartin

Chemnitz,
    Before looking at your profile I was quessing based on some of your posts that you were lcms. I grew up ms and solemness in worship was common, but as I have gotten older and switched to nd/baptist when I go back to my ms church it feels (my opinion) like the people are there out of obligation unlike where I attend now, people are jubulant and excited smiling walking up to church smiling leaving, and yes solemness enters our worship but it certainly is not the norm. and no, we dont rock and roll down the aisles but the spirit is alive and well in our congregation.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Summary: FALSE REVIVAL OF SATAN

a cover-up for lack of genuine spirituality

17. myfavoritmartin

Claudia,
    Okay I can honestly say I hadn't heard of these strange types of experiences, I guess I was speaking more in the line of clapping happiness and joy in celebrating gods word, I guess I would even find praying in toungues in public rather strange also.Though just as uncomfortable is the catholic mass/eucharist in their solemness.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now Claudia, the "sex in church" comment is silly and out of line. I don't go for the "holy laughter" bit either, but you shouldn't make ridiculous claims such as this.

Though I am not charismatic, I'm also not going to question anyone's salvation over exhuberant worship.

19. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I wonder if this being solem during song service has more to do with religiosity(sp?)?

All I know is I serve a living God, so I assume He might like it lively at times during praise and worship. I also agree there is a time for solem slow songs. But it depends on the way the Holy Spirit is leading. BTW, I am the Praise and Worship leader at our church and tonight I started with "The Old Rugged Cross" and moved on up to the upbeat praise music. Uh oh... and I broke away from the norm church mode b/c later in the service tonight as we sang one song I asked the people to greet their neighbor, the people moved among each other and shook hands and greeted the late commers.... seemed like that was the right thing to do at the time. :D

I'm from a Spirit filled church and I don't bark like no dog, nor have I heard anyone else make odd animal noises during service. Although the laughter thing...... well I have to say I been there and have my ideas about it. But my heart is all about pleasing the Lord and surely if there is something wrong with being happy and singing happy songs unto Him....He wouldn't give these singers the words and such talent to play them so lively. [​IMG] BTW, the most lively church music I still think is 4 quarter! So I'll Keep On The Firing Line and Count My (Your) Blessings! http://www.preciouslordtakemyhand.com/christianhymns/keeponthefirinline.html
    (BTW, theres no way to sing neither of these two songs solem!) [​IMG]

20. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think you are projecting your own feelings upon the others in that congregation. They probably do find great joy in a service you think they are doing just to go through the motions.

I have had the chance to observe that here in my congregation where we have three different styles of service a straight up liturgical, blended, and a youth service. Each attracts a different kind of person, who expresses joy in a different manner. I am one of the odd balls who is at home in all the services including the youth service where I need ear plugs so I don't lose my hearing. ;) The one thing that is consistant in all of the services is their is a time of solemness and a time of joy. The flow of a service done properly reflects our life with the Lord. Solemn contemplation as we reflect on our sinful lives, joyous praise as we rejoice in God's promise of forgiveness, quiet reflection as we sit at the feet of the Lord learning His word, earnest yearning as we lay our cares at his feet in prayer, satisfaction as the Lord feeds us at His table, and joy at the reassurance as we depart from His table having recieved that which He promised. That is what we experience in all of services albiet expressed in different manners.