1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

solemness or joy during worship

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by myfavoritmartin, Apr 7, 2006.

1. myfavoritmartin

myfavoritmartin New Member

I think you are projecting your own feelings upon the others in that congregation. They probably do find great joy in a service you think they are doing just to go through the motions.

I have had the chance to observe that here in my congregation where we have three different styles of service a straight up liturgical, blended, and a youth service. Each attracts a different kind of person, who expresses joy in a different manner. I am one of the odd balls who is at home in all the services including the youth service where I need ear plugs so I don't lose my hearing. ;) The one thing that is consistant in all of the services is their is a time of solemness and a time of joy. The flow of a service done properly reflects our life with the Lord. Solemn contemplation as we reflect on our sinful lives, joyous praise as we rejoice in God's promise of forgiveness, quiet reflection as we sit at the feet of the Lord learning His word, earnest yearning as we lay our cares at his feet in prayer, satisfaction as the Lord feeds us at His table, and joy at the reassurance as we depart from His table having recieved that which He promised. That is what we experience in all of services albiet expressed in different manners.
    </font>[/QUOTE]well stated.
    God Bless this Easter weekend!
    he is risen
    HE IS RISEN INDEED!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

When I was a kid (60 years ago)we were admonished to be silent and worshipful as we entered the sank-chu-arry. But the actual service, while traditional, was fairly free and easy.

Then, over the years, I noticed that there was a deliberate attempt to rev up the congregation with upbeat music which elicited hand-clapping and foot-tapping.

I don't have a problem with clapping and tapping, but so much of it seems contrived. I was in a service once in which the worship leader started with clapping to a heavy drum beat, exhorting the congregation, "c'mon now, we've got to get in the spirit. C'mon. C'mon!" Does't it seem strange that this "getting in the spirit" required a heavy beat?

I also understand that the joy of one's salvation and the worship of an almighty God can produce visible expressions of that joy. No problem there, either.

And then, there was this Sunday evening service at my church where it seemed that God was present in a tangible way that everyone could sense. The reaction, however, was not clapping, tapping and dancing. It was silence. Then some tears. Some raised hands. A sense of awe.

I thought to myself, what would happen if Jesus walked through the door into a service? Would there be shouting and jumping up and down? Maybe. How about falling prostrate at his feet, face in the carpet? More likely.

Either way, I like it better when the Spirit of God comes down instead of having to be worked up.

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Now, what Tom just said, thats what I was trying to say to begin with. It all seems contrived, like a "put on show".

Besides that, the celebration movement actually came from the Roman Catholic church. The idea is to get all protestant churches doing the same things so as not to have much difference between them.

The Catholic church also started doing the same type things in some instances, so as to make protestants and catholics alike in some respects. You arent so afraid of something that is alot like you. Its called the "Celebration Movement".

Boy I could tell you some stuff about this but I cant get over to my other computer at the moment.

The catholics have something called Inculturation and Acculturation. One means to go into a church and work behind the scenes toi make it more like your own, the other is to work in your own church to chip away at it, making it more like the other denominations. The end effect is you cant hardly tell much difference anymore between the cathoic church and the protestant churches. ecumenism done in a behind the scenes way, its a Jesuit tactic.

you all should read the book "How to save the catholic church" by Andrew Greeley

claudia

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

and by the way the sex thing and the barking like a dog are actual things some churches are doing, Im not just making this up

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Claudia,
    I have seen the laughing, barking, shaking stuff, but I have never heard of having sex in church as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Ew.

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well Claudia, I assume you ran for the door as fast as you could when you seen that happen huh? :eek: I would have reported this behavior to the board to whom gave this preacher's ministry liscenes. Acually this is what every one ought to know, because their ministry liscenes can be pulled if they are out of line with what the Word says.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Ministry liscenses"?

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

:rolleyes: Yes, that is... if they have license!

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hope of Glory,

He is just talking about what is needed so you can legally marry people, etc

One needs no liscense of course to pastor a flock or preach, teach, etc.

I was part of a house church back in the 80's that consisted of about 12 people who gathered at the one members house every thursday evening and sometimes on Sunday. The one who did the teaching had no liscense from the state, but he was every bit the "pastor" in Gods eyes as the pastor of the 25,000 "member" Baptist church down the street.

Grace and peace,

Mike

10. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Actually, as a minister you don't need a license to marry people, just proof of ordination.

Some denominations for the sake of order license their ministers to illustrate they have met the qualifications to be a minister.

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Here you have to be licensed before you can marry folks. Also to get tax relief for your church I believe you got to have documentation to prove you are a church and I could be wrong but a ministry license would be one such proof.

I was thinking about the music during worship and it would be great to just have alot of different styles. I'm sorry, I'm just that way. Just like sitting in one place with the same veiw, after a while I got to git up and look at something different.