1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some good theology book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ChurchBoy, May 22, 2006.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I recently joined a Baptist church. I want to get some good theology book recommendations.

Thanks!

ChurchBoy

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

3. doulous

doulous New Member

Are you looking for a systematic theology or a book on a specific area of theology?

4. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Are you looking for a systematic theology or a book on a specific area of theology? </font>[/QUOTE]I'm looking for Systematic theology. I have copy of Millard Erickson's Christian Theology. I would like to read others as well.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Are you looking for a systematic theology or a book on a specific area of theology? </font>[/QUOTE]I'm looking for Systematic theology. I have copy of Millard Erickson's Christian Theology. I would like to read others as well. </font>[/QUOTE]I reccommend Wayne Grudem's systamatic theology.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Here is a good list:

*Systematic Theology by Berkhof

*Christian Theology by Erickson

*Systematic Theology by Grudem

*Integrative Tehology by Lewis and Demarest

*Systematic Theology by Hodge

*Institutes in Elenctic Theology by Turretin

*Institutes of Christian Religion by Calvin

*Studies in Theology by Boettner

*The Works of Warfield by BB Warfield

*A New Systematic Theology of Christian Faith by Raymond

*Systematic Theology by Dabney

*Dogmatic Theology by Shedd

*Systematic Theology by Strong

*Lectures in Systematic Theology by Thiessen

*Systematic Theology by Chafer

*Body of Divinity by Gill

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Term: Theology

Two Greek Words: Theos = god
    Logos = Word
    This term is not found in the Bible

Theology Proper = The doctrine of God

Your Bible
    BDAG (look it up on Amazon)
    An NA-27 text
    Robertson's Word Pictures
    Vincent's Word Studies
    Rotherham's Emphasized Version or the CLV for studying.

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Systematic Theology" by Norman Geisler is a four volume set that covers ground in a manner that few, if any, theologies do. It not only explains the theology, but includes extensive quotes of influential church fathers to support each point.

But further, it not only explains the correct view, but at each point discusses the major false teachings, who held it, and why it is incorrect.

But further, it also has the foundational concepts upon which any understanding can be built. Concepts like logic, interpretation, language, absoluteness of truth, etc.

But further, it includes what is possibly the first ever guidelines for interpreting general revelation.

But further, it is one of the few theologies that understands that many of the errors in church history were due to poor philosophical concepts that had crept into the church in disguise.

About 2500 pages, well worth every page.

Hodge, Chafer, and Warfield are also quite good.

9. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

There have been some good recommendations so far, one post excluded (good luck studying the OT with that particular list). I would recommend, as always, the often-overlooked series "Foundations of Evangelical Theology" from Crossway. So far there are three editions:

"The Cross and Salvation" by Bruce Demarest on soteriology

"No One Like Him" by John Feinberg on theology proper

"To Know and Love God" by David Clark on theological prolegomena.

Great volumes each on their respective topics. All of them go in much more depth than systematic theologies because they're a series of monographs on particular loci.

regards,
    BJ

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yes, we would hate to use God's word to form our theology, wouldn't we?

The BDAG is the final authority that most Greek experts accept. The electronic edition has more than 25,000 additional references to classical, intertestamental, Early Christian, and modern literature. It is a lexicon and not simply a concordance; it does not simply list how and where each word is used.

The ones that I listed have not been influenced by anything other than the language itself, unlike Strong's, Vine's, and many others that are based on the KJV, and are therefore influenced by the translators. They will permit you to compare Scripture to Scripture, as we're instructed to do.

And I always recommend new believers to start with the NT, so they don't run out and start sacrifices. (OK, that's extreme, but it does happen.)

Edited to add: This doesn't mean that you should throw your Strong's away. It is very valuable in listing where each word is used.

11. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Despite your sarcasm, many, if not all of the theological works listed above use Scripture as their foundation (which you would know if you actually read them instead of dismissing theology altogether and trying to make hay of the fact that the word isn't in the Bible).

I own BDAG and know what it is, and I know that if you don't know Greek you'll have a lot of trouble looking up anything in it.

I've never heard of new Baptists starting animal sacrifices after studying the OT but would be interested in any stories pertaining to that.

blessings,
    BJ

12. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Wow. Lots of great info! Thanks everyone!

In Christ,

ChurchBoy

13. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

Grudens work is great. He comes from a reformed view yet is very well rounded. Ryries basic work on Bible Doctrines is also very nice.

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Where have I ever dismissed theology? I think theology is of utmost importance. In fact, that's why I broke it down, and then confronted the KJVO's (and others) argument that it's never in the Bible. That's why I recommend the Bible as the basis instead of other mens' opinions about what is said; it's important!

I also never said that Robertson and Vincent did not use the Scriptures as a foundation, as that would be pointless. What I did say, if you care to read is that they look at the Greek itself and what the words say, including using other contemporary works to come to a complete understanding of what the words mean. (Perfect? Of course not. No work of man is.)

What does this mean? It means that instead of translating to make it fit certain doctrines, the form their doctrines to fit what Scriptures say.

The BDAG is not that difficult to use, with a little effort. I don't think you give people enough credit. My church runs the gamut from 8th grade dropouts to a retired astronaut, and none of them have any trouble, as long as they put the effort into it.

But, I've never said to simply dismiss the works of others. I read Pink, Ironside, Spurgeon, Henry, and others. But, for an understanding of theology, why not go right to the source?

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    churchboy,

I would recommend highly "All of Grace" by Charles Spurgeon.

I would also recommend "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis.

They both have had a profound and lasting impact on my life. They are not systematic theology per se; but are nonetheless life changing, deep, and thought-provoking.

sdg!

rd

16. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CB,

By-the-by, the study of theology is not just "I read that book of (on) theology" now I can move on.

This study, for the serious Christian or the full-time Christian worker should be one of their passions for life-long learning. Be carful not to read the latest "How To" book for starting this or that ministry. Remember that; theology (whatever the doctrine) plays itself out in methodology. They are symbiotic twins. If you have a good message then you will have a good means to the end as well.

You read the great men and then stay away from the fads of theology and the church. Unless of course, you read them to critique them withyour own theological understanding. Young people are so easily swayed "with every wind of doctrine" today. When heresy comes along they cannot even perecive it.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God..." for yourself. DO NOT get your theology second hand from the influence of your home pastor or anyone else. BE YOUR OWN MAN! And also, be slow to attach yourself to any one theological system.

Forwhatitisworth! ;)

sdg!

rd

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Rhet,

We’ll have to part company over C.S. Lewis. I’ve considered you a pretty good theologian and I cannot understand how you could recommend Lewis’ theology when he was certainly no theologian at best and probably a heretic at worst. Although I was a Lewisan fan in college, further reading, study, and thought brought a reversal of my position on Lewis.

I recommend that you check out John W. Robbins’ paper at http://www.trinityfoundation.org/PDF/205a-DidCS.LewisGotoHeaven.pdf

Let me know what you think.

Paidagogos

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

This is great advice here. I would wholeheartily second this!

19. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

a couple of other recomendations...

The Contours of Christian Theology series

James Montgomery Boice's Foundations of Christian Faith

and I do not think anyone mentioned the classic by JI Packer called "Knowing God"... here are some wise words re the study of theology:

For this very reason we need, before we start to ascend our mountain, to stop and ask ourselves a very fundamental question—a question, indeed, that we always ought to put to ourselves whenever we embark on any line of study in God’s holy book. The question concerns our own motives and intentions as students. We need to ask ourselves: What is my ultimate aim and object in occupying my mind with these things? What do I intend to do with my knowledge about God, once I have it? For the fact that we have to face is this: If we pursue theological knowledge for its own sake, it is bound to go bad on us. It will make us proud and conceited. The very greatness of the subject matter will intoxicate us, and we shall come to think of ourselves as a cut above other Christians because of our interest in it and grasp of it; and we shall look down on those whose theological ideas seem to us crude and inadequate and dismiss them as very poor specimens. For, as Paul told the conceited Corinthians, “Knowledge puffs up. . . . The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know” (1 Cor 8:1–2).
    To be preoccupied with getting theological knowledge as an end in itself, to approach Bible study with no higher a motive than a desire to know all the answers, is the direct route to a state of self–satisfied self–deception. We need to guard our hearts against such an attitude, and pray to be kept from it. As we saw earlier, there can be no spiritual health without doctrinal knowledge; but it is equally true that there can be no spiritual health with it, if it is sought for the wrong purpose and valued by the wrong standard. In this way, doctrinal study really can become a danger to spiritual life, and we today, no less than the Corinthians of old, need to be on our guard here."

I would also add that while we need to be cautious re reading other books etc, we must also remember that we are never an island unto ourselves, for it is God Himself who has given teachers to the church, so never feel bad about availing yourself of the great men and women of God who have gone before us... some people want to act is if no one had the Holy Spirit leading them until they came along.... test all things, prove all things.... true, but don't be so arrogant as to think you never need the church, the body... Spurgeon said, in his book Commenting on Commentaries, in Lecture I:

"In order to be able to expound the Scriptures, and as an aid to your pulpit studies, you will need to be familiar with the commentators: a glorious army, let me tell you, whose acquaintance will be your delight and profit. Of course, you are not such wiseacres as to think or say that you can expound Scripture without assistance from the works of divines and learned men who have laboured before you in the field of exposition. If you are of that opinion, pray remain so, for you are not worth the trouble of conversion, and like a little coterie who think with you, would resent the attempt as an insult to your infallibility. It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what he has revealed to others."
    http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/c&c.htm

20. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    paidagogos,

Although you and I have disagreed before, I am surprised at your mild rebuke.

I am not telling the questioner to "swallow the bones with the meat," only to expose himself to a pleathora (sp?) of theology and "schools of theology." He should not just take one theological tome and have it as the only one he reads and ingests. True?

And I don't know why you would part fellowship with one (me) over a recommendation of one monograph (if indeed this is what you are doing?)? Which, I do not believe you are. But, maybe a word of clarification from you is needed to clear this up?

This instance and example concerning Lewis is exactly what I am trying to get him to learn to do for himself. He cannot possibly know to make the kind(s) of decisions that you have put upon me if he is not widely read and his "own man?" That is all I am trying to have him understand!

By-the-by, I take your compliment to heart! Thank you for it! I really did not realize anyone was watching or even cared?! I will be more careful to craft better theological answers and reflections in the future based "on the wounds of a friend!"

sdg!

rd