1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Justice for New Orleans Gun Owners

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Disarming a criminal in the course of making an arrest is completely acceptable. Using necessary force to stop a crime in progress or make a arrest of a suspect is completely acceptable.

Disarming a law abiding citizen - or stealing their weapons from their homes - is completely unacceptable. Using necessary force to "prevent" a crime by a person with no such intention or action is completely unacceptable.

Most law enforcement officers - current or former - understand and respect the difference. Law enforcement exists to help the citizens - the law abiding citizens - maintain law and order in society.

Government, unfortunately, often has a way of over reacting to problems by making too many laws to "prevent" problems while avoiding the direct solution. These laws don't do anything to hinder the law breakers. They just make life more difficult for people who do not misbehave.

Such laws - or directives - are implemented because officials conclude that, because some crime has occurred - perhaps something very news worthy - at the hands of some criminals - people who have no respect for law, no "ordinary" citizen can be "trusted" by the government to respect law much less do their part to uphold it. The incidents have time and again served as excuses for the government to increase their grip upon the citizens. Often these are well intentioned attempts but they end up being misapplied and counter productive.

Government, unfortunately, also frequently focuses upon regulating those that are compliant because they're less of a problem to deal with. That's why some police officers in New Orleans - and by no means all because many are worthy of commendation for their great work - did nothing when needed but were around when they were not or when the work was just breaking down a door and rounding up weapons from citizens who did not resist or where not even there to do so.

2. OCC

OCC Guest

Good points Dragoon. I agree.

3. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

My point, obviously not well put, was that even though the NRA people say they won't give up their arms, the incident in LA. proves otherwise.

Honoring God would be fulfilling my duty as a husband and father to protect my family, and since the Constitution and Bill of Rights allows it, it is good. As much as I deplore taking another's life I would do so to protect my family. In a heartbeat.
    </font>[/QUOTE]hillclimber, I would protect my family as well. but I would not use a gun and kill someone. In the event that I would, I would know that I was wrong. There is no excuse for it, even if you are "protecting your family". I don't know where the Bible tells us to kill in order to protect our family. It does tell us to hate our father and mother (in comparison to our love for Christ). If it does tell us to kill to protect our family, thus honouring God, then I am open to it. Please show me where it says that.

To Bunyon: we may be having a shooting spree in Toronto. You have them over there too. I guess these criminals doing the shooting figured they had the right to bear arms. Maybe they were lunatics and thought they were protecting themselves or their families.

In any case, if they didn't have the guns, would the shooting spree happen? BTW...any sane American with the right to bear arms could one day go nuts and go on a shooting spree, claim the right to bear arms, say his mother beat him up when he was a tyke and he feared for his life cuz some mean guy who looked like his mama made a face at him.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The very fact that you have stated you will not use a gun,(deadly force) means you are an easy target for evil. All the bad guys have to do is show a gun and they know they win. Killing for self (familial) protection is fully warranted, and God never says to hate your parents. Just the opposite. The Bible doesn't have to say it. It infers it.
    Your sane shooting spree scenario is not valid. Going nuts negates the sanity part.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

Dragoon...agreed.

hillclimber...I don't believe I'm an easy target for evil. I have God to protect me. But hey...we're all targets.

I believe Jesus said "if a man does not hate his family he cannot be my disciple". I will go look up the exact reference though...to satisfy the bloodlust of a certain member here.

I may change my mind about fighting back. But if it's wrong to fight back verbally on the BaptistBoard...why would it be ok for us to fight back physically and kill someone?

My shooting spree scenario is valid. A sane person can go insane. That is what happens every time someone goes insane. They were sane at one time.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Luke 14:25-27

25 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple

I'm wondering if I can even be His disciple if I kill someone in self-defense...as that would be "loving my life". But according to someone on here...what would I know?

6. OCC

OCC Guest

And others in the past on here have basically called me a heretic for saying that we should hate our family in comparison to our love for Christ. There it is though...in black and white.
    The defense rests.

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

King James,

I'll take my chances on a Loving and Forgiving God being able to forgive me for defending my little blond haired, blue eyed granddaughter.

People who are unwilling to use guns should not own them. You are wise not to own a gun.

8. OCC

OCC Guest

Oh I'd probably be willing...but would I be right?

9. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

You've simply gotten contextually off track. Don't rest to long, you need more doctrine in your soul.

10. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Your hesitation would get you killed and the question would be moot.

11. OCC

OCC Guest

You've simply gotten contextually off track. Don't rest to long, you need more doctrine in your soul. </font>[/QUOTE]Advice taken. Note though, that I said we are to hate them in comparison to how much we love Jesus.

12. OCC

OCC Guest

Your hesitation would get you killed and the question would be moot. </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe. Maybe not. I can trust God to not let the guy's gun work. I can trust God to kill him on the spot. Or I can trust that it was God's time for me to go. He determines when I die and how...not me. If it were up to me...I would feel differently. I would not let someone shoot me. [​IMG]

13. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

All personal defense teachers make one point very clear.

If there is any ambiguity in your mind about using deadly force then do not carry a gun or a knife for self-defense purposes.

The person who carrys a weapon must have already determined in his or her mind that they will use the weapon to terminate the threat.

Hesitation, doubt or confusion will get you killed most of the time in a hostile confrontation.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

Hardsheller, I agree with you. You are right, from one perspective. The other perspective though, is that God could protect you in any myriad of ways from being killed. If there were no God in the picture, I'd totally agree with you. But God is in the picture and though I still totally agree with you, I am considering the alternative perspective that I provided...if anyone can follow what I just said. :(

15. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

He didn't need a gun either. Jesus Christ would suffice. But that's just my thinking...

Then a believer wouldn't need seat belts, guards, security systems, dogs, insurance of any kind, new tires, etc.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

I don't know...Jesus told us to pray for our enemies not to fight back. He never gave an opinion one way or another on security systems, dogs, seatbelts or anything. But He did tell us to obey the laws of the land and that requires wearing seatbelts.

I am trying to have a decent debate with you but I know for a fact someone will say we are fighting so I think I will end it here. Been fun.

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Witnesses: New Orleans cops took Rolex watches, jewelry

When will the mentioned stolen "weapons" be returned to their rightful owners?

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I imagine some bright individuals will say that in order for instances like this to be avoided in the future the registering of all guns will be necessary.

I doubt many will be returned to their rightful owners.

19. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Yes Poncho, they continually try to get us separated from our guns, but the second amendment stands firmly in the way. They ultimately will succeed if we continue on the path of a living constitution. But registering the guns does not require a possession change. You would continue to retain possession. Incedently, the criminal simply wouldn't comply with registration demands.

20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Louisiana Police Car Theft Charges Investigated

Where are the cars they stole? Where are the guns they stole?

Don't forget this lesson in abuse of police power and dereliction of police responsibility.

It's a disgrace to all the many fine law enforcement officers in this county.

But it's also a warning of what can happen and why we need to always keep the government in check.