1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some of the Genetic Evidence for the Evolution of Man

Discussion in 'Science' started by UTEOTW, Nov 7, 2004.

1. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

More molecular data that agrees with the fossil data concerning the evolution of man and the other apes.

"Phylogenetic relations of humans and African apes from DNA sequences in the psi eta-globin region," Miyamoto MM, Slightom JL, Goodman M, Science. 1987 Oct 16;238(4825):369-73.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3116671&dopt=Citation

2. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Genetic BALONEY!

3. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

More genetic BALONEY!

4. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"More genetic BALONEY! "

That is a convincing comeback. It is on par with your other posts over the last few days. Nothing of substance, but I guess it makes you feel good to be handing me such a stinging rebuke.

Here is another case where the genetic data corresponds with the fossil record on human evolution.

"A comparison of TSPY genes from Y-chromosomal DNA of the great apes and humans: sequence, evolution, and phylogeny," Kim HS, Takenaka O, Am J Phys Anthropol. 1996 Jul;100(3):301-9.

5. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Gibberish!

6. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Gibberish! "

I don't know how much longer the data I am presenting can withstand such stinging attacks that go right at the facts in play.

But I'll keep trying.

Here is another example of genetic data that just happens to match the fossil record of human evolution.

"Molecular evolution of the psi eta-globin gene locus: gibbon phylogeny and the hominoid slowdown," WJ Bailey, DH Fitch, DA Tagle, J Czelusniak, JL Slightom and M Goodman, Molecular Biology and Evolution, Vol 8, 155-184.

http://www.mbe.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/8/2/155

7. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Redundant hyperbole!

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Redundant hyperbole!"

Great comeback there.

Here is another case where the genetic tree is found to match the fossil tree for human evolution. It is getting redundant. But not in your favor.

"Methods for Computing the Standard Errors of Branching Points in an Evolutionary Tree and Their Application to Molecular Data from Humans and Apes," Masatoshi Nei, J. Claiborne Stephens, and Naruya Saitou

http://mbe.library.arizona.edu/data/1985/0201/5nei.pdf

9. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Here is another redundant statement.

"Molecular phylogeny of the hominoids: inferences from multiple independent DNA sequence data sets," M Ruvolo, Molecular Biology and Evolution, Vol 14, 248-265.

10. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Reiterative rhetoric!

11. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Hominoid humbug!

12. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Hominoid humbug!"

Still overwhelming us with data I see. You missed making a snappy comment for the last one, the one that said "the problem of hominoid phylogeny can be confidently considered solved."

In the mean time, here is some more genetic evidence for you to chew on. Amazing how that genetic evidence keeps matching the fossil evidence if the fossil evidence is not true!

"Molecular evidence on primate phylogeny from DNA sequences," Goodman M, Bailey WJ, Hayasaka K, Stanhope MJ, Slightom J, Czelusniak J, Am J Phys Anthropol. 1994 May;94(1):3-24.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8042704&dopt=Citation

13. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Holy Hominini and Hominina!

Just watch out with those ad Hominini attacks cuz I ain't no Hominina!

14. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I'll continue to respond to the word games with facts. The word games are not convincing in the least. The facts are extremely convincing. At least to those who open their minds.

Another example of using genetic data to track the evolution of man.

"Cytochrome b Phylogeny and the Taxonomy of Great Apes and Mammals," Jose Castresana, Molecular Biology and Evolution 18:465-471 (2001)

http://www.mbe.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/18/4/465

15. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

UTEOTW posted November 23, 2004 10:01 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The facts are extremely convincing."

What facts?

"At least to those who open their minds."

And their wallets.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Using maximum-likelihood phylogenetic trees constructed from a large number of complete or nearly complete mammalian cytochrome b sequences, I show that the distributions of intrageneric and intergeneric distances derived from these trees are clearly separated, which allows the limits for a more rational generic classification of mammals to be established. The analysis of genetic distances among hominids in this context provides strong support for the inclusion of humans and chimpanzees in the same genus."
    ==========================

Genetic junk!

16. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"What facts? "

Have you been reading? You see, I have been presenting something called evidence. You might not recognize it. But it consists of those little bits of data above and in other posts that support the things that I assert. For instance, in this thread I assert that the chance that man did actually evolve from an ancestor common to the other apes is very high because the genetis evidence from a wide variety of sources agree with the data that can be gleaned from the fossil record on the same subject. This data would be extremely hard to explain without common descent being a fact.

Your responses are great examples of not using any facts. You basic response seems to be to make some general, nonsensical, unsupported, unsupportable assertion. I guess when there are no facts to support your position, you must play the hand that you are dealt. I think the hand you are attempting is simply to get your name at the end of each post. It certainly is not to make a reasoned and factual rebuttal. Again, when you have no facts, your options are quite limited.

How is the sand down there?

"And their wallets."

Ummm. I'm not paying for any of this. Not sure of your point.

"Genetic junk!"

You think that response up on your own?

Let me show you how to find facts. Again. This time another paper on the agreement between the fossil record and the molecular record.

"Primate Phylogeny: Morphological vs Molecular Results," Shoshani J., Groves C.P., Simons E.L., Gunnell G.F., Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 1996, vol. 005, no. 1, pp. 102-154(53).

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ap/fy/1996/00000005/00000001/art00009

17. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

UTEOTW posted November 24, 2004 04:49 PM
    -------------------------------------------------

"You see, I have been presenting something called evidence."

Your "quotes" aren't evidence of evo. They are merely assertions based on a belief in evo.

"But it consists of those little bits of data above and in other posts that support the things that I assert."

These "little bits of data" just reinforce prior beliefs in evolution.

"For instance, in this thread I assert that the chance that man did actually evolve from an ancestor common to the other apes is very high because the genetis evidence from a wide variety of sources agree with the data that can be gleaned from the fossil record on the same subject."

There is no genetic evidence for evo over millions of years. Geneticists can only trace human ancestry back to a continent of origin.

"This data would be extremely hard to explain without common descent being a fact."

What data?

"Your responses are great examples of not using any facts."

It might be helpful if you were to explain just what you think a "fact" is before we start discussing them.

"You basic response seems to be to make some general, nonsensical, unsupported, unsupportable assertion."

Nonsense. I'm just responding to the facts.

"I guess when there are no facts to support your position, you must play the hand that you are dealt."

What "facts" support your position besides the "facts" which other evos claim are facts?

"I think the hand you are attempting is simply to get your name at the end of each post."

It's a 'fact' that our names are posted at the BEGINNING of each post.

"It certainly is not to make a reasoned and factual rebuttal."

Well, I may not have the same kinds of "facts" at my disposal which you do but that doesn't mean that my arsenal of "facts" is inferior to yours.

"Again, when you have no facts, your options are quite limited."

Is that why you attempt to belittle other posters?

"How is the sand down there?"

Down where? Are you in some ivory tower?

"Ummm. I'm not paying for any of this. Not sure of your point."

Well, many other evos make a lot of money pushing their Darwinist beliefs, don't they?

"Let me show you how to find facts. Again. This time another paper on the agreement between the fossil record and the molecular record."

Papers that "agree" with the fossil record and the molecular record (according to evos) are biased at the outset, so why bother?

quote:
    Close relationships among Homo, Pan, and Gorilla have been confirmed during recent decades; Pongo is the sister group to this trichotomy. With increasing molecular data, Homo and Pan appear to be closer to each other than to any other living hominid taxon. Gorilla is a sister group to the Homo-Pan clade and Pongo is a sister group to all of them. Morphologists have given limited evidence for such a dichotomous grouping. In this study, we support the Homo-Pan clade, although with characters not as strong as for other clades."

Babbling balderdash!

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Some evidence:
    http://www.uchicago.edu/aff/mwc-amacad/biocomplexity/conference_papers/goodman.pdf

Here's some human and chimp chromosomes matched up:

[​IMG]
    Notice that even where there is one human chromosome to two for the chimp, the two line up exactly like one human chromosome as a fusion. There are even remains of telemeres where the fusion occured.

It's more that than, too. Primates lack the ability to make vitamin C. Like some other animals, they have a damaged gene for vitamin C. But all the primates have it damaged in the same way, and no non-primate does.

The phylogenies of humans and other apes is based on evidence. You might not like it, but that's how it is.

I was making a lot more money before I retired and started teaching about evolution. If you expect to get rich on Darwinism, you'd better be an extraordinarily gifted writer.

19. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

"I was making a lot more money before I retired and started teaching about evolution. If you expect to get rich on Darwinism, you'd better be an extraordinarily gifted writer."

You can always make a decent living teaching evo in public schools.

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

There's a big difference between what you consider a decent living and what I consider a decent living, karl.

It took years of saving to get to the point where I could afford to do it.