1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "some of you" believe not

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 22, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You need to read the rest of the context in Jeremiah 31 which shows this drawing was effectual to the savlation of "ALL" Israel (Jer. 31:34). Their resistance was overcome as that is what irresistable grace is, it overcomes resistance and if there were no resistance then there would nothing to overcome.

However Jeremiahs 31:3 forward to verse 34 is an EFFECTUAL CALLING AND GATHERING from all nations and "ALL" are saved "from the least to the greatest." I suggest you more carefully select your proof texts and more carefully read the context your proof texts are found as this context repudiates your very argument:

3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.4 Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry.
    5 Thou shalt yet plant vines upon the mountains of Samaria: the planters shall plant, and shall eat them as common things.
    6 For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.
    7 For thus saith the LORD; Sing with gladness for Jacob, and shout among the chief of the nations: publish ye, praise ye, and say, O LORD, save thy people, the remnant of Israel.
    8 Behold, I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the coasts of the earth, and with them the blind and the lame, the woman with child and her that travaileth with child together: a great company shall return thither.
    9 They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.
    10 ΒΆ Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock.
    11 For the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.
    12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all........
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Finally, their RESISTANCE was under the OLD COVENANT TERMS but there is NO RESISTANCE under the NEW COVENANT terms and we are under the very same NEW COVENANT as verse 34 is quoted twice in Hebrews, once in chapter 8 and once in chapter 10 as the New Covenant of Grace.

So your whole argument falls under the OLD COVENANT terms not the NEW COVENANT TERMS and Jeremiah 31:32 proves their resistance was under the OLD COVENANT terms and Jeremiah 3:1-25-34 proves IRRESISTABLE AND EFFECTUALLY calling under the NEW COVENANT.

John 6 says Judas "IS" a devil six chapters previous to John 17. John 6 places him among the FALSE PROFESSORS who did not believe in Christ (Jn. 6:64). The Father gave Judas to Christ and Christ chose Judas still being a "devil" to be "the son of perdition."

Your theory requires PITTING scripture against scripture while my interpretation HARMONIZES both scriptures.

Your theory calls Christ a liar as Christ says he "IS" a devil and is placed among "some" professed disciples whom christ "KNEW FROM THE BEGINNING" never believed and were never drawn by the Father (Jn. 6:64-65).

I presented this evidence in much more detail in response to your first post on it on another thread and you never responded to the evidence. Neither do you respond to the evidence against your position here but simply repeat it.

Deal with the evidence against your position.

#41 The Biblicist, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

What? You defend a doctrine you know little about? Here is an article on the subject from a Reformed site.

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/90-296

No, Calvinism teaches the effectual call makes you believe. The scriptures teach the word of God works in them that believe, the exact opposite.

Here is an example. Suppose someone told you the grocery store is giving away a hundred dollars worth of free food, all you have to do is go down and get it.

Well, if you believe you will go down. Your faith will effectually work to cause you to go down.

If you do not believe you will not go down.

It is faith that causes the word to effectually work in you.

What is the context of this verse?

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You can't be serious? You are likening the power of God to the strength of a net made by humans???????

You can't be serious? You actually believe the context of the fishing exposition is applied in that same context to the doctrine of drawing by the Father? Verse please??

You just jerk a text out of context here and there and weave them together and build a doctrine. The power of God is not like a human net that breaks because of too much stress against God's power so that man breaks God. Pleeeeease!

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

This text repudiates your teaching! This text does not say 'SOMETIMES" or "OFTEN" ye resist the Holy Ghost as did your Fathers but "ALWAYS" - as that is the condition of the "carnal mind" in Romans 8:7.

The state of "enmity with God" and being "not subject to the will of God" (resistance) is the active condition of the carnal mind. It is that way by nature and needs nothing but exposure to the light to show its hatred of the light.

A fish being pulled in by a net is having that resistance overcome as the power of God is stronger than any human net and that is why it is called irresistable grace. Not because there is not resistance but because the resistance is rendered ineffectual by a greater power.

You can't say he was because NOTHING in the text or context says he was! Moreover, John 6:45 denies that "ANY MAN" so drawn by the Father fails to come to Christ.

Bottom line, EVERY SINGLE PROOF TEXT you have used totally OMITS the word "draw" or "drawn" and you READ IT INTO the text and the definition of "eisgesis" means to "READ INTO THE TEXT" what the text does not say or mean.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was effectually drawn by the Father to the Son,by the Spirit...before I knew anything about reformed,non reformed....:wavey::wavey:

Jesus seeks and saves those given to Him by the Father.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 and Romans 8:28-30; 1 Thes. 1:4-5; John 6:37-39; John 6:44-45 all teach the effectual call and teach it clearly. If you would care to take this subject up and these texts up on another thread, I will be more than happy to accomodate you.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

As usual our opponents dare not address the evidences put forth in the OP. Here they are again, if anyone cares to directly address them.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

As I said to Amy, there is much other scripture besides this, there is Stephen telling the Jews that they do always resist the Holy Ghost.

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

You can't resist something that is not holding you or pulling on you. A fish that is freely swimming in the lake is not resisting you. The moment you hook him and attempt to draw him in, then he can fight against you and resist you. Words have meaning.

King Agrippa was almost persuaded. This shows the Holy Spirit was having an influence on him, it was drawing or enticing him to believe, yet, as far as we know, he never did become a Christian.

And as I mentioned before, king Agrippa also refutes Total Inability as Paul said he KNEW Agrippa believed the prophets.

Acts 26:27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
    28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

So no, I do not form my beliefs from one single verse of scripture, I look at scriptures overall to determine what I believe. There is much scripture that easily refutes Irresistible Grace.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh brother! You are so full of yourself. I do not know of anyone who repeatedly quotes his own self like you!

Simply insisting you are correct doesn't make it so.

10. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

OH HOGWASH. There's no such thing as "effectual calling" The BIBLE says "DRAW" the same way in Jeremiah as it does in John 6. Plain and simple. You continue to add presupposition garbage to God's word. It has nothing to do with "gathering all nations". Verse 34 is STILL ABOUT ISRAEL. But anyway, using YOUR logic on John 6:39-40, Jeremiah 31:3 comes before Jeremiah 31:34, so the definition of DRAW comes before verse 34. Verse 33 CLEARLY says "this covenant will I make with the HOUSE OF ISRAEL" You just read a whole bunch on nonsense right into the text. Jeremiah 31 says nothing about "Gathering all nations". It says gathering ISRAEL from all nations.

Israel's resistance was NOT overcome. They were DRAWN and REJECTED GOD. Jeremiah 31:3 says 'I HAVE drawn thee" not "I WILL draw thee" to fit your presuppositional at-some-time-in-the-future application. Can you tell the difference between the "I WILLS" and "I HAVEs"?? God DREW THEM, and THEY WOULD NOT. The "I WILLS" are what God is going to do at the millennial kingdom, the I HAVES are WHY HE HAS TO DO IT AGAIN because Israel WOULD NOT (Matt 23:37).

You refuse to accept the plain reading of Scripture that clearly shows that God had DRAWN Israel, and Israel RESISTED and REJECTED God. That's why Jeremiah 31:4 has to say "AGAIN I will build thee".

Your view on Judas does not fit Scripture, IT FITS YOUR ARGUMENT. Your argument, however, is not based on Scripture. The account with Judas only seems to contradict John 6 when you READ EFFECTUAL CALLING INTO THE TEXT. You want to dance around the text and use human reasoning to explain it way, but WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY? It makes no difference that he was a devil, Jesus said that...OK wait for it, pay close attention to this..

HAVE I NOT CHOSEN YOU TWELVE -John 6:70

He didn't say He CHOSE ELEVEN, and yet all Calvinists use John 12 and 17 to tie presuppositions together but do not apply the terms "CHOSEN" and "GIVEN" consistently. CONSISTENTLY applied, these verse show that the Father GAVE Judas to Christ, Christ had CHOSEN Judas, and Judas was LOST. Why? Because He did not come, and that blows the Calvinist interpretation of John 6:37 and John 6:44 to the moon and back. There is not contradiction with John 6:37-44, ch 12, and 17:12. The conflict is in the erroneous Calvinist definition of CHOSEN, DRAW and GIVEN that must be eisegeted with man-made theological presuppositional terms to explain the condundrum that the plain reading of the Bible does to their system.

#50 DrJamesAch, Jul 22, 2013
  11. Winman

Winman Active Member

None of those scriptures teach that some men are called with a powerless "general" call, and that others are called with a powerful "effectual" call.

Show me where ANY of these verses say any such thing. You can't do it.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one takes you serious at all.I do cut and paste but I say so openly.

I do not plagiarize Jonathan Edwards and claim I wrote it.Everyone is onto you so I need not waste too much time with your bogus ideas...false greek,and everything else they have caught you offering up.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

You just keep telling yourself that over and over again, and maybe someday you will be convinced. :thumbs:

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

As I said before, this text does not say "SOMETIMES" but "ALWAYS." This text teaches absolute total depravity and refusal of the carnal mind to "submit to the law of God."

Secondly, a mind that is at "enmity" with God and "is not subject to the law of God" ALWAYS resists God because that is its nature not because God is drawing it but because it HATES the light and "WILL NOT COME TO THE LIGHT because its deeds are evil. Resistance is its nature and it needs no drawing but only exposure to light to resist it.

Did Paul say it was "The Holy Spirit" that "almost" persuaded him? No! Does Paul say elsewhere that "we" as preachers "persuade" men? Yes!

2Co 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

As you admit yourself:

it was drawing or enticing him to believe, yet, as far as we know, he never did become a Christian. - Winman

There is no evidence from this text that refutes irresistable grace or totatl depravity! Nothing except what you READ INTO the text.

#54 The Biblicist, Jul 22, 2013
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I will be glad to open a thread up to this subject. Coming soon to your nearest Baptist Forum.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I just stated the facts! If you can find one poster that addressed directly each of the evidences of the OP then please do point it out!!! As normal all opponents can't deal with the OP but try to derail it by changing the subject and so here we go again.

The OP provides evidences to prove that Judas was not given by the Father as "given" is defined in John 6 or "drawn" by the Father as defined in John 6. He was chosen by Christ and given to Christ by the Father to be "the son of perdition" and as one who were part of "some" that "FROM THE BEGINNING" NEVER BELEIVED but who never believed but at the time of John 6 "IS A DEVIL" and continued to be a "devil" right to his death.

17. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Burl Ives called and wants his beard back. If I was going to plagiarize anyone, it certainly wouldn't be a Calvinist slave owner. You can't even get the right author that I quoted, and of course I never said it was mine, I just let you believe that because you and your buddies were so caught up trying to prove me wrong that I knew you would contradict anything I said, and it worked like oil on a piston. I'm pretty sure you still have nightmares about getting outwitted like that that you refuted your own colleagues. Thanks for bringing that up though, I almost forget. That was one of the funniest things I've seen was a Calvinist arguing against his own theologians.

You have spent way too many nights in a cramped up truck bed. Get some exercise and stretch out once in a while. Eat a Snickers. You're not you when you're famished. :)

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

LOL, you still don't get it. If I said my neighbors NEVER go to church, no, not one, would you understand that to mean they were UNABLE to go to church?
    NO, and no logical and thoughtful person would ever assume that, yet that is exactly what you are doing, reading INABILITY into scripture where it is not mentioned.

Just because these persons have always resisted the Holy Spirit does not mean they are unable to repent and believe. You simply assume Total Inability, this scripture (and no scripture) does not say, prove, or even imply inability.

I agree, but this does not mean a person cannot think another way. Jesus said his disciples were indeed willing to obey him.

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

This was BEFORE the disciples received the Holy Spirit, so Jesus is speaking of their natural spirit here, and Jesus said they were WILLING. You can't simply ignore scripture you don't like.

You are grasping straws now. Paul always preached with the Holy Spirit.

I do not have to refute irresistible grace, it is not mentioned in scripture one single time. You need to prove that it exists.

19. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

If the Holy Ghost is irresistible, then it makes no difference how you butcher Romans 8:7 because regardless of whether a sinner is "ALWAYS" resisting, irresistible grace says HE CAN'T. Acts 7:51 doesn't say that "Because they were unable, they were always resisting because they were bound to their nature" No it doesn't say that. According to irresistible grace, God CHANGES THAT MIND SET so even if you interpretation of Romans 8:7 were correct (and it's isn't by a long shot as I've already proven), it would MAKE NO DIFFERENCE HERE because they resisted the HOLY GHOST. You can't RESIST unless you are CALLED.

Your entire brush off of Acts 7:51 totally contradicts your own view of total inability for ALL OF US were dead in trespass and sins. We were ALL like that unsaved person who sinned. Just because you claim that the audience in Acts 7 was "always resisting" because of Romans 8:7 means nothing. ALL OF US were once a Romans 8:7 if that's how you wish to view it, yet the evidence in Acts 7 shows that the grace that was offered by the Holy Spirit (which IS the Holy Spirit's role-John 16:8-9) was RESISTED. It can't be called RESISTANCE if they are never CALLED. Your argument only shows that they resist naturally, but that doesn't explain how they are RESISTING THE HOLY GHOST. Acts 7:51 is a death blow to Calvinism no matter how you try and spin it.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ach

It did not work at all.I clearly said no one would pick on you if you posted those things.You did not out wit anyone by your lying. You are lying right now...go look at what I posted.....why lie ACH??

You are delusional.I could not believe you would lie then or now but it seems to not be a problem for you:thumbs:

It did not happen.....so the joke is your post.

Thanks for your concern Ach:wavey: If you repent and get serious about scripture I would look forward to helping you.:thumbs:

Here is what I said ACh-

#60 Iconoclast, Jul 22, 2013