1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some thoughts & a prelude to my book

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John Public, Oct 24, 2015.

1. John Public

John Public Evangelist, author, muscian. Meek servant.

With much to do and the Ms. needing me, I'm going to be intermittent here. However, let me bless God for this opportunity to fellowship with some lovely fellowservants on this Board in spite of the rotten apples. What inspiration to holiness some of you are!

A dear brother, also a violinist, and I were musing one day about a topic the source of much ache & bewilderment in the faith which ought not be so- wine.
    We embarked on a study of the entire Bible; we are almost finished since there is but five verses in the NT.
    Our goal was to determine what is wine, how it is to be utilized, and how not; and above all, is "wine a sin".

The saying a man never gives his secrets comes to mind since I'll be writing this book after a couple articles and another book. Ms. P. has graciously volunteered her editorial skills. Fellows, I suppose that is good because she mustn't think her fiancee is stupid, right? :D

Here is a brief summary of what we have thus far noticed:
    •Wine appears in many offerings as a metaphor for blood alongside the blood of doves, rams & goats.
    •God promised to bless the first & latter rain in the law if Israel obeyed him. Solomon several thousand years later gave payment for Huram's services in 20,000 baths of wine, which in the US gallon is 700,000-1,000,000 liquid gal/wine, 264,978.824 l/wine to 378541.178 l/wine. This would have to be carried in the modern sense on a super tanker.
    •Wine was a daily part of the Hebrew diet; you'd die if you drank the water, and it was often fermented.
    •Contrary to the accusation of some, wine was not sinful except where clearly defined, such as judging a matter, in the archane Nazarite vow not in play in the new testament, and social drinking was sorely banned; Lot & Noah learnt firsthand why this is a bad call.

Here is a brief clip by Chad Wagner of Minneanaoplis Church, who describes on his page as being a "Sovereign
    Grace Baptist",

#1 John Public, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. John Public

John Public Evangelist, author, muscian. Meek servant.

You're sleepy. What does this have to do about vino?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because this is an old old subject here at the BB.

HankD