1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some video games can harm kids

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by computerjunkie, Jul 18, 2003.

1. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

This article was in the Dallas Morning News today. I think it's a great article, and she makes some excellent points.

Source: Dallas Morning News

(Edited to add source link.)

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Great Article C.J.! I check out games on this Christian site!
    Al Menconi's Ministries: Music/ Video's/ game reviews and more. Click Here Parents!

Al has lyrics to songs, ratings on games, etc. and a lot more. I've found some games there that I'd never heard of or had 'ruled out' on assumptions. One game, Jak & Daxter, is called Christian Friendly but I had assumed, because the cover had some strange looking character, that it would be like a pokemon or digimon type thing. Wrong! Fun, Fun, Fun!

Diane

3. Brett

Brett New Member

We need to give children more credit. A ten-year-old can tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Sometimes, we think of children as mindless automatons who will absorb and emulate whatever they see on TV or in a videogame. With proper parenting - and a kid with even a modicum of common sense - a videogame will not damage a child.

4. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Thanks for your opinion, Brett. However, I disagree!

I believe people (children OR adults) can become desensitized to violence or any other kind of anti-social behavior if they watch it (or play it) enough. If a 10-year old is allowed to be consumed with playing violent video games, I would think it eventually has to affect his behavior.

Remember when certain inappropriate words were NEVER allowed to be said on TV? And now, little by little, words once considered taboo for commercial TV have crept in, one at a time, such that there are no words (that I can think of) that are considered "off-limits". The producers allowed one word to be spoken, then another, then another, and now there is very little "shock value" left for anything.

Proper parenting is a HUGE factor, but in lots of cases, it isn't there.