1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Want Refugee Word to Be Racist

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, I agree, that would be far better than letting them - meaning the race mongers who've made this an issue - demand that we change the meaning of words to fit their personal definitions and agenda. The word "refugee" has been in use for generations to define persons forced by tragedy to leave their homes to seek refuge elsewhere. Using this word to define their situation in no way demeans them as people nor suggests any lack of concern for helping them. The response to the needs of the refugees from this natural disaster has been overwhelming from many Americans. Race mongers are not needed, nor should they be welcomed, to interfere with providing generous help by polarizing people through silly redefinition of long accepted and understood words.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I myself thought that the newspaper Investors Business Daily had the best solution. They sidestepped the debate and called them hurricane Katrina survivors.

3. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I think they should be called "miracles of the Lord's mercy" but that would not be PC AT all.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Some of the survivors have stayed and some have become refugees.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We should, indeed, give thanks to the Lord that this disaster was not worse than it has been. We should pray that He will spare our loved ones of such things in the days to come. We need His continued blessings because, relative to what could happen, this disaster is minimal. Reading Revelations will remind us of how bad things will become some day by both the judgement of God through both nature and mankind.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the survivors have stayed and some have become refugees. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree, Dragoon, that it is important to show that refugee is a proper word and that we should not let guys like Jesse Jackson misdefine words for political reasons. Jackson is so discredited that he does need to be sidelined somehow.

The term alcoholic for a beggar on the streets has also fallen out of use. We now are forced to use the grandiose term homeless person to mean an alcoholic who seldom works and lives in missions and jails. In the case of liberalism, laughter is the best medicine that I know of but you can't laugh in public or on the job, only in cyberspace or at home.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Thanks for the reminder to have a good laugh from time to time! I certainly have to admit that I need it and, it seem, more often as I get older.

8. Grimlock Prime

Grimlock Prime New Member

Some people want this week's power ball numbers to magically fall into their hand as well. That doesn't mean that it will happen, anymore than the dictionary will magically change the meaning of the term "refugee" based on the number of so-called "black leaders" who whine about it and call people nasty names for using the term properly.

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Those are some good points Daisy! I appreciate the legal dictionary definition of the word and your thoughts on the subject. I frequently don't agree with your view points but I do respect your opinions and your ability to express them.

The hardships of war and persecution have created many refugees and that's a meaning that could be concluded from the word in certain context. The Immigration & Naturalization Service, for example, in accordance with the U.S. Code defines a refugee as "... an alien unwilling to return to his or her country of origin ..." which is completely in line with the second part of the legal definition you've provided.

Here, restated but with my emphasis instead, is the definition you provided:

Everyone knows the people in New Orleans are either American citizens, residents, or visitors with the majority being citizens. No one thought of them as people fleeing a country to get away from persecution just to place themselves here in harm's way. No one considered them less important than any others up and down the Gulf Coast effected by the hurricane. Everyone knows these people are not seeking political asylum.

The context of the usage is, rather, the first meaning given for the word to which I've given emphasis in the legal dictionary definition.

Of course, if the word "refugee" has a negative connotation even in the second meaning, then that connotation would apply to those for whom the word were "legitimately" used. We would then have to "look down" on a "refugee" who was fleeing from persecution and seeking asylum in our country. In this case, I know several persons rather well that I would have to "look down" upon for their prior status in life.

The word, in this case, would not be the problem but, rather, the attitude of the person using it. Therein is the real problem with words!

Many words have more than one meaning and there are common meanings and technical meanings within various professions.

"Evacuee" is not even defined, from what I can find, by either Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law or Black's Law Dictionary. Perhaps it is a relatively new legal term? It is commonly defined as "a person who has been evacuated from a dangerous place" so that does fit the definition of the refugees from Hurricane Katrina. I don't recall this word being used much before but I could be wrong about that as it might be a regional matter. There is no reason to use a new word to redefine something that already has an acceptable word or to stop using an acceptable word because a new one has been created.

Consider that "victim", for example, is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as "The person who is the object of a crime or tort, ..." and doesn't mention other meanings of the word in common use. The people harmed by this natural disaster could certainly be called "victims" of it even though this particular legal definition might not associate that cause with the consequence. The meaning depends upon the context.

The point I'm making is that, regardless of dictionary or legal dictionary definitions, "refugee" has been used for generations and is clearly understood by common people in the proper context. It has been used in our country to describe people seeking refuge from the consequences of natural and man-made disasters. It never has had a negative connotation when used to describe our own citizens or residents.

The further point, is that this issue was raised by race mongers who frequently seek to turn events into matters of race when they are not. They desire to agitate those they seek as followers in order to give themselves a continued base of power which they do not merit.

That, more than anything else, is reason enough not to accept their redefinition of this word. To do so, would concede they are correct in their agenda which is to discredit the rescue operation as being driven by racial preferences.

If I believed, or could be convinced, that the majority of reasonable people who are being called "refugee" truly felt offended by it of their own accord and not by the instigation of race mongers, then I would consider not using it even though it has long been used in a perfectly acceptable manner.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when they can't FIND a racial issue, they INVENT one! :mad: :rolleyes:

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    These "Some" need to get a life....if you get my drift.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesse Jackson likes trouble all the time. In a Shakespearan play, he would be the character Pandarus, except that what he procures is racial hostility. He is totally shameless.

13. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

And people listen to him. That is the even scarier part.

14. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

The media types are trying to make it a PC issue.

I have no negative feeling to refugee.