1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some will not see death until the Kingdom comes. When is this?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Amazing! Two Sundays ago my Sunday School teacher said there was a difference.

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but if it is not a question of who is alive then Christ needn't even have mentioned the tasting of death. That phrase cannot just be passed over.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Well Jesus said for one thing that those who believe in Him will never see death. Do you believe this?

Then there are those who will not see death but in the twinkle of an eye will be changed.

Work it out.

Not too hard.

I have not seen death yet. Will I? I will never leave you or forsake you.

4. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This does not touch upon the problem of the passage at all.

5. David Michael Harris

Maybe it does. Do Christians see death. Also surely a born again person sees the Kingdom before he dies?

6. David Michael Harris

Was this not before Pentecost? Have we forgot Pentecost?

7. David Michael Harris

James tasted physical death after Pentecost.

#27 David Michael Harris, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  8. David Michael Harris

Does not any true born again Christian see the Kingdom of God come with power.

Christ's words are cryptic at times if you ask me.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

What exactly does this mean if it's not about who's alive:

"which shall not taste of death"

Clearly Jesus is indicating some will not be alive to see this event.

Here is what Jesus said they would see:

"till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

No, and why? Because Jesus said only some standing there would not taste of death before this event occured.

Except of course the preceding verse that you completely ignored and which is connected by the "Verily".

10. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

So let me get this straight, saying "some standing here shall not taste of death" has nothing to do with some being "alive" and some not?

You to also ignore verse 27.

11. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

[​IMG]

The Study of the Time and Nature of Christ's Second Coming: The nature of Christ's return is being hotly debated, at last. Did Christ predict a return in a literal fleshly body, as most modern believers suggest? Or was Christ's coming to be an event in which He would come in the same way His Father had come, many times, in the Old Covenant? The latter is the clearly stated truth, yet, this essential truth is greatly ignored by most Bible students. The preterist view of prophecy is growing rapidly, across all denominational boundaries. The Gordian Knot problem of the New testament time statements of the nearness of the end is unraveling in light of a better understanding of the nature of Christ's parousia (presence). In short, Jesus did not promise to come back in a physical body! He promised to come as the Father had come, and that precludes a visible, bodily coming! But, this convincing explanation is not welcome by all, and preterism is being labeled as heretical. undaunted by such charges, Don K. Preston candidly confronts the leading critics of preterism today, responding in-depth to the writings of John MacArthur, Kenneth Gentry and others, showing that their paradigm is false, and that their accusations are misguided. In this comprehensive and definitive work, Don K. preston shows with powerful, persuasive evidence, that Christ's second coming was not to be a bodily, physical, visible return; but a manifestation of His Sovereignty as He came, In the Glory of the Father!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0938855271/?tag=baptis04-20

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many think this is an embarrasing quote for Christianity.

13. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Essay "The World's Last Night" (1960), found in The Essential C.S. Lewis, p-385.

"Say what you like," we shall be told, "the apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, ‘this generation shall not pass till all these things be done.’ And He was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else. It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible."

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For yet a very little while, He that cometh shall come, and shall not tarry. Heb 10:37

After the transfiguration:

...And the high priest said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou art the Christ, the Son of God. Jesus said unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven. Mt 26:63-64

Josephus records the death of Annas during the siege of Jerusalem AD70 at the hands of the Idumeans.

from the Parousia:

21 Peter therefore seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
    22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me.

15. David Michael Harris

Geez that's a mix, surprised you did not throw some Eusebius in there.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been soooo many answers given and sooo many 'problem passages' cleared up for me since I began using the 'Preterist modifier'.

17. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Kyredneck, there is more to you than meets the eye. :thumbsup:

18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Eusebius:

On Matthew 24:15
    "--all these things, as well as the many great sieges which were carried on against the cities of Judea, and the excessive. sufferings endured by those that fled to Jerusalem itself, as to a city of perfect safety, and finally the general course of the whole war, as well as its particular occurrences in detail, and how at last the abomination of desolation, proclaimed by the prophets, stood in the very temple of God, so celebrated of old, the temple which was now awaiting its total and final destruction by fire,-- all these things any one that wishes may find accurately described in the history written by Josephus." (Book III, Ch. 5)

On Matthew 24:34
    "And when those that believed in Christ had come thither from Jerusalem, then, as if the royal city of the Jews and the whole land of Judea were entirely destitute of holy men, the judgment of God at length overtook those who had committed such outrages against Christ and his apostles, and totally destroyed that generation of impious men." (Book III, Ch. 5)

19. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

He's right. There is. Just remember, it wasn't Matthew who used the different terms, it was Jesus. He was quoted by Matthew. This isn't some confusing part of the narrative. There was a reason Jesus kept the two terms separate.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have heard this as well, but why does Jesus refer to both the kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven in these verses? He uses the terms interchangeably.

Mt*19:23 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    Mt*19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.