1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Something every Christian should ask theirself. .. .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Sep 28, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

That's not the one I'm thinking of, the one I'm thinking of someone made into a song.

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Which song? [​IMG]

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The song must have been taken from that passage - there is not a verse that says

"They shall know we are Christians by our love."

The word "Christian" only appears three times in the Bible.

Acts 11v26; 26v28; 1 Peter 4v16

and none of them talk about love.

4. HildaM38

HildaM38 New Member

bruren777..how is a fish a Christian emblem? I have a book called "Too Long in the Sun" in there it says..Fish have been used in pagan worship since antiquity. Dagon the fish god of the Babylonians and the Philistines. The historian, Layard, in his book "Nineveh and Babylon"describes the fish god: "the head of the fish formed a mitre above that of the man, while the scaley,fan like tail fell as a cloak behind,leaving the human limbs and feet exposed. There's a picture of it in the book and underneath it says - Fish God-found at Nimrod temple. Why I looked into pagan history is because I heard that some of our Christian holidays originated from pagan worship, you can visit their web site at http://www.toolong.com

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Ancient acrostic

ichthus

The Greek word for fish - the Greek letters are the first letters of "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Saviour"

and was the first Christian symbol.

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Rachel,

I think some Christians care about the lost, and some don't.

One phrase I hear more and more from non-believers is, "You Christians want people to go to hell." This leads to a discussion of the difference in the difference in trying to save someone from an obviously deadly situation and in wanting them to die, but the fact we are perceived as wanting them to go to hell - bothers me.

I have this absolute fear that someday I'll be in heaven, and someone waiting to be cast into the lake of fire will look across at me and say, "Why didn't you tell me?"

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

To expand on what C4K said:

Iota Chi Theta Upsilon Sigma:
    Iesous (Jesus)
    CHristos (Christ)
    THeou (of God)
    Uiou (the Son)
    Soter (the Savior)

The Apostles were referred to as fishers of men. Followers of Christianity were called "Pisciculi" whose root is from the Latin word meaning "Fish".

The icthus was used a secret password when Rome was killing Christians. If two strangers met, and didn't know if the other person was a Chritian or not, one would draw ) in the dirt. If the other person was a Christian they would finish the symbol with { so that it came out (), the outline of a fish.

8. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Now that is interesting. Is this really true, the fish drawing thing? :cool:

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive heard it IS true, Sample, AND Ive heard its an urban legend, too.

Its one of those things I tend to not worry about, although its interesting.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Well, the Ichthus is found in the Catacombs at Rome as far back as AD 234 in the Lucina crypt in the Catacomb of Callixtus, Rome.

The first reference to it as a Christian symbol was Tertullian's De Baptismo written around 193 AD. Terullian wrote in Latin, except for that one word, which he put in Greek, and he writes in a way that assumes it is well known to other Christians.

Clement of Alexandria also refers to it as a Christian symbol in Padogogus (The Tutor) which is written around 202 AD. Clement sanctions it as a proper symbol for a use as a seal from a signet ring.

Augustine of Hippo wrote about the ichthus as an acronym in De Civitate Dei or "The City of God." This was written around 426 AD, and he is the one who says that ICHTUS means "Jesus Christ the Son of God, the Savior."

11. HildaM38

HildaM38 New Member

Thank you C4K and Texassky.

I better get myself a Greek Dictionary, I have the A.D. set of videos:The Most Compelling Drama of the Early Church Ever Produced From the Producer of Jesus of Nazareth.
    The fish symbol is used in that set of videos.
    I have quite a number of Bible vdoes, I watched them instead of TV, theses days most everything on TV is junk, except for a couple chanels we get Christian programs, we have Sattlelite instead of cable, we get the Miracle chanel.
    Sorry about the long dragged out reply!!!