1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Son Of Perdition

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brice, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not so sure the evidence points to Judas not being saved.

The son of perdition had entered Judas and I think this is who Jesus was referring to. Only one has been judged to perish and that is Satan; the judgment seat hasn’t happened yet for anyone else.

Judas was not only called a traitor but also a friend. In order to betray someone you must be a trusted friend. Jesus had to be turned in by a friend according to prophesies. Judas helped in that fulfillment and while doing so Jesus called him a friend. Jesus chose him that the scripture would be fulfilled:

(Joh 13:18) I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

And that scripture says:

(Psa 41:9) Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

(Psa 41:10) But thou, O LORD, be merciful unto me, and raise me up, that I may requite them.

Could an unsaved man cast out Devils?

(Mat 12:26) And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

Judas was one of Jesus’ disciples, is not being a disciple being saved? Did he not pick up his cross and follow Him?

You can not have two Masters. When Jesus allowed Satan to enter Judas his master was money later Judas threw away the money and chose his true Master.

I’m not so sure Judas committed suicide either, more on that later.

2. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    P.S. Peter was also called Satan and later denied Jesus, was he not saved by this reasoning?

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Benjamin,
    You take a very interesting postition. If it would be no trouble, could you explain you view on his suicide and the Bible calling Peter Satan? Thanks for the insights.

4. Brice

Brice New Member

Just a reference for your statement on Peter would be sufficient. Thanks.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice,

Peter being called Satan and denying Jesus:

(Mat 16:23) But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offense unto me: for thou savorest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

(Mat 26:34) Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Judas death in Matthew:

(Mat 27:3) Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

(Mat 27:4) Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

(Mat 27:5) And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Judas death in Acts:

(Act 1:18) Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

(Act 1:19) And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue , Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
    Also the potters field was a field of blood spoken of in prophesy.

The old explanation that is said, “Oh, well the branch he was hanging on must have broke and his rotten gut burst out.” If you ask me that's quite a stretch. Yuk Yuk

I think though there is lots of evidence to point that Judas was murdered. I lean to believe the words “hanged himself” could mean “choked in his grief unto death” and that these evil murdering chief priest may very well have obliged him.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But Peter wept and apparently truly repented because he was filled with the HS and was one of the preaching apostles.

When Jesus called Peter Satan, it was because Peter was saying something that Satan would want - that Jesus would not do what he had come to do. The text does not indicate that Peter had Satan in him. On the other hand, the text is clear that Satan entered Judas.

Just because Judas had remorse and gave his money back does not mean he was saved. In that case, we could preach that all one need do to be saved is have remorse. I had lots of remorse before I was a believer because remorse is just feeling bad about what you've done, maybe because it had a bad result for you or makes you feel bad. It does not even necessarily mean guilt.

I have seen no scriptures that indicate Judas was saved and only see scriptures that mark him as the traitor he was.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia,

Just as the Bob Dylan song goes:

“With God on Our Side”

In a many dark hour
    I’ve been thinkin’ about this
    That Jesus Christ
    Was betrayed by a kiss
    But I can’t think for you
    You’ll have to decide
    Whether Judas Iscariot
    Had God on his side

;)

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] Repenting of a deed is not turning to God. There are many directions in which to turn but unless that turning isn't toward God it isn't repentance unto salvation.